Let us have a look at Belgium's situation

notamermaid

Entry Requirements for Belgium: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/current-entry-requirements-for-travellers-planning-to-enter-belgium/

I have put a chart together, look carefully at the timeline. Belgium is also past the peak:

image.thumb.png.340a86a39bc1a6b3af4044ad082ebe20.png

I was thinking: there has been much enthusiasm around Belgium and its delights, we strayed a bit from the actual topic - with quite a bit of fun. Got me to contemplate having a thread on Belgium.

Will get a few thoughts together over the weekend.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Will get a few thoughts together over the weekend.

notamermaid

Thanks.  Our Tulip Time cruise in April includes stops in Antwerp and Ghent.  Antwerp excursion choice is easy (walking tour that includes the Cathedral) – but I'm having trouble picking for Ghent:  (a) full-day Highlights of Ghent and Bruges, but it's not clear that we can actually see the famous Ghent altarpiece; (b) half-day walking tour of Ghent that seems to include the Cathedral; (c) full-day Bruges; (d) half-day Chocolate workshop.

My plan is to take (a) if assured we can see the altarpiece, and use the free time in Bruges to see Michelangelo’s Madonna and Child at the Church of Our Lady.  But another idea is to take the train from Ghent to Bruges, do a thorough walking tour on our own, train back to Ghent and see the Altarpiece on our way back to the ship.

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks.  Our Tulip Time cruise in April includes stops in Antwerp and Ghent.  Antwerp excursion choice is easy (walking tour that includes the Cathedral) – but I'm having trouble picking for Ghent:  (a) full-day Highlights of Ghent and Bruges, but it's not clear that we can actually see the famous Ghent altarpiece; (b) half-day walking tour of Ghent that seems to include the Cathedral; (c) full-day Bruges; (d) half-day Chocolate workshop.

My plan is to take (a) if assured we can see the altarpiece, and use the free time in Bruges to see Michelangelo’s Madonna and Child at the Church of Our Lady.  But another idea is to take the train from Ghent to Bruges, do a thorough walking tour on our own, train back to Ghent and see the Altarpiece on our way back to the ship.

When I was in my 20's I visited Bruges and wandered around the Church of our Lady on my own (no tour). Much later I read the Agony and the Ecstasy and learned there was a Michelangelo in that church that I had completely missed. Haven't been back to Bruges since. Be sure to see that painting for me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, avalong said:

When I was in my 20's I visited Bruges and wandered around the Church of our Lady on my own (no tour). Much later I read the Agony and the Ecstasy and learned there was a Michelangelo in that church that I had completely missed. Haven't been back to Bruges since. Be sure to see that painting for me.

It's not a painting. It is a sculpture of the Madonna.

https://www.michelangelo.org/madonna-of-bruges.jsp

Trying to visit every piece of Bruges heritage would take far more than a day. I first visited in my early teens on a school trip and fell in love with the city and its history but we especially went to see ‘The Pagent of The Holy Blood’ not to be missed if you get the chance. Add their ‘hot chocolate’ the best and their exquisite lace it’s a history, crafters and chocoholics paradise, and the saying says ‘what I’d Belgium famous for’?

• 2 weeks later...

Belgium looking better and better. Big day today and good news it is: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/belgium-relaxes-national-covid-19-restrictions/

Entry requirements change on 11 February, the white list does not include the US, the UK or Japan: https://www.brusselstimes.com/209497/no-more-plf-belgium-changes-travel-rules-from-11-march

notamermaid

48 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Entry requirements change on 11 February, the white list does not include the US, the UK or Japan: https://www.brusselstimes.com/209497/no-more-plf-belgium-changes-travel-rules-from-11-march

Just a bit of a correction, as noted in the actual link, the changes occur 11 March (not 11 February).

On 2/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, notamermaid said:

I was thinking: there has been much enthusiasm around Belgium and its delights, we strayed a bit from the actual topic - with quite a bit of fun. Got me to contemplate having a thread on Belgium.

Finally got round to this again. So I have started a thread on Belgium as a destination for river cruisers. We have had some fun here talking about Belgium, so would be great to see those ideas carried over into the new thread. Anyone fancy copying and pasting their contributions over to there?

notamermaid

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
added link to new thread

• 2 months later...