NCL cruise + flight package

Traveller20074

1 hour ago, Traveller20074 said:

Interested in experiences with this.    I am hoping it won't be a red-eye 🙂

Ours is early ( first leg). However we are sailing from port Orlando and arrive at airport @11:30  then a 45 minute drive to port. Everything is scheduled through ncl but it seems to be cutting it very close. They tell me we will be fine but, I don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling about it. 

You can ask to come in the day before the cruise, if you're concerned about an overnight flight or very early departure. We used the 2nd guest flies free promotion for a cruise out of NYC. We knew that it would have to be an early flight to get there on the day of sailing and also didn't want to risk delays with winter weather. We asked to come in a day early and they scheduled a direct flight that left at 11:30 am and arrived around 3 pm. It was a fine schedule.

searches using BOGO or airfare will give you lots of commentary.  And yes, you can expect a red-eye for your outbound flight depending on your gateways.  Goal is to get you there in the morning before you sail - kinda hard to do without a red-eye for most locations unless you request a deviation and arrive a day or more early.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=bogo&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=64

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=airfare&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=64

I am using the promo and should receive flights at the end of February. Price wise, there was nothing we could afford to cruise. So, it was NCL Air or no cruise. The cheapest flights we found were $700pp. NCL with the promo was $150pp. I know they are going to put us on the cheapest flights out there with their carriers. We are flying in the day before and out debarkation day. I expect either a 5AM flight or 7PM flight inbound, and anywhere from 5PM-8PM outbound. I did receive an email directly from NCL that if you have a deviation for flights that they will give a $25pp invoice credit per flyer. You have to contact them at 75-days before and before final payment to qualify. I will be doing that today.

Edited by bigrednole

22 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I was told by my TA that it was not worth the uncertainty and hassle of dealing multiple connections (vs direct flights).

If you can get direct flights from your home airport, then that's definitely preferred.  I have VERY few places I can fly to direct, unless I want to drive 3 hours to NYC.  NCL makes effort to limit to one connection if it's needed.

Flying from east coast US to west coast, NCL put us on 1-stop flights for both directions with acceptable departure times.  My parents got lucky.  NCL put them on non-stop flights, although the return flight was a red-eye.

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

NCL is actually ENCOURAGING such an idea by offering a $25 credit rather than charging for it.  @bigrednole even mentioned it earlier in the thread...

I would agree in part. I got that promo also. I called my TA on January 11th to have it applied. They got with NCL and the agent said it can't be applied until 75 days or less. Called yesterday at the 75 day mark and told it had to be done "before" the 75 day mark. TA has escalated and the people at NCL have the record of the call on January 11. It is only $50, but it is my $50. 

If you're ok with odd flight times/connections I would have no hesitation using NCL air. I've seen a lot of posts where people get the red eye/early morning flights in and evening/red eye flights on the way back.  Most people have reported either a direct flight or just one stop.

Because of where we live and our distance from the airport we always book our own flights.  We also like to come in a couple of days early and will often stay a day or two later when the cruise ends, depending on the city.  I run everything through my credit card so I almost always fly free using points.

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Right now it is a $25 promo credit to fly in 1-2 days early or 1-2 days after. 

I am really confused Lol   we just booked a May cruise with the 2nd guest flies free (booked it about a week ago)  the rep said it will cost us $25 more per person if we do NOT fly on the same day of embark and disembark.

44 minutes ago, jcollin said:

We got $25 per person for both the outbound, a day early and the departure a day after.

This is the case with us as well. You get a $25 deviation CREDIT for each way.

It worked that way for us in December and now again for our March cruise.  Passenger 1 airfare was reduced by $50 total.

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

@surfone it's right in the promo terms that it's a CREDIT.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation.

Thanks, I was only going by what the rep advised.  Good to know!

4 hours ago, hallux said:

@surfone it's right in the promo terms that it's a CREDIT.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation.

We are scheduled to fly out on Saturday 1/29 and arrive at Orlando @11:30  then need to transfer to port (45 minute drive). I am guessing we will get to port around 1 or 1:15 and be on ship by 2. Cutting things really close. ( everything has been arranged by ncl btw). I guess my question is, are you saying I can change my flight and go Friday a day early?

4 hours ago, usahawk1 said:

We are scheduled to fly out on Saturday 1/29 and arrive at Orlando @11:30  then need to transfer to port (45 minute drive). I am guessing we will get to port around 1 or 1:15 and be on ship by 2. Cutting things really close. ( everything has been arranged by ncl btw). I guess my question is, are you saying I can change my flight and go Friday a day early?

Deviation requests have to be done 75 days in advance. So no, you can't change your flight at this point.

6 minutes ago, dexddd said:

How can you do that when reservation says flights presented 45-60 days prior?

Because they want you to plan in advance, so THEY can plan the flights.  They don't want the deviation request to be a reaction to what the flight times end up being, it needs to be part of the overall planning of your trip right from the beginning.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Because they want you to plan in advance, so THEY can plan the flights.  They don't want the deviation request to be a reaction to what the flight times end up being, it needs to be part of the overall planning of your trip right from the beginning.

Then why not offer several options to choose from in advance instead of making it a game of chicken?

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Then why not offer several options to choose from in advance instead of making it a game of chicken?

Because they don't know what flights the airlines will offer for the price point they want to meet.  Once NCL knows how many flights are needed from what airports and on what days they can then work with the airlines on pricing and booking.  This is why they have deadlines for telling them about your desire for flights and what days.

It's not as simple as a TA booking a flight for a customer.