Let us have a look at Belgium's situation

notamermaid

Belgium, which borders on France, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, is a popular destination for the Tulip and Spring cruises. It has of course been hit hard and the Omicron variant has now almost replaced the Delta variant. So the country is seeing a lot of cases. From 28 January it will be on "code red". This is what that means: https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/news/occ-2101/

The info regarding vaccination certificates: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/belgium-to-shorten-validity-of-vaccination-certificates-to-150-days-from-march-1/

notamermaid

38 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Host Jazzbeau For ease of reading, could you be so kind as to replace the link to nltimes with this correct link? https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/news/occ-2101/

Thank you.

notamermaid

Done.  My pleasure.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news is coming from Belgium: https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/205897/tbtb-live-belgium-consultative-committee-code-orange-barometer-alexander-de-croo-vandenbroucke

It had been anticipated this may happen but now the change to orange is official. 18 February brings us closer to March of course and the Spring cruises, but apart from Viva Cruises stopping in Antwerp in the first week of March I cannot see river cruises before the third week in March being in Brussels or the other Belgian ports.

If you happen to be on the first river cruises of the season, I hope that the situation will look even better for you by then.

So much for now, we will revisit Belgium later in the month.

notamermaid

13 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Perhaps take some of this along. 😉 Hold the mayo. 

https://idahopotato.com/pressroom/love-is-in-the-air-and-it-smells-like-french-fries

Now that is weird. Grin.

On the way to England we usually have a stop at a Belgian motorway service to get coffee and chips. They are close to French Fries. Belgian chips, i.e. fries, are done differently.

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Careful! They’re referred to as Belgian fries in Belgium. 

I got some real Belgian method ones at a German fast food truck before Christmas. They were thicker than the standard fries and tasted really good.

I look forward to eating chips in Belgium and England again. I never eat the run of the mill fast food chain ones here.

Aaah, the chocolate, the waffles, the crepes in Bruges! Happy memories.

I hope many people can soon make happy memories in Belgium, without certificates and masks and other annoying things.

notamermaid

15 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Careful! They’re referred to as Belgian fries in Belgium. 

Actually, they are either Frieten or Frites, depending on where you are. 🙂

I'll take the sauce though @notamermaid....nothing better!

@sharkster77the fries are like our Chip Wagon, a bit thicker than the restaurant ones, but not like the wider steak fries (or wedges).

Edited by Daisi

Here with us the big question is always "Mayonnaise oder Ketchup?". Not sauce. Some go for rot-weiß, meaning both mayo and ketchup. Eek! to that, only pure and simple with a bit of salt for me. The food truck (a van actually) does not have a website to show you, so I can only say that chips were about 1 and a half times the width and depth of a standard chip. The type of potato and the frying method makes the difference. I tried to find a recipe online and guess what I found as well? A video of a Belgian chips guy who is passionate about his trade:

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I hope many people can soon make happy memories in Belgium, without certificates and masks and other annoying things.

notamermaid

I will gladly put up with a mask and certificate to enjoy a dubbel with moules and frites in Antwerp!

Edited by CPT Trips
#@%$+ spellcheck

@notamermaid, here we have chip "wagons" like a van (Cube Van), or stands, a small shack that is permanently set up just for chips & various other treats.  Of course, our favourite topping is curds & gravy (aka poutine), but if I'm in a restaurant, it's mayo. Our best chip wagons double fry the chips (hand cut as well), they partially fry them and then will re-fry them again once ordered.  Makes them extra crispy. 🙂

21 hours ago, Daisi said:

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Gross

Everything's better with bacon!  Well, American 'streaky' bacon.  Get this for a guy, give the girl perfume that smells like maple syrup – and you've got breakfast! 🤣

How on earth did we get from coronavirus restrictions to "Parfum Breakfast Americain"? :classic_biggrin: Great fun.

Not wishing to spoil it, but here is the latest as regards Belgian measures. Good news actually. And Brussels airport has a new PCR test offer. But I cannot link this as I have run out of "free reading" of the newspaper. So after this article you are on your own with referencing Brussels Times: https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/206721/belgium-lifts-testing-and-quarantine-rules-for-most-travellers

As a side note. If you fancied a change as regards airports and pre-cruise stays, you could look into flying into Brussels instead of Amsterdam or Paris. Train connections are fast and frequent from Brussels. And Brussels is worth a day or two, for beer and chips and chocolate and waffles. Oh, and cartoons/comics and architecture.

notamermaid

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

As a side note. If you fancied a change as regards airports and pre-cruise stays, you could look into flying into Brussels instead of Amsterdam or Paris. Train connections are fast and frequent from Brussels. And Brussels is worth a day or two, for beer and chips and chocolate and waffles. Oh, and cartoons/comics and architecture.

And beer! http://www.ottosrambles.co.uk/brussels.php For a selection of places to visit.

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

How on earth did we get from coronavirus restrictions to "Parfum Breakfast Americain"? :classic_biggrin: Great fun.

Not wishing to spoil it, but here is the latest as regards Belgian measures.

Thanks, I was hoping more information would be forthcoming on the original topic.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, notamermaid said:

Brussels is great fun to visit. We went there for a long weekend in January, a few years ago. Chris enjoyed the moules et frites for her birthday.

The good old days, when you could travel freely. Looks like those days may be back on the horizon soon? Fingers crossed.

On 2/19/2022 at 2:20 PM, jpalbny said:

The good old days, when you could travel freely. Looks like those days may be back on the horizon soon? Fingers crossed.

Looking ever better. Here is some more news: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/belgium-ends-testing-requirements-for-several-countries/

notamermaid

• Thanks 1