Cruising from Vancouver in 2022?

Barwick Cruiser

I was under the impression that Alaska cruises out of Vancouver are still not a sure thing…is there a date when the Canadian government will be confirming whether they will go or not? Or did I miss the announcement that they’re good to start up. I have booked a September cruise and am hoping we’ll be able to go. 

We are tentatively booked for July embarking in Vancouver.  The last I read, our Government was "in discussions" with the cruise lines about testing etc.  Unless I have missed it, there has been no further announcement.  There has to be some clarity/guidance soon.

• Like 1

The GOC has no ban in place currently. The issue that has not been resolved is whether the current testing rules for entering Canada will apply to cruise passengers and crew members, and if so, how. Government officials are in discussions with the cruise lines, but there has been no announcement made on progress. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I was under the impression that Alaska cruises out of Vancouver are still not a sure thing…is there a date when the Canadian government will be confirming whether they will go or not? Or did I miss the announcement that they’re good to start up. I have booked a September cruise and am hoping we’ll be able to go. 

We’re also booked a Alaska cruise in September out of Vancouver and I have been checking Princess website daily and no announcement yet.  My guess, cruise ships will be allowed however, there will be testing requirement’s etc.

23 hours ago, Cruisingrampy said:

Im also cruising out of van in april. I feel we'll find out closer to march/april when cruises are actually scheduled for them to shine a bit more light on it

I’m hoping we hear something definitive long before April when cruises are scheduled to cruise from Canada…the cruise lines will certainly need some time to adjust protocols and prepare, especially if all passengers need PCR tests to disembark in Vancouver, or even stop over for a Victoria port visit. Honestly tho, if we all need PCR tests to disembark I highly doubt cruise lines like Celebrity will even keep Vancouver as a departure/arrival port 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Just my opinion here, not a  testing expert, but after this omicron wave hits most countries this winter and early spring there needs to be a switch from PCR to antigen for screening testing for everything. Save the PCR for diagnostic testing for the actually sick. I fear so many people have omicron without realising it, and they travel weeks, later and have a postive PCR due to past infections viral load that for transmittion purposes is irrelevant. I know so many including myself where it suddenly clicked  - damn I am cruising in 90 days better start testing and testing so I get that "travell pass" recovery note if I have omicron and dont realize it. 

Edited by mousefan73
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We're not cruising from Vancouver until September, but there are some good prices from Toronto to Vancouver on Air Canada bookings right now. We got a better price than from West Jet, which was the Flights by Celebrity choice. Seat selection and 1st bag included in the fare. 

31 minutes ago, frteach said:

We're not cruising from Vancouver until September, but there are some good prices from Toronto to Vancouver on Air Canada bookings right now. We got a better price than from West Jet, which was the Flights by Celebrity choice. Seat selection and 1st bag included in the fare. 

We’re on September 10 cruise and you are correct, flights are cheap. We booked through Princess EZair on Westjet however, I notice today Air Canada return flight are $268 (Toronto to Vancouver). With EZair we don’t pay until final payment is due and are allowed to change our flights up to 45 days for free.  
I recall reading that cruise line needs 2 months notice if they can sail out of Canada and therefore, if this is true, we should know within the next 3 weeks. 

Edited by DHP1

We have two Alaska cruises scheduled from Vancouver this year. One is in May on princess (14 Day B2B). Then a 14 day on Holland going Kodiak , Anchorage (proper) , Valdez etc  from Vancouver.

We think it will be a go on both. Prepared to test if required.

• Like 1

We sail with Celebrity on Sept 11 out of Vancouver and while we’re prepared to test I’m wondering how the ships are going to complete PCR tests for everyone on board to be able to disembark after the cruise ends back in Vancouver. We actually visit Victoria the day before disembarking which means the PCR tests will all have to be done two days before Vancouver…not sure the ships have the capability to do this. 

17 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We sail with Celebrity on Sept 11 out of Vancouver and while we’re prepared to test I’m wondering how the ships are going to complete PCR tests for everyone on board to be able to disembark after the cruise ends back in Vancouver. We actually visit Victoria the day before disembarking which means the PCR tests will all have to be done two days before Vancouver…not sure the ships have the capability to do this. 

I'd be amazed to see PCR testing of passenger for a port stop in Victoria or for disembarkation in Vancouver. If we assume that the GOC is going to continue requiring PCR tests for general entry to Canada, and that's a big "if", I believe that an exemption will be made for cruise passengers. If not, the cruise lines will simply bypass Canada as they did last summer. There will be no hesitation within the current US Administration in quickly allowing another exemption from the PVSA as they did last year.

The east coast is a more difficult situation, as there are no easy alternatives for itineraries. Similarly, Hawaiian cruises pose a problem for the cruise lines. 

Hopefully the current discussions between Canadian officials and the cruise lines will result in decisions being made in the very near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'd be amazed to see PCR testing of passenger for a port stop in Victoria or for disembarkation in Vancouver. If we assume that the GOC is going to continue requiring PCR tests for general entry to Canada, and that's a big "if", I believe that an exemption will be made for cruise passengers. If not, the cruise lines will simply bypass Canada as they did last summer. There will be no hesitation within the current US Administration in quickly allowing another exemption from the PVSA as they did last year.

The east coast is a more difficult situation, as there are no easy alternatives for itineraries. Similarly, Hawaiian cruises pose a problem for the cruise lines. 

Hopefully the current discussions between Canadian officials and the cruise lines will result in decisions being made in the very near future.

That is the main issue for most at the moment. Random testing / quarantine even if fully Vaxxed and PCR tested pre flight for those flying into YVR to sail. On our April Hawaii sailing so many have cancelled for this reason. 

not even sure if possible techicnally, logically to move to Seattle even with Pvsa exception

Edited by mousefan73

We have a 10 night Pacific Coastal that leaves San Diego May 3. Our last port stop is Victoria before we disembark May 13 in Vancouver. Waiting on news on this and really want this one to go as planned. Our youngest son and fiancé live in Abbotsford and hoping to spend a few days with them post cruise. 

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'd be amazed to see PCR testing of passenger for a port stop in Victoria or for disembarkation in Vancouver. If we assume that the GOC is going to continue requiring PCR tests for general entry to Canada, and that's a big "if", I believe that an exemption will be made for cruise passengers.

I guess I am not as optimistic.

I do not see the Feds making an exemption for the testing for cruise guests only.  I don't see them stopping testing for some time for "daily arrivals" into Canada at the current pace.  On a side note, as a Canadian I'd be livid if cruise guests got a "free pass" from the Feds if I still had to be tested to return to Canada.

I certainly agree with you, that if mandatory testing is to be done this year by Federal Regualtions, I see the US extending the ruling of last year that allows them to skip Canada for Alaska sailings. Who knows if they would do the same for Hawaii. 

• Like 2

I wonder how much room there is in Seattle for ships to embark/disembark.  I too will be very surprised if the Feds change the present testing requirements and lines need sufficient time to reroute,  We are due to sail in July on Cunard out of Vancouver, I am not optimistic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I guess I am not as optimistic.

I do not see the Feds making an exemption for the testing for cruise guests only.  I don't see them stopping testing for some time for "daily arrivals" into Canada at the current pace.  On a side note, as a Canadian I'd be livid if cruise guests got a "free pass" from the Feds if I still had to be tested to return to Canada.

I certainly agree with you, that if mandatory testing is to be done this year by Federal Regualtions, I see the US extending the ruling of last year that allows them to skip Canada for Alaska sailings. Who knows if they would do the same for Hawaii. 

Entry testing might still be required, but an exemption could be made for returning cruise passengers. In other words, cruises departing Canada would not need a negative molecular test upon return.

Without such an exception cruises are simply not feasible. After all no cruise line wants to face the prospect of 5,000 fines for every positive case debarking. Or worse yet, having to quarantine positive cases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Entry testing might still be required, but an exemption could be made for returning cruise passengers. In other words, cruises departing Canada would not need a negative molecular test upon return.

Possibly.  

I only see this happening, if there is no testing for all coming to Canada by any mode of transportation being ship, car, plane etc....  Meaning that cruise guests also don't have to be tested because no one has to.  Giving a free pass to a cruiser who was out of the country for 7 days makes no sense. Being on a cruise is no less risky than anything else. 

I'm not sure if the GOC is ready do do that yet, but I sure look forward to it. 

This past fall one could travel from Canada to the States and back, with a PCR test done in Canada within so many days. That has been the only leeway given to date on testing, and it was a bizarre IMO when one could become positive in the states within that time frame.  No different than going on a cruise. 

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Without such an exception cruises are simply not feasible. After all no cruise line wants to face the prospect of 5,000 fines for every positive case debarking. Or worse yet, having to quarantine positive cases.

Agreed.  This is why I think the cruise lines are already planning on heading to Seattle again for 2022.  Logistically I think it only makes sense. Only time will tell what the GOC will allow, but the cruise industry can't wait forever for their decision.   

I have read here on CC  that people are cruising to Alaska in late April, so the GOC will have 3 months to determine the rules. The rules once decided can be dropped or made more stringent creating issues for the lines. 

A delay in regulations in turn leaves less time for the cruise lines to make decisions.  They can't cancel Canadian departures a week prior to sailing, on top of their operations such as home port of call for specific ships, departure port schedules, food deliveries etc.... just to flip to Seattle. That doesn't include the changes to cruise guests travel arrangements. 

I just think at this point sailing one way from Seattle VS Vancouver will be a lot easier for the lines.  If all testing is dropped for Canadian entrance then it's another story. Is that going to happen by late April is the million dollar question.

Edited by A&L_Ont

2 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Keep in mind the GOC did have different rules for Canadians returning to Canada via air and land crossings.  No reason to not believe they may have another rule in place for cruise passengers.

Cruise passengers or Canadian cruise passengers.  Nationality will likely be a key factor if anything goes ahead.

21 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Being on a cruise is no less risky than anything else. 

This really is the crux of the issue when it comes to discussing possible exemptions, and the CDC and cruise lines would argue, with considerable merit, that the strict protocols that the cruise industry has implemented make cruises considerable less risky.

Reading the Transport Canada Bulletin No.: 18/2021Measures to Support Safe Cruise Travel in Canada, modified February 1, 2022 (see separate thread) it appears that TC finds the terms of the CDC's  Framework for Conditional Sailing Order sufficiently compelling as to include them under the Requirements for the TC COVID-19 Management Plan.

The issue of testing was left to be addressed at some future point, but my reading of the bulletin is that they are setting high standards that might well allow for an exception to be made for cruise passengers. There is no other group of travellers that I'm aware of who are subjected to vaccination, testing and mask wearing to the same extent as we cruisers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Giving a free pass to a cruiser who was out of the country for 7 days makes no sense

Cruise passengers are not out of the country for 7 days. For the most part passengers are physically on foreign soil for no more than 16 or so hours. If those hours are a worry, forcing cruise only excursions should resolve any issues of exposure.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The issue of testing was left to be addressed at some future point, but my reading of the bulletin is that they are setting high standards that might well allow for an exception to be made for cruise passengers.

Which in theory works perfectly, until the guests get off the ship and go about the community in Alaska potentially getting infected. As of right now, if guests never got off the ship, once they boarded, it might be doable but that defeats the idea of going on a cruise. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There is no other group of travellers that I'm aware of who are subjected to vaccination, testing and mask wearing to the same extent as we cruisers.

I can’t think of any other group either, and yet unfortunately guests are still getting sick on board for one reason or another. Just my thoughts but until Canada is willing to let vaccinated Canadians in without restrictions, I just don’t see them doing it for cruisers. 

Only time will and if they are allowed in.  IMO it means travel restrictions are lifting for all, and things are looking better for Canada in regards to the pandemic. My fingers are crossed.  Toes too.