Crystal Refugee needs your help

CwazeAndCwaze

Dear kind Seabourn people...

We are sailing on Ovation, March 13th, Miami to Miami.

We are in Owner's Suite 700 (we are already aware of the limited balcony views and windows facing the public area).

My problem is this:  The website is really limited with general information.

Can you, dear people, help with the things we should know before we sail?  Is there a place to find out exactly what our room steward will do for us?  Is there a list of available spirits for our room and how often it will be refilled? What should we know about dining?

But MOST importantly, because Seabourn is BRAND new to us, what should we expect in general.

I thank you all, in advance, for you kind responses.

Our very best always,

Scott & Drew (Cwaze and Cwaze)

• Like 4

Stewardess does everything they do on Crystal. They will not pack / unpack your luggage as a butler would (supposeldy we never had one and would not have them do it anyway) but do take care of everything in your suite, twice a day.  Spirits are replenished as often as you can consume them.  Good choices of liquors you can select from.  Anything available at the bars are available in-suite.  Somewhere on this board are examples of wines lists (which change from cruise to cruise) and spirits.  

Dining is when you want / where you want.  Only need reservations for TK Grill or when a TK night in the Colonade.  No upcharge for more times in any restaurants.  

You should expect a smaller passenger load, more friendly (IMO) Officers and passengers, excellent service.

You might want to scroll down the page and look at this (sic) thread: 

Potential Seabourne passenger with questions

I absolutely concur to the comments of 2SailingNomads.  The officers and clientele are more congenial as compared to Crystal.  

You will be able to book TK Grill prior to sailing.  You can also request to be put on the waiting list for TK Grill with customer service personnel .

Enjoy your upcoming cruise !

Will you two be doing one of your infamous videos for this first Seabourn cruise?   I've loved all of your past videos and think a Crystalised perspective of a Seabourn experience would be fabulous for most of us who have followed you .

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

We are in Owner's Suite 700 (we are already aware of the limited balcony views and windows facing the public area).

Can you, dear people, help with the things we should know before we sail?  Is there a place to find out exactly what our room steward will do for us?  Is there a list of available spirits for our room and how often it will be refilled? What should we know about dining?

But MOST importantly, because Seabourn is BRAND new to us, what should we expect in general.

Our very best always,

Hi Scott and Drew.

we will most likely sail on the ovation in the summer and so glad you posted these questions.  We have “fear of the unknown” but I’m sure we will really like seabourn.

Nancy

• Like 3

In the past Owners Suites came pre stocked with a large selection of liquor. I have also requested more of a particular favorite.  Your steward can help you arrange parties.  The espresso machine is great.   If you have a favorite flavor ask for it early,  they sometimes run out of certain flavors until they can re stock. In general for all suites no task is too small. You'll have a great time. 

@CwazeAndCwaze we’ll be boarding our first Seabourn cruise as well the day before you on the Odyssey! I’ve found the regular Seabourn cruisers on this Board so amazingly helpful over the past 3 years as I’ve asked all kinds of random questions (as we, like everyone else, has had 2 cruises cancelled in the past 2 years).

I also wanted to add that I hope you decide to do one of your famous video series for your March trip! It was watching your Alaska series that convinced us to book Seabourn for Alaska last summer after our March 2020 cruise canceled (alas, Alaska was cancelled as well — but we intend to cruise there next).

Who knows, maybe the Ovation and Odyssey will cross paths in the Caribbean in March! Happy Cruising! 😀

Scott & Drew, welcome to Seabourn!  I’ve done a few Crystal cruises myself including one that you did your famous videos. Quebec to Miami I believe. Please do another for this cruise . You’re both very personable and will have a great time on Seabourn too ! 

5 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Scott & Drew, welcome to Seabourn!  I’ve done a few Crystal cruises myself including one that you did your famous videos. Quebec to Miami I believe

Where can I watch this famous video that everyone's talking about?

One difference on Seabourn is that all passengers are treated the same.   The large room will give you more space, an additional powder room and a bar area in case you want to throw a party.   The suite faces the bow of the ship making the large balcony very windy when you are underway.   You will love the Seabourn experience.

Just a warning. I have sailed in 700 and it is very noisy.  The noise is from the waves against the hull and when windy and rough the noise is also from the sound of the bow crashing down.  You may also hear the anchor chain being lowered and raised if you are sensitive to noise,

On Seabourn you can get caviar delivered to you anywhere on the ship.  You can also have the dinners served in the dining room sent to you via room service, course by course.  Also special orders are not a problem.

I disagree with the posters comments about the officers.  IMHO the officers on both ships are fantastic and extremely personable and out about.

Crystal is (or was) my favorite and Seabourn is a close 2nd.  You will miss Prego and Umi Uma and the other alternatives on Crystal as I do.

• Like 4

Hi @CwazeAndCwazeI agree with everything above except with the notion that Seabourn cruisers are more congenial than Crystal's. NOT in our experience!

In general (having done a over a dozen Crystal and four Seabourn cruises) I am pretty confident you'll love Seabourn. As devastated as we are by the situation with Crystal we love Seabourn and have just booked Encore on Feb 19 to replace our cancelled Feb 18 cruise on Serenity.

The overall experience will be not too different than on Crystal, just different and a bit less of certain things. For example, Seabourn also has the highest quality of food (although which food you'll prefer really depends on your personal preference) but fewer eating venues, the ship is really beautiful but smaller and with fewer public areas. The entertainment is not as fancy as on Crystal but the entertainers do a great job, including concerts and parties under the stars. Enrichment is good with similar quality lecturers. There is no real equivalent to the Palm Court or the Avenue but the Club is really fun with lots of contemporary dancing and the Observation lounge is great for drinks and casual music (usually a piano or guitar player). The TK Grill is fab and the attached bar is lots of fun. High Tea on Seabourn sucks compared to Crystal 😁. Seabourn Patio burgers cannot hold a candle to the Trident Grill's but hey you can have all you can eat caviar!!!

One thing I love about Seabourn is the outdoor dining spaces (outside the Colonnade and Earth and Ocean. Really nice to have casual outdoor dining at night.

The crew on Seabourn are lovely but generally speaking I think Crystal's is a notch above, particularly the Lido guys. Seabourn Square is a great place to hang out. You can grab a drink or a nibble any time, you can get any problem addressed by any of the reps, you can chill on a massage chair at the back, borrow a book, etc.

Anyhow, sorry for the rambling but I really think you'll like it. I'll be looking forward to some videos! perhaps a special appearance of the sunbathers by the whirlpool right in front of your suite 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

Our very best always,

Hi Scott & Drew!  We're also Crystal Refugees sailing on Seabourn Mar 13.  We've had similar questions to you.   I'm going to miss Umi Uma, but do plan to OD on Caviar!    See you onboard!

• Like 2

Hi guys,  once we started sailing Regent and Seabourn after quite a few Crystal cruises we realized they all have their strengths and we never felt like strangers. We've had great luck and experiences on both and have future trips planned with both lines, as well. My bigger concern, now that you guys are on Seabourn... Seabourn will never be the same.😱🤣

Herb and Mary/San Diego

PS - you might find this sneak peak of life on board the Encore (very similar to the Ovation) from Mary's blog insightful: https://www.themodernpostcard.com/crossing-the-tasman-sea-smooth-sailing-life-on-board-a-galley-tour/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To all of you kind people who answered some of my questions and posted here THANK YOU!!!

I do have a little more insight now.

To all of you who complemented our videos.. THANK YOU!!!

YES there will be a series of videos from this upcoming cruise!

If you would like to see our other cruise videos you can find us on You Tube 

Our channel is Crystal Cruiser Guys

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1dXBMOtOpQ_OUfy8pzoO2w

Again, thank you all and... HI NANCY!!!

• Like 4

Another Crystal refugee here. Just so good to find this voyage as I wondered if I would have to give up cruising! This trip is affordable as a solo and works timewise for me. And Scott! And Drew! Hi guys, are Tom & Terry still joining in on your fun? I'll also be a newbie on SB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

Another Crystal refugee here. Just so good to find this voyage as I wondered if I would have to give up cruising! This trip is affordable as a solo and works timewise for me. And Scott! And Drew! Hi guys, are Tom & Terry still joining in on your fun? I'll also be a newbie on SB.

DEAR ONE!!! Are you booked on this?!?!?  YES, Tom and Terry will be with us!  PLEASE come up and say hello!!!!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

DEAR ONE!!! Are you booked on this?!?!?  YES, Tom and Terry will be with us!  PLEASE come up and say hello!!!!! 

Yes I booked yesterday and am so very happy to have a vacation. I was within two days of being on the pirate voyage. Backed out last minute. Will definitely come say hello onboard. It is good having friends in high places!

Edited by mskatiemae
  • Like 1

I posted a review called "Notes from a Seabourn Refugee" on the Crystal board August 18, 2021 and did not get flamed!  For some bizarro reason, I can't copy and paste the whole thing here it here, but it shouldn't be that hard to find. This is the beginning of the review. image.png.48a1a29921305fc30daf39cc3d9cd8ae.pngimage.png.6ce2ecb81b7606c0c3eb1adaaaa242aa.pngHope it helps you.

There is a  lot more information in the original post...

Linda

18 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

@CwazeAndCwazeSome pics from our last cruise before Covid - Ovation Dec '19/Jan '20 Dubai to Singapore. Yep, we had lots of fun.

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.d45f7f4fa06125735b59cfeefcfaf98f.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_3632.jpg

claudiaYVR  I noticed you had a photo of the caviar around the pool which is something one should not miss

Also for the people who are new to Seabourn I hope your cruise is able to go to an island to experience the "real" caviar in the surf of which we have done, one of the best days we have ever spent on a cruise. I think Seabourn are having trouble as a lot of countries these days of finding countries allowing food which isnt factory packed ashore so they have to have it around the pool. We even had it around the pool at Antarctica with the icebergs and penguins in the back ground, nobody in the pool though😀  

A day not to be missed if you ever get the chance

Also for those who are first time cruiser with Seabourn you might be able to get an OBC

Check out

Edited by Thecat123

4 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

@Thecat123you're so right about caviar in the pool/surf. We had an amazing Caviar in the Surf on a Seabourn Caribbean cruise a few years back. It was the best beach day ever with fresh lobsters arriving by boat and cooked right away.

Lucky you…ours were burnt offerings on Carambola. But still looking forward to our March cruise on Encore.