Carnival Steakhouse Question?

Laplayaperson

Hey All,

SO we have been cruisers for some time but never tried the steakhouse before on a ship.  A couple of questions? (sailing on the Magic in June)

Is it a bad idea to do this on the first night?  I think it is discounted, and I was thinking won't be as crowded so would be in/out and back to activities if we booked around a 7pm timeframe, with the ship departing port at 5:30pm?

Also, does the steakhouse work like the main dining room where you can order multiple appetizers/entrees?  

Thank you its been several years since our last cruise, and this will be our first return including exposing our kids (11 & 13) to it, and I"M SO EXCITED to get them hooked!

**Also is the Italian restaurant worth it?

Thank you for your feedback!! 

The steak house isnt discounted but gives free wine the first night. You have to ask and instead of a whole bottle they might try to give you a glass I've read. I had cheers so didnt matter. 

I did it twice on vista, recommend the filet though smaller. Yes you can order more appetizers, but not entrees. The cheesecake for dessert is so huge I never saw anyone finish it. 

I did surf and turf tbh, but both were good.

Many love the italian. The big pork chop is a favorite, but I love JiJis and did the others instead. I'm not a italian food fan. So dont go by me. Jijis is lovely on vista.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
37 minutes ago, Laplayaperson said:

Hey All,

SO we have been cruisers for some time but never tried the steakhouse before on a ship.  A couple of questions? (sailing on the Magic in June)

Is it a bad idea to do this on the first night?  I think it is discounted, and I was thinking won't be as crowded so would be in/out and back to activities if we booked around a 7pm timeframe, with the ship departing port at 5:30pm?

Also, does the steakhouse work like the main dining room where you can order multiple appetizers/entrees?  

Thank you its been several years since our last cruise, and this will be our first return including exposing our kids (11 & 13) to it, and I"M SO EXCITED to get them hooked!

**Also is the Italian restaurant worth it?

Thank you for your feedback!! 

No multiple-choice options that I know of, perhaps if you pay an extra charge etc.

Edited by BasicSailor

There is a kids menu, $12 for age 11 and under. The teen will pay the regular $38pp. They may allow more than 1 appetizer but definitely only 1 entree. I've heard mention of specialty dining for kids booked in Family Harbor cabins, not clear on that. Most guests enjoy the Steakhouse and Cucina del Capitano/Italian is usually good, too. I'm pretty sure your kids will love cruising.

When we were on the mardi gras in September they said for her 1st season which, this still is ..the Italian restaurant was free for lunch & dinner.. same for the smokehouse And I believe che bang..

We usually do the steakhouse on carnival but but since they had good offerings..decided to skip it on this particular cruise .  you're limited to 1 appetizer 1 entree, you might get away with an extra dessert ..but if they say no that's that  capitano is very good we ate there at least 3 nights  During the week ..

We always book the Steakhouse on the first night and to be honest it is usually full as you are offered a free bottle of house wine (red or white and never had a problem with this in 30some cruises). As for the Italian restaurant people seem to love it but we have not had the best of experience on two different ships but that was us.  However we are going to try it again and have it booked on the Magic in March

5 hours ago, dbrucern said:

We always book the Steakhouse on the first night and to be honest it is usually full as you are offered a free bottle of house wine (red or white and never had a problem with this in 30some cruises). As for the Italian restaurant people seem to love it but we have not had the best of experience on two different ships but that was us.  However we are going to try it again and have it booked on the Magic in March

What is the Red wine selection?

If you want, you can order a bottle off the wine list for 50% off on the first night.  Over four years ago, I ordered 5 bottles of wine on the first night at Steakhouse for 50% off and they stored them for me in the MDR.  I don't know if that is available but it's worth asking for.  We recently had filet mignon and lobster and the cowboy steak at the Sunshine Steakhouse and both of our steaks were grisly.  Everything else was fine.  JiJi's is awesome and we had a wonderful dinner at Cucina del Capitano.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

We do it the first night because there really isn't a dress code.  We do the formal nights in the MDR and don't want to dress up three times in a week. You cannot order additional food.  You get bread, soup or salad, an app, main course with two sides and desert.  You can swap out your soup/salad for an additional app.  Believe me, you won't be leaving hungry!

• Like 1

The Steakhouse offers a fine dining experience that is worth much more than $38.  You can order two appetizers but not two entrees (our experience).  We tried first and second night (second night is an elegant night in MDR on 7-day cruises, free wine in Steakhouse too) and I have preferred to take 50% off a Kendall Jackson bottle than the free house wine bottle - but I only gave the free house wine bottle two chances.  My favorite Steakhouse entrees are the surf-n-turf and the lamb chops/rack of lamb.  Unless you're really opposed to the idea, the prime quality beef and lamb served in the steakhouse should be ordered medium-rare.  See a photo of my lamb chops from just a few days ago on the Mardi Gras, in my review.  They were amazing and sublime.  Have a fun cruise and prepare to have your senses tingled and elevated at Steakhouse!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, travelplus said:

What is the Red wine selection?

I'm sorry I don't know it is Carnival's house wine since I only drink a Malbec  I order a bottle for 50% off and have them store what is left over to have in the dinning room the next night

• Like 1

Hi, I am new to CruiseCritic.  This is my first post, although I have read many.  I hope I am not highjacking the thread.  My wife and I are not wine drinkers. Do they offer any other incentives for first night dining in the steakhouse?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kandmsdad said:

Hi, I am new to CruiseCritic.  This is my first post, although I have read many.  I hope I am not highjacking the thread.  My wife and I are not wine drinkers. Do they offer any other incentives for first night dining in the steakhouse?  

No, just the free bottle of wine or 50% off any other wine.  I’m a non-drinker so there’s no incentive for me, but I do like to go to the steakhouse on the first night to celebrate being on the cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kandmsdad said:

No, they don't.  Just the free wine.  If you are alcohol adverse, you could get 50% off a bottle of non-alcoholic wine (you may have to specifically ask for it, as it may not appear on the wine list, but they do have it.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nwcruiselover said:

No, just the free bottle of wine or 50% off any other wine.  I’m a non-drinker so there’s no incentive for me, but I do like to go to the steakhouse on the first night to celebrate being on the cruise.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Perhaps we will get it an give it away.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kandmsdad said:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Perhaps we will get it an give it away.

I am the biggest wine drinker ever and I would still go regardless of the wine LOL....the experience is just a step above the MDR in all aspects, the change of scenery, and the food is soooo yummy....totally go for it regardless of the discount...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I am the biggest wine drinker ever and I would still go regardless of the wine LOL....the experience is just a step above the MDR in all aspects, the change of scenery, and the food is soooo yummy....totally go for it regardless of the discount...

I am planning on going.  One thing I was trying to determine was if embarkation day is the right day.  

5 minutes ago, kandmsdad said:

I am planning on going.  One thing I was trying to determine was if embarkation day is the right day.  

If you have never cruised before, plan to eat in the MRD and specifically if you are cruising in a group with others...I would specifically say embarkation day is not your best day to go....the first night in the MDR you meet your table staff that is the same the whole cruise, depending on your situation you may meet your tablemates and you just gain the knowledge of how the MDR goes...now does that mean you couldn't catch up of course not lol...but in a first timers situation I would pick another night especially if not benefiting from the deal.....

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

If you have never cruised before, plan to eat in the MRD and specifically if you are cruising in a group with others...I would specifically say embarkation day is not your best day to go....the first night in the MDR you meet your table staff that is the same the whole cruise, depending on your situation you may meet your tablemates and you just gain the knowledge of how the MDR goes...now does that mean you couldn't catch up of course not lol...but in a first timers situation I would pick another night especially if not benefiting from the deal.....

Good point!  Another factor to consider is the MDR menu for that night.  Usually we go to the Steakhouse the first night because the first night dinner menu doesn't appeal to us as much as other nights.  Also remember the second night of a cruise 5 days or more is usually elegant night and lobster is served in the MDR.

• Like 2

We have cruised many times, but have only dined at the steakhouse once.  I do like to go to the MDR and meet and visit with others.   Are they allowing shared tables right now with Covid? 

I also like to go to MDR for formal/elegant night.  I am sure that MDR menu selection is another thing to try to be aware of.  

• Like 1

Semi- related question. I will be cruising with someone that really loves their steak sauce (Heinz 57 to be exact). He is thinking of bringing on a bottle if they do not have it on board. Does anyone know if the steakhouse and/or MDR has a selection of steak sauces? 

2 hours ago, jnicktem said:

Semi- related question. I will be cruising with someone that really loves their steak sauce (Heinz 57 to be exact). He is thinking of bringing on a bottle if they do not have it on board. Does anyone know if the steakhouse and/or MDR has a selection of steak sauces? 

Heinz 57 is readily available on board. Even in the buffet.