Quarantine?

17 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Sort of/must be.   The person was not  diagnosed with Covid, but the friends that had to "go home" .  Person wrote about the friend's SJ hotel   accommodations.   I hope that your kids Godparents will be OK 

Definitely talking about the same thing. They are irritated since the rules keep changing but mostly feel bad that their friends were caught up in this. Just talked to them and their flight that was planned for tomorrow (5 day mandatory quarantine) has been move to Saturday (8 day). They have taken no Covid tests while in quarantine and were told that they would not be taking a Covid test prior to flying back to US (i.e., don't ask, don't tell). Other than being bored, they have zero issues. Hotel is nice and they were given significant "meal budget" by RCL. As noted, 100% asymptomatic and would not even know they had it other than RCL telling them that they did. Since they already had Covid a month ago, they are still questioning if these were a false positive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

24 hours doesnt seem like a lot. Its quite a short quarantine if you ask me. What is the purpose anyway? I heard this thing can still be infectious for like 60 days or something. I wonder when this pandemic will end.. 

Actually it’s 5 days of being infectious, but they can still test positive without being infectious for a while, which is why many businesses and schools accept a 5 day prior positive test as well as negative tests as cleared.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

24 hours doesnt seem like a lot. Its quite a short quarantine if you ask me. What is the purpose anyway? I heard this thing can still be infectious for like 60 days or something. I wonder when this pandemic will end.. 

quarantine until a test!

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

It makes perfect sense. I don't know why so many seem confused by the protocol. 

They don't have the manpower to ensure you don't leave your cabin with quarantined folks all over the ship. If they're all in one area it's easier to monitor, and even if they get briefly out they're in an area with other positive folks.

It also makes sense as a precaution in case any positive folks need attention from the medical team. Easier if everyone is in one spot - and for most ships they're close to medical bay. 

Also they have extra precautions/sanitation in dealing with positive folks so it's easier to ensure protocol is followed when it's specific cabins that always have that protocol enacted. 

Medical doesn't want to come to people all of the ship for treatment. That is why + and close contacts are on a deck near medical for quarantine. 

48 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

We cruised on Adventure this month, and from what we learned aboard that ship, my understanding of the word QUARANTINE is that it's what happens when someone tests POSITIVE.  The passenger is moved to a cabin in a QUARANTINE area and provided with room service, movies, and internet, but no daily housekeeping.  

If a passenger is a close contact of someone who tests positive, the close contact person ISOLATES in their own cabin for 24 hours, also with room service and without housekeeping.  That person is then tested.  If the test is negative, then he/she can resume the cruise.  If the test is positive, he/she is moved to a QUARANTINE room. 

These were the protocols used on Adventure of the Seas on the Jan 3-7 cruise.  Nobody was disembarked mid cruise.

In the case I was referring to no one was disembarked mid cruise. They were made to disembark at the end of the first cruise and could not continue on with the  back to back

But for those of us who take back to backs ( I live far from port and that is basically all we do) it is certainly something to think about.   

m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a general question, and I’m not sure if anyone knows the answer.

If a person is a suite passenger (Or even a balcony)  and has to quarantine in an ocean view cabin for a portion of the cruise, do they receive any compensation for losing their suite?  

Thanks. 

m

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Actually it’s 5 days of being infectious, but they can still test positive without being infectious for a while, which is why many businesses and schools accept a 5 day prior positive test as well as negative tests as cleared.

My husband was in contact with someone on the ship that had covid. Don't know who it was.  They put a notice in our mailbox to remain in the room until we were tested.  We were in a balcony on deck 10 (Anthem 11day cruise).  They moved us to balcony on deck 6.  We were not allowed off in any in ports.  7 days in quarantine.  They said Royal's policy was 10 days.  I was in the same room.  They tested me twice.  Negative.  He had no symptoms at all

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Just a general question, and I’m not sure if anyone knows the answer.

If a person is a suite passenger (Or even a balcony)  and has to quarantine in an ocean view cabin for a portion of the cruise, do they receive any compensation for losing their suite?  

Thanks. 

m

I believe the policy is is still a prorated refund of all days spent in quarantine or isolation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badaple92 said:

My husband was in contact with someone on the ship that had covid. Don't know who it was.  They put a notice in our mailbox to remain in the room until we were tested.  We were in a balcony on deck 10 (Anthem 11day cruise).  They moved us to balcony on deck 6.  We were not allowed off in any in ports.  7 days in quarantine.  They said Royal's policy was 10 days.  I was in the same room.  They tested me twice.  Negative.  He had no symptoms at all

I have not heard of them moving and quarantining anyone without a positive test.  Did your husband test positive?  I also have read from other posts that both people do not have to quarantine.  If you  test negative you can stay in your room and test again in 24 hours, if that is negative then you are free to go. 

5 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

I am pretty sure the "friends" you are referring to are my kids' god-parents. There is even more to the story. They had both tested positive to Covid several weeks ago. Both asymptomatic but their parents (in their late 80s) were systematic (but both are perfectly well now). They were doing B2B2B2B2B2B2B. They missed their first B due to a lingering positive but had a clean bill of health for the second. Went through another 6-8 negative tests over the next two weeks while on the cruise (since had to take a test whenever they got off at certain ports). One tested positive on day 6 of the 2nd cruise. Follow-up test had them both positive. RCL put them in a hotel in San Juan and is sending them home tomorrow (after 5 days). They continue to be 100% asymptomatic. Their friends that they ate dinner with were basically just told "sorry. You have been exposed. Go home." with supposedly no help or assistance from RCL. Needless to say, my kids' god-parents are absolutely heart-broken as to the situation and how their friends were treated. Really bizarre case (fully vaccinated, already had Omicron a few weeks back, followed all RCL protocols, and then supposedly positive again a few weeks later).     

What ports required them to take a covid test?

9 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I've heard of many instances where the covid positive guest was moved from a suite/balcony cabin to an ocean view ( no balcony) for quarantine.  That would stink.

M

Yes, the procedure is to move positive tested guests to an oceanview cabin near the medical center on deck 2 or 3 (depends on the ship).    You must quarantine for 5 days.     You will get room service in paper containers, free surf & stream internet, free on demand movies and if you have a drink package and feel okay I hear you can even order cocktails.   

The Captain on my recent sailing of Anthem said the previous sailing had 23 or 24 quarantined passengers that had tested positive, no idea how many close contacts they tested.   My sailing had something like 72 crew that tested positive and we dropped them off in St Maarten to quarantine on Jewel. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

I am pretty sure the "friends" you are referring to are my kids' god-parents. There is even more to the story. They had both tested positive to Covid several weeks ago. Both asymptomatic but their parents (in their late 80s) were systematic (but both are perfectly well now). They were doing B2B2B2B2B2B2B. They missed their first B due to a lingering positive but had a clean bill of health for the second. Went through another 6-8 negative tests over the next two weeks while on the cruise (since had to take a test whenever they got off at certain ports). One tested positive on day 6 of the 2nd cruise. Follow-up test had them both positive. RCL put them in a hotel in San Juan and is sending them home tomorrow (after 5 days). They continue to be 100% asymptomatic. Their friends that they ate dinner with were basically just told "sorry. You have been exposed. Go home." with supposedly no help or assistance from RCL. Needless to say, my kids' god-parents are absolutely heart-broken as to the situation and how their friends were treated. Really bizarre case (fully vaccinated, already had Omicron a few weeks back, followed all RCL protocols, and then supposedly positive again a few weeks later).     

First let me say happy to hear they are both doing well and never had any medical issues with covid.    

Very curious what ports required they be tested to leave the ship.   

They would have been tested on day 6 of the 2nd cruise if they were planning on staying on the ship for a 3rd cruise.    That is standard procedure for b2b....cruisers to test all of them the last full day before the next sailing.     You just never know how accurate these tests are.    You can test with a home kit / rapid kit and get a negative then take a PCR and test positive.    Has happened to many travelers.    

Do their friends live in the US or did they travel internationally to San Juan to board the ship?   If Royal did leave them out to dry with no support to help arrange their travel home that is horrible but I also hope that is not true.   

I believe they said they had to test to get off the ship at Barbados and one other port (in addition to the test for their B2B). From the Facebook pics from the first week, I think they made at least 3 ports. It was when they were getting off the ship (I think they said Barbados) that their group was held up for an hour due to "computer system failure". After an hour waiting to get off the ship, they were then told that one had tested positive and everyone sent to sick-bay to get retested. 

They are from Texas but typically sail for 2-3 months from San Juan in the winter. As such, they had to have 2-3 negative test each before even getting on the ship the first time. 

Since they tested positive, they were well taken care of by RCL (probably did not hurt that they were Pinnacle as well). Their friends (also Pinnacle?) were not so lucky. Since they were strictly a "close contact" the RCL Covid agreement did not apply. I believe they were just told "Sorry. No B2B for you. Good luck getting home.". Cruisegirl1 probably knows more about that since she is on the forum with that couple (I just know what was said when they called us from the hotel in San Juan saying their cruises had been cut short).

So the moral of this story is that if you are doing a B2B in a foreign country, you WANT to be the one that tests positive and not a close contact to someone that tests positive. Get treated completely differently.    

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, puggylicious said:

Moving you from your cabin doesn’t seem right. There’s no reason you can’t quarantine there.  

They use to do it that way but people being people...Well...not everyone STAYED in their room.  So RCL fixed that problem.