Advice needed about adding or uploading security photo on Medallion class app, please.

Anna K

I have uploaded the medallion class app on my phone which is the latest version accepted for android phones. Unfortunately, the issue is when I take a photo or try to upload an existing one which is already saved on my phone the app will not accept it. Just been on RCL cruise recently and has no issues with saving security photo on their app so was surprise when I got a message 'Unable to save the information. Please try again later' on the Medallion class app.

Unfortunately, my backup option which is my iPad is an older iOS version so was unable to download the app to upload the photo. 

Wondering if anyone had any tips about saving the security photo,  does it have to be specific size or format before I contact Princess support team.

Thanking in you advance and I appreciate any advice given.

Edited by Anna K

5 minutes ago, Anna K said:

Wondering if anyone had any tips about saving the security photo,

Don't worry about it, and don't waste hours of your time trying to get help on the phone.

They can always take a picture of you when you first board the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It took numerous tries for me to upload my passport and I still can’t upload our profile pictures, I get a similar error message as you. Seems the Medallion app needs a lot of work. It’s not a good experience at all. 

• Like 2

Hi Alanr204, yes the app is very sensitive and glitchy. I was just going to leave it and get our photos taken  at the port instead. However, my husband manage to upload the photos on his phone instead. 

You might try turning the phone off and back on are deleting and re-installing the app if you haven’t tried that You can also just wait and get the photo taken at boarding. Don’t let it stress or worry you!

• Like 2

Thank you for the suggestions travelin.sisters and Torfamm. I was going to wait and have our security photos taken at the port when we check in. However, my husband downloaded the app on his phone and he managed to

upload the photos.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2022 at 6:12 AM, Anna K said:

Thanking in you advance and I appreciate any advice given.

As far as the photo, agree with @CineGraphic As you are new here, I think you will find him a source of sound advice.

In the larger issue, received a call two days ago from Princess saying we would not be allowed to board unless we got to Green on OceanReady.

I called Princess and got a call back from Medallion. The tech confirmed that for one reason or another, many people aren't completing pre-boarding.  He said not to worry about it and bring hard copies and QR codes to the pier and check in as it used to be done. (My app issues didn't get fixed.) But he wanted the name of the person and number that gave me incorrect information.

The elephant in the room is that the Medallion app is utter garbage, but the brainchild of the current president of Princess.

Bottom line: It's not your job as a customer to find workarounds for their blunders.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

The ap does not like the default file name my phone gave it. I had to rename the file to an alpha only,  and then it uploaded. 

Could never get the selfie function to work.

Edited by mlgb
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mlgb said:

The ap does not like the default file name my phone gave it. I had to rename the file to an alpha only,  and then it uploaded. 

You would think that princess' / accenture's rigorous testing would have found this.

😞

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2022 at 6:53 AM, mlgb said:

Could never get the selfie function to work.

I was hoping that would work...but alas...nope.  I renamed the file Princess LOL.

Sorry, I did this on an iPhone and didn't have any issues.  Took me a while to figure out the "profile" and "security" photo were two separate options.  The app itselfr was still a buggy as it would try to open windows and just fail, forcing me to close it.  

Edited by scooter6139

2 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Sorry, I did this on an iPhone and didn't have any issues.  Took me a while to figure out the "profile" and "security" photo were two separate options.  The app itselfr was still a buggy as it would try to open windows and just fail, forcing me to close it.  

I have an Android.  My profile picture isn't an issue...that worked fine.  I have gotten the app to work for dining reservations and a few other things, but I just can't get it to do the security picture.  I will contact Princess about it.

6 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

I have an Android.  My profile picture isn't an issue...that worked fine.  I have gotten the app to work for dining reservations and a few other things, but I just can't get it to do the security picture.  I will contact Princess about it.

Are you doing a selfie or using one that's already on the phone?  I presume the steps are the same: 1 select user 2.  Select photo (camera or file) 3. Upload and done.  

Did you try uploading the same pic you used for the profile one?

FYI - I found that I had to shut down the app a couple times to get it to work right.  (I work in IT and our favorite question:  Did you turn it off then back on again?)

13 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Are you doing a selfie or using one that's already on the phone?  I presume the steps are the same: 1 select user 2.  Select photo (camera or file) 3. Upload and done.  

Did you try uploading the same pic you used for the profile one?

FYI - I found that I had to shut down the app a couple times to get it to work right.  (I work in IT and our favorite question:  Did you turn it off then back on again?)

Selfie doesn't work (and yes I made sure my phone "allows access to the camera for Princess".  So I have taken about 10 different pictures in various positions (including some with smiles and some without).    Yup, tried the profile one too.  I have even uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.  I have worked with computers since the late 80's...rebooting is always the answer LOL...but...I will try a few things again because why not...I can't really think of anything else that I could be doing wrong at this point.

Thank you for replying...I appreciate it.  Maybe at some point I will get it to work.

Just now, deliver42 said:

If you can't do it, I would think Princess, like all the other lines, will take your picture at the port.

Problem with that is you can't get access to your digital boarding pass then...which just makes things go much faster at check in (and when you are talking Vancouver cruiseport, you do everything you can get make that go smoother)

When we did the setup we used the selfie for the security pic. It gave us an outline of a person and we just stood with a blank white(ish) wall behind us. Worked fine. At that time we were unable to use any pre-taken image from our phone. We couldn't even use a pre-existig pic for our profile pic. If that's changed maybe I'll update the app (yet again) and use a pic from my phone. As it is, my profile pic is "Pig" from Pearls Before Swine.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

When we did the setup we used the selfie for the security pic. It gave us an outline of a person and we just stood with a blank white(ish) wall behind us. Worked fine. At that time we were unable to use any pre-taken image from our phone. We couldn't even use a pre-existig pic for our profile pic. If that's changed maybe I'll update the app (yet again) and use a pic from my phone. As it is, my profile pic is "Pig" from Pearls Before Swine.

It won't do the selfie one...every time I select "camera", it just goes back to the screen where I select which passenger to choose.

I will really have to try again closer to when we (supposedly) sail in May. As it stands, this is my profile pic:

image.png.60d2945fdad6823f8ddcefaf2c5e0eb0.png

Edit: Wowie Zowie! I just used the new online link on the Princess site and it let me change to pics from my phones gallery. Sweet! Many thanks again to @azbirdmom for making me aware of the new link!

Edited by Thrak