Airfare and upgrade through Oceania

Has anyone ever utilized the airfare and premium airfare upgrade through Oceania?

Do you have access to non stop flights, seat selections and what day you’d like

to fly in? This would be an international trip for us so not looking for layovers.

Thank you!

Terri

16 minutes ago, Guest said:

Has anyone ever utilized the airfare and premium airfare upgrade through Oceania?

Do you have access to non stop flights, seat selections and what day you’d like

to fly in? This would be an international trip for us so not looking for layovers.

Thank you!

Terri

A tremendous amount here:

1. Oceania’s airfare is for arrival on day of Embarkment and departure upon disembarkment. If you want to do either on a separate day, one must pay a $175 deviation fee.

2. One, or their TA, can request specific flights. Oceania will then inform you if any extra costs are involved for those flights.

3. Oceania’s PE upgrade offer is for the international leg of the flight. All domestic flights, either here or abroad are domestic. 

4. Oceania has the PE upgrade arrangement with specific airlines. So offer is not available on all airlines. Plus they are capacity controlled. Best to book early if you choose to use this promotion.

5. Seat assignments are contingent upon specific airline policy. For example, with some airlines, Oceania must both book and pay for the flights before one can choose seats. Doesn’t always happen well in advance of the flights.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used the PE  seating on a trans Atlantic  it was worth it

We have paid the deviation fee to arrive early or stay longer  you do not pay the non refundable fee until you & Oceania agree on the flights/routing

Choose what you want then see if O can get them

If you want BIZ class  just DIY

Do the math for the extra  costs  against what you can book yourself  then decide what works for you

JMO

I would say give it a try. If you are willing to pay the deviation fee you have options. I was looking for a one way after our cruise from VCE-PDX business class and was actually able to get it for less through Oceania. i"m pretty good at shopping my own air but this year it's been impossible. I had our TA negotiate it for us and we didn't have to pay until we agreed on the flights. Also got better flights than I could find a it's always 2 stops for us anyway!

Booked air with deviation and PE (MAD-LHR-SEA non-stop) through O several months ago for a March trans-Atlantic. Easy to get our first choice for the whole itinerary. No air differential, so all I paid was the deviation fee...twice unfortunately. 😒 Lesson learned...be absolutely sure of your desired itinerary before you accept anything from O. (After paying for first deviation, we decided we wanted to extend the trip and fly home from MAD rather than LIS...hence the second fee.) And I was able to do seat selection (British Airways) immediately after accepting O's offer. (All you need is a locator number which you usually get when O sends the accepted itinerary. )However, even with our change of plans, the pricing was waaaayy less than what we could do on our own.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A tremendous amount here:

1. Oceania’s airfare is for arrival on day of Embarkment and departure upon disembarkment. If you want to do either on a separate day, one must pay a $175 deviation fee.

2. One, or their TA, can request specific flights. Oceania will then inform you if any extra costs are involved for those flights.

3. Oceania’s PE upgrade offer is for the international leg of the flight. All domestic flights, either here or abroad are domestic. 

4. Oceania has the PE upgrade arrangement with specific airlines. So offer is not available on all airlines. Plus they are capacity controlled. Best to book early if you choose to use this promotion.

5. Seat assignments are contingent upon specific airline policy. For example, with some airlines, Oceania must both book and pay for the flights before one can choose seats. Doesn’t always happen well in advance of the flights.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

6.     Prem economy seats   Up grade coach over minimal recline 3"  ( not lie flat) and only4" more pitch than economy!!!    They are only available for that flight   from the US  or to the US between continents.   They are NOT for  the domestic portion of the route.   Those are ALL economy seats .     ( a Flight  LAX- EWR  would be all coach   EWR- FRA would be prem econ  FRA-BCN or similar  would be economy. )      Its only good for part of  part of the trip !!!      Know too that if you bought prem econ seats... they are only a few hundred $$$ less than full  business lie flats...         Prem Econ  is NOT created equal.     

Remember airlines do not have a standards for " Prem econ.     You have to know the airline

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

6.     Prem economy seats   Up grade coach over minimal recline 3"  ( not lie flat) and only4" more pitch than economy!!!    They are only available for that flight   from the US  or to the US between continents.   They are NOT for  the domestic portion of the route.   Those are ALL economy seats .     ( a Flight  LAX- EWR  would be all coach   EWR- FRA would be prem econ  FRA-BCN or similar  would be economy. )      Its only good for part of  part of the trip !!!      Know too that if you bought prem econ seats... they are only a few hundred $$$ less than full  business lie flats...         Prem Econ  is NOT created equal.     

Remember airlines do not have a standards for " Prem econ.     You have to know the airline

Right. All of this was covered above. I'd like to know on what airline and under what circumstances does premium economy cost 'only a few hundred $$$ less' than business'??!! Current one-way MAD-SEA in BA business is over $7000. We paid $700 PE through O. Some of us don't have miles or want to spend the cash for upgrades. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jazznruby said:

Right. All of this was covered above. I'd like to know on what airline and under what circumstances does premium economy cost 'only a few hundred $$$ less' than business'??!! Current one-way MAD-SEA in BA business is over $7000. We paid $700 PE through O. Some of us don't have miles or want to spend the cash for upgrades. 

My TA recently quoted flights Austin to Frankfurt where PE was close in price to BC. Ridiculous!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Sorry, our total with O was around $1000.

7 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Who knows what method you use to get the bizclass fare. 

I start with ITA Matrix to get a basic idea and then I call United Airlines which has the best phone response AND can look further at any connecting Star Alliance flights with current sales that do not show on the United search engine OR even occasionally in ITA Matrix.

For example, about a month ago, I searched for SFO-CPT biz tix and found many $6-7k pp fares. Called United and unpublished price was <$3k pp (due to Lufthansa sale on their leg from Frankfurt.

Most importantly: you have to buy your O cruise “with air” to get a biz class ticket and, historically, O does not credit you the value of the economy tix when you accept the biz class quote. In essence, you end up paying two fares pp.

NOTE: recently, someone here on CC said they did get credit for the economy ticket in purchasing bizclass. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard that and, sorry, I don’t believe it!

In any case, the other issue is that you’d have to pay deviations if you want anything other that O’s contract carrier and, most likely, O’s quote will not be a non-stop flight. Plus you may not get FF miles.

Finally, traditionally, if O changes the itinerary, it will pay DIY air change fees up to (now) $300 pp and/or tix differential up to $300 pp.

Bottom line: O bizclass = more trouble than it appears to be worth.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am guessing your sailing did not have the "Special PE offer" ?

Or;

Oceania didn’t have a PE upgrade agreement with the chosen carrier; or

Those upgraded seats are capacity controlled by the airline, and no seats were left at the special pricing. Think frequent flyer programs. Just because a seat is available for sale doesn’t mean one can use ff miles to get it. Same with these group rate bulk package deals the cruise lines use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am guessing your sailing did not have the "Special PE offer" ?

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Or;

Oceania didn’t have a PE upgrade agreement with the chosen carrier; or

Those upgraded seats are capacity controlled by the airline, and no seats were left at the special pricing. Think frequent flyer programs. Just because a seat is available for sale doesn’t mean one can use ff miles to get it. Same with these group rate bulk package deals the cruise lines use.

No, as I mentioned above, we received the PE special pricing ($149/pp) on British Airways. The $1000 includes that and the 2 deviation fees because of our change of plans. Very happy with that. Could not have come close with DIY.

17 hours ago, jazznruby said:

United  Lufthansa, Swiss, Air Canada  ...      You do know the 1 way fare is charged as though  it were a round trip...right      My    So Cal (LAX-SNA-ONT-PSP) to Rome  , Zurich, Barcelona  were running about $3400 rt!   and PE was at $2600.     

Your 1 way selection is always a nasty fare unless your using FF miles ( which many of us save  for just such a situation)    

My point is that   the value and comfort level between Prem Econ ( a glorified economy coach seat) and Business  Class lie flat suites  to me and many, well worth the extra to arrive  rested and  well fed after a full night in a bed on board. to start you vacation fully rested     .       

Too, consider that if you buy Prem Economy,   you have to fly regular economy on all connecting domestic flights  in the US and in other countries.     Whereas, if you buy a Business class seat    you get first class on all flights that do not have Prem Econ seats.  

So... for a round trip, its only costing you $400 each way  more than  Glorified coach!       To me that's well worth it for a 12 to 16 hour series of flights  not to mention the extra baggage allowance and access to special airport lounges as well as fast track customs and security.  .     However,  you have to decide if it is worth it      After some 30 years of flying I caught on slow but I caught on good.... but as I said  I value my comfort and sanity more and more each year

It is also worthy to note that with the airlines new " demand pricing"   that  the price  for a given route can vairy according to  1. day of the week,  2. time of day  3.  aircraft used and 4. ease of connection and total time.            The fares I just quoted  ( mid summer 22)   on the same day would vairy as much as $5000 more depending on those factors!!!

Enjoy life.....  you only get one chance.......Ciao und Tschuss

ca5c4146-2235-403d-ba49-662dd008171f-smallScale_GaryLarsonsTheFarSidecomiccomingbackinnewonlineeraGooglecommons1.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jazznruby said:

No, as I mentioned above, we received the PE special pricing ($149/pp) on British Airways. The $1000 includes that and the 2 deviation fees because of our change of plans. Very happy with that. Could not have come close with DIY.

Ok that is the regular special deal  

But yes you changing your plans  does add to the cost  😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

United  Lufthansa, Swiss, Air Canada  ...      You do know the 1 way fare is charged as though  it were a round trip...right      My    So Cal (LAX-SNA-ONT-PSP) to Rome  , Zurich, Barcelona  were running about $3400 rt!   and PE was at $2600.     

Your 1 way selection is always a nasty fare unless your using FF miles ( which many of us save  for just such a situation)    

My point is that   the value and comfort level between Prem Econ ( a glorified economy coach seat) and Business  Class lie flat suites  to me and many, well worth the extra to arrive  rested and  well fed after a full night in a bed on board. to start you vacation fully rested     .       

Too, consider that if you buy Prem Economy,   you have to fly regular economy on all connecting domestic flights  in the US and in other countries.     Whereas, if you buy a Business class seat    you get first class on all flights that do not have Prem Econ seats.  

So... for a round trip, its only costing you $400 each way  more than  Glorified coach!       To me that's well worth it for a 12 to 16 hour series of flights  not to mention the extra baggage allowance and access to special airport lounges as well as fast track customs and security.  .     However,  you have to decide if it is worth it      After some 30 years of flying I caught on slow but I caught on good.... but as I said  I value my comfort and sanity more and more each year

It is also worthy to note that with the airlines new " demand pricing"   that  the price  for a given route can vairy according to  1. day of the week,  2. time of day  3.  aircraft used and 4. ease of connection and total time.            The fares I just quoted  ( mid summer 22)   on the same day would vairy as much as $5000 more depending on those factors!!!

ca5c4146-2235-403d-ba49-662dd008171f-smallScale_GaryLarsonsTheFarSidecomiccomingbackinnewonlineeraGooglecommons1.jpg

Love your Farside comics lately. He's one of my favorites. I love the cows. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well, I agree for the most part except that recently, when I was looking at our early 2023 cruise SYD-PPT (from/to SFO), I looked at a variety of combos (using 2022 fares) and, of course, had to test the RT vs OW cost. Much to my surprise, United OW SFO-PPT was less expensive than RT!!! (though not 50%).

I’ve yet to check example multi-city fares SFO-SYD + PPT-SFO w/and w/o FF points in the mix. Of course, with dynamic FF points as well as fares, who knows what will work that far out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Well, I agree for the most part except that recently, when I was looking at our early 2023 cruise SYD-PPT (from/to SFO), I looked at a variety of combos (using 2022 fares) and, of course, had to test the RT vs OW cost. Much to my surprise, United OW SFO-PPT was less expensive than RT!!! (though not 50%).

I’ve yet to check example multi-city fares SFO-SYD + PPT-SFO w/and w/o FF points in the mix. Of course, with dynamic FF points as well as fares, who knows what will work that far out.

The new travel world , looking forward is Hotels, Cruises and flights  will be using the new DYNAMIC price.       These , as mentioned  can vairy  many thousands,  not just day to day but hour to hour on the same day.     

I will agree that in the case of 0ne way flights between Europe, that O's offer, unless you have  FF miles is the only sane game in town.. .   

I also  agree that upgrading beyond PE with O  and  changing flights or requesting ANY add one's  up-grades or business class  is foolhardy costing you far more than you could do it.

To reiterate... For the difference between PE and Business class it is penny wise but pound foolish to book PE.

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

The new travel world , looking forward is Hotels, Cruises and flights  will be using the new DYNAMIC price.       These , as mentioned  can vairy  many thousands,  not just day to day but hour to hour on the same day.     

I will agree that in the case of 0ne way flights between Europe, that O's offer, unless you have  FF miles is the only sane game in town.. .   

I also  agree that upgrading beyond PE with O  and  changing flights or requesting ANY add one's  up-grades or business class  is foolhardy costing you far more than you could do it.

To reiterate... For the difference between PE and Business class it is penny wise but pound foolish to book PE.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You might try what I did 2 years ago.     I booked Air France  business class PPT-LAX and paid a return LAX-PPT  in super discount coach.    It was $1700 for the bus and $350 for the coach.   Regular one way was $3900.     Too, Sometimes O's charter planes have un-listed business class seats you can  book for a small . like $400pp over their O coach  fare.     You might have your agent explore that option.    I flew LAX to PPT  Business  on O air for $400pp !( Tahiti Nui)

Dan;

Since Oceania is no longer running its O Class ships ( Marina) to FP, I really question whether they will continue the charter flights. They can probably get all the passengers using their air, for same day arrival and departure, on the scheduled commercial flights. That charter is probably ancient history.

Edited by pinotlover

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

Since Oceania is no longer running its O Class ships ( Marina) to FP, I really question whether they will continue the charter flights. They can probably get all the passengers using their air, for same day arrival and departure, on the scheduled commercial flights. That charter is probably ancient history.

Well  that's life....   I was surprised at the ability to get Business.     I do know that Tahiti Nui sells  at the day of departure  2 hours  prior  any un sold  Business seats for I think $ 400 pp.     But that was  a few years ago.        Who knows with all this switch to "Demand Pricing"    Its like an auction..live  every day that never quits...........       Thanks Trooper...............