Testing in California

Does anyone have experience with https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=pennsylvania for testing for a cruise?  I am cruising out of California on the Navigator and have a total of 4 people needing testing.  I am hoping to be able to use their free rapid antigen testing for my cruise.  I have appts with on point testing just in case.

I have also read that testing is currently free at Universal Citywalk.  Has anyone used that?

1 hour ago, cruiseSEA52 said:

Does anyone have experience with https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=pennsylvania for testing for a cruise?  I am cruising out of California on the Navigator and have a total of 4 people needing testing.  I am hoping to be able to use their free rapid antigen testing for my cruise.  I have appts with on point testing just in case.

I have also read that testing is currently free at Universal Citywalk.  Has anyone used that?

We as well as many others in Socal use CVS. Easy as pie and results on your phone in under a hour.  Might need to make appointments a week or so before test date.  Just got off Navigator and had a great time. Everything open and live music in many venues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We as well as many others in Socal use CVS. Easy as pie and results on your phone in under a hour.  Might need to make appointments a week or so before test date.  Just got off Navigator and had a great time. Everything open and live music in many venues.

How much do they charge for results so quickly? 

1 hour ago, CyberTag said:

How much do they charge for results so quickly? 

I have Kaiser, so it’s free. I just did my 1st antigen (quick test) last Sunday. I received the negative result Tuesday morning. The CVS nurse/employee told me results are taking 1-2 days now. 
  Aren’t ALL tests Free now? Maybe go to the official California Covid/CDC page?

P.S.  Just did a quick look. YES, all (antigen & PCR) tests are free for insured AND uninsured (the Govt picks up the tab for uninsured).

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

Ok here’s a tricky question.

If I flew in from sydney for a cruise on navigator would the Sydney airport PCR test be accepted?

And from memory flying from Sydney to L.A. You actually go back in time a hour or so.

Could I stay the night near the airport and use the Sydney test to board?

Is test really free in Calif? According to https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/#cost-for-testing, " An insured person can get a COVID-19 testPDF when needed by any provider, in or out of their health plan network, at no cost. If you’re uninsured, the government pays for your test.". 

Seems to me, the test is not free unless your doctor told you to get one.

1 minute ago, screenname2004 said:

Is test really free in Calif? According to https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/#cost-for-testing, " An insured person can get a COVID-19 testPDF when needed by any provider, in or out of their health plan network, at no cost. If you’re uninsured, the government pays for your test.". 

We have had two rapid antigens tests from CVS in the last month. Made a appointment online, walked in took the test and walked out. No question if we had insurance or not. Test results on phone and in email within 20 minutes. Have not used Walgreens but have heard it is the exact same thing. We had a choice of rapid antigen or rapid PCR.  Told the nurse it was for a cruise and she said to stay away from the rapid PCR  test.  As with most things covid there are weekly changes.

26 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have had two rapid antigens tests from CVS in the last month. Made a appointment online, walked in took the test and walked out. No question if we had insurance or not. Test results on phone and in email within 20 minutes. Have not used Walgreens but have heard it is the exact same thing. We had a choice of rapid antigen or rapid PCR.  Told the nurse it was for a cruise and she said to stay away from the rapid PCR  test.  As with most things covid there are weekly changes.

I went to the CVS covid test side. If I answer no to all the questions, I don't qualify for a free test. If I answer yes to "Are you seeking a COVID-19 test because of high transmission rates and difficulty maintaining recommended social distancing?" and everything else no, I qualify but I still need to bring my insurance card.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

As long it has a date no more than two days before the sailing, yes. 

That’s great I thought you would know.

So just say I sail on the 10th ,what would be the earliest it could be dated.

The 8th would be acceptable?
Also the time of day doesn’t really matter does it.? Just the date?

20 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

I have Kaiser, so it’s free. I just did my 1st antigen (quick test) last Sunday. I received the negative result Tuesday morning. The CVS nurse/employee told me results are taking 1-2 days now. 
  Aren’t ALL tests Free now? Maybe go to the official California Covid/CDC page?

P.S.  Just did a quick look. YES, all (antigen & PCR) tests are free for insured AND uninsured (the Govt picks up the tab for uninsured).

🛳🛳

Bobbi

You took the "rapid antigen" test with results in less than 2 hours, and you didn't get your results for 2 days? Did she tell you the test was negative & you just did't get the email for 2 days?

What day was.your cruise?

Edited by Lorey2007

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

You took the "rapid antigen" test with results in less than 2 hours, and you didn't get your results for 2 days? Did she tell you the test was negative & you just did't get the email for 2 days?

What day was.your cruise?

☺️☺️  Oops … now that doesn’t make sense does it??   My apologies for the error. It took 2 HOURS to get the test results via my email.

I did the test because my hubby was around someone who tested positive.  Myself, hubby & son are all negative . 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

My family of (3) have been tested quite frequently. My hubby is in a band and has been exposed to the virus via gigs.  None of us has gone to Kaiser to get a referral. We just go online and make an appointment with CVS.  

There is an option (when making the appointment) to send a photo of the back & front of your health insurance card. Which we do every time. Once there no one has asked to see our health card. We do need ID & the Reservation Number.

We live here in a suburb of Pasadena, CA. What I’ve written is my personal test experiences.   Yes, as you posted anyone can get a Covid Test for FREE by their Provider …. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Thanks 1

I went on Navigator of the Seas in November. I made an appointment online about a week in advance at CVS. There was a kiosk in the parking lot. You literally park next to it, get out of your car and walk up to it, and she hands you the little pack of swabs etc. and instructs you what to do. Then you give it back to her, and will get your results in about an hour via email. It is the antigen test, not the PCR. Your insurance will cover it. Just google who does it in your area. You can also look up testing via county. I know they have a testing site here in Santa Clarita at our college which is a drive thru. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markmom18 said:

☺️☺️  Oops … now that doesn’t make sense does it??   My apologies for the error. It took 2 HOURS to get the test results via my email.

I did the test because my hubby was around someone who tested positive.  Myself, hubby & son are all negative . 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Thank you for clarifying that. We definitely need the 2 hour results.

• Like 1