Latest update regarding Booster shot for Hawaii

cr8tiv1

I know there is a lot of information floating around on many roll call threads.  I am starting this thread to present current information.  This is what was said today by Governor Ige.  I am sorry that the StarAdvertiser only uses Facebook to relay these encounters.  Not happy with that.

https://www.facebook.com/staradvertiser/videos/621002499197354/

Bottom Line.  

1. The state is trying to implement the booster to be considered fully vaccinated.  "Not changes at this time (at the beginning and summarized at 29 minute mark).

2.  The state is working with industry leaders (hotel/hospitality/airline).

3.  "The booster requirement:  Potentially adding it to Safe Travels App and that they are working on that" (direct quote from hosts).  "No changes just yet is the key terms"

4.  "Media is saying in 2 weeks, Governor says it is simply not true.  They are still working on it."

I hope the moderator allows this thread to be active since there are many passengers who are concerned about voyages (the few remaining this spring) to Hawaii.  This is not hearsay, nor speculation.  Information was taken right from presentation.

Will it eventually happen?  When?  Who can say.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 5

Most current Emergency Proclamation will be in place until March 25th.

Ige’s office said today that cruise ships have already been following Safe Travels requirements through port agreements with the state so the new emergency proclamation just makes those agreements official.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/26/breaking-news/gov-ige-updates-emergency-proclamation-to-include-safe-travels-restrictions-for-cruise-ships/

• Thanks 1

Here is the news on the ground as regards travel here by air (by cruise ship may have different requirements, I’m not sure).

The requirement would mean travelers would need to have their Covid booster shot in order to by-pass quarantine. The other option for folks not vaccinated or who haven’t gotten their booster would be to get a negative Covid test taken 72 hours before departure.

Receiving a negative COVID test is still another option to by-pass quarantine for unvaccinated folks and those who do not get a booster shot.”

The rumor is that this will start February 18th, but that the Safe Travels website wasn’t built to know how to add booster status. So there are two options for travel to Hawaii:

1. Test within 72 hours

2. to be considered fully vaccinated and not have to test, must be boosted (supposedly starting February 18).

We manage vacation rentals and no legal vacation rental can allow quarantine.

I hope that helps even tho it doesn’t directly apply to cruise rules. We live this every day, so we have to know all the rules!

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Baxter68 said:

Here is the news on the ground as regards travel here by air (by cruise ship may have different requirements, I’m not sure).

“The requirement would mean travelers would need to have their Covid booster shot in order to by-pass quarantine. The other option for folks not vaccinated or who haven’t gotten their booster would be to get a negative Covid test taken 72 hours before departure.

Receiving a negative COVID test is still another option to by-pass quarantine for unvaccinated folks and those who do not get a booster shot.”

I hope that helps even tho it doesn’t directly apply to cruise rules. We live this every day, so we have to know all the rules!

Mahalo for your input for air passengers.  The most important (and the most difficult) is getting your negative covid test from a trusted partner 72 hours prior to departure.  (been there, done that)

It is slightly different for cruise passengers arrival.  No one has verified if the 3 Covid testing procedures are required by Princess or Hawaii or both.  

Regardless, when (and I say if) the booster becomes a requirement, then you will need the booster or a negative test to enter the islands without being quarantined AND show proof when doing activities that require you to show your vaccination documents with a valid ID.

The Safe Travels app is the means to verifying valid exceptions.  

https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smbt1 said:

Maui now requires boosters to be considered to be fully vaccinated for inside dining and other activities that required vaccinated status.

This is what I have read on several local news sites. We are flying to Maui next week and supplied scans of our vaccine cards with our boosters on the trusted traveler web site. It is my understanding that we will still have to physically show our cards with booster to any indoor venue we go to while in Maui county. I would assume the same rules to cruisers while in Maui.

Personally, we will only be dinning at places with outdoor dinning thus I don’t think vaccine cards with booster will be required (though we will still carry them just in case).

20 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

It is my understanding that we will still have to physically show our cards with booster to any indoor venue we go to while in Maui county.

It doesn’t apply to any indoor venue

“to dine indoors at a restaurant or bar, or exercise inside of a gym”.

https://mauinow.com/2022/01/21/booster-required-on-maui-to-be-considered-fully-vaccinated-effective-monday-jan-24/

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

It doesn’t apply to any indoor venue

“to dine indoors at a restaurant or bar, or exercise inside of a gym”.

https://mauinow.com/2022/01/21/booster-required-on-maui-to-be-considered-fully-vaccinated-effective-monday-jan-24/

Venue was not correct term and I stand corrected. Bars, restaurants, and gyms looks like the correct specific term.

Aloha 🙂

• Like 1

While on shore in Wailuku on the 1/4 HI sailing, we stopped into a restaurant for lunch. Carefully following the rules, they inspected our vax cards and verified the dates of our boosters. We had photos of our cards stored on our phones. They found this method to be acceptable. 

As an aside, wife first displayed her QR code for their inspection. The staff person said he would have to go find their scanner to read the code. Rather than ask him to go through all that additional work, she found the vax card and presented that to him. I say this to say that either method is acceptable. At least at this restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Will people be considered fully vaccinated if they are not eligible yet for the booster due to not enough days since 2nd shot?

Based on what I’ve read in Maui to dine indoors, go to a bar or to go into a gym requires proof of a booster shot. For the HI Safe Travels purposes the rules have not been finalized for the booster requirement but have read there’ll be a 2 weeks notice before making the change.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

Update on booster requirement:  February 3, 2022.

Lt. Josh Green was interviewed on television this morning.  Last week, the governor said yes, then no, then "we are working on this".  

From the television report, it seems as though a booster WILL NOT BE REQUIRED anytime soon.

https://www.khon2.com/wake-up-2day/lt-gov-josh-green-says-booster-might-not-be-added-to-safe-travels-program/

• Thanks 2

This was quietly announced (not in the major newspaper).  Maui will drop its booster requirement beginning Monday, Feb 7.  It will be up to individual restaurants.  You will still need to show your vaccination card.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/maui-to-drop-booster-requirement-for-fully-vaccinated-status/

I would be surprised if the state continues to pursue a booster requirement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

thank you for keeping us up to date with the latest info...hope case numbers are going down in Hawai'i like they are in SoCal

Lowest daily number of new cases in 46 days…down to 916 cases statewide (only 107 here on Maui) after the high point of over 6,000 per day statewide.

• Like 2

I am late to the Party!  Ha!  Just to add our experience:  RT SF to HI Jan 16-31 Ruby Princess. 

Test #1:  CDC required 2 days prior to Embarkation. (Jan 14)

Test #2:  At Port - Last minute Hawaii Safe travel Requirement. (Jan 16)

Test #3:  On board & required by Hawaii Safe Travel before entering Islands on  Jan 21 (test on Jan 19)

**  Upon returning to the Mainland, (notified Jan 28) "local authorities" (SF?) requested everyone without a booster to be tested prior to Disembarkation.

*** General overall observations of Hawaiian Islands this trip vs. Dec 2019 trip:  Some businesses sadly  did not survive pandemic shut downs.  Kauai (originally our favorite island) was the LEAST welcoming.  From taxi drivers questioning why one would want a taxi....  And Dukes being "temporarily" closed during time ship was in port. 

• Thanks 1

Updated:  February 7, our numbers continue to decrease.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/02/07/pressure-further-ease-covid-rules-mounts-cases-decline-hit-46-day-low/

Key here is that Safe Travels lapses on April 1.  This would only be helpful to those on the April 4th voyage.  No more mention of adding booster to Safe Travels app.

"But on April 1, much of the federal support for the Safe Travels program lapses.

If the federal support isn’t renewed, the state would have to come up with additional money and manpower, placing a huge financial burden on the state to keep the program."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 3:38 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Update on booster requirement:  February 3, 2022.

Lt. Josh Green was interviewed on television this morning.  Last week, the governor said yes, then no, then "we are working on this".  

From the television report, it seems as though a booster WILL NOT BE REQUIRED anytime soon.

https://www.khon2.com/wake-up-2day/lt-gov-josh-green-says-booster-might-not-be-added-to-safe-travels-program/

Good. Because it's a ridiculous requirement - and forcing people to "show your papers" also is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

I am late to the Party!  Ha!  Just to add our experience:  RT SF to HI Jan 16-31 Ruby Princess. 

Test #1:  CDC required 2 days prior to Embarkation. (Jan 14)

Test #2:  At Port - Last minute Hawaii Safe travel Requirement. (Jan 16)

Test #3:  On board & required by Hawaii Safe Travel before entering Islands on  Jan 21 (test on Jan 19)

**  Upon returning to the Mainland, (notified Jan 28) "local authorities" (SF?) requested everyone without a booster to be tested prior to Disembarkation.

*** General overall observations of Hawaiian Islands this trip vs. Dec 2019 trip:  Some businesses sadly  did not survive pandemic shut downs.  Kauai (originally our favorite island) was the LEAST welcoming.  From taxi drivers questioning why one would want a taxi....  And Dukes being "temporarily" closed during time ship was in port. 

We were just there on the Jan 19th cruise.  Dukes certainly was not closed when we were in port. No signs of staff or anyone else in Dukes not being friendly to cruise passengers. Some of the stores in the small center near the port (Uke shop for example) did not survive the pause.

Though the formerly Marriott Hotel next to Dukes is now Royal Sonesta Resort.

As far as Taxi drivers have noticed that the Taxi drivers are looking more for passengers that want to hire them for more of a tour instead of just a fare to a location.  So that might be related to the "why do you want a taxi question".  

Edited by smbt1

It's official...for today at least:

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/hawaii-s-safe-travels-program-will-not-require-a-booster-shot/article_0e9376c8-8925-11ec-afd6-0351c0eeadaa.html

"There has been much speculation about booster requirements for travelers arriving in Hawaii. I want to emphasize that the program remains unchanged at this time and boosters will not be required for up-to-date status," Ige said.

Other Safe Travels (access) will remain in place.  

• Thanks 3

Stay tuned:

This is NOT an OFFICIAL release of information from the state.  Only a maybe.  

https://www.kitv.com/news/coronavirus/hawaiis-safe-travels-program-could-end-as-early-as-march/article_59228c28-8ed5-11ec-8f33-7f4a716d6ab9.html

"With COVID-19 case trends headed in the right direction, Lieutenant Governor Josh Green believes the state's Safe Travels program could end as soon as next month."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This statement reinforces my beliefs:  "Not many of the cases have been a result of travelers and almost none of the hospitalizations have been travelers. It won't make a big difference in that way," Green said.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

This is becoming less and less newsworthy as the cruises to Hawaii are coming to an end for this season.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/02/18/breaking-news/maui-drops-covid-19-vaccine-testing-requirements-for-restaurants-bars-and-gyms/

"Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or negative testing results will no longer be required for indoor service at Maui County restaurants, bars and gyms, Mayor Michael Victorino announced today.

The elimination of those requirements will become effective Monday, February 21, according to a release from Victorino’s office."

Princess will still need to follow protocols set by the State of Hawaii until these have been modified by the governor (Safe Travels/testing prior to arriving in the islands/etc).  My best guess is that it will stay in place until the port agreement expires.  

Who knows...stay tuned.