Cruising to Alaska from Seattle with a stop in Vancouver on last day before disembarkation customs question

Ragdollbd

We will be flying home the day of embarkation from Seattle to Detroit and crossing into Canada that same day.  Are we allowed to bring anything duty free back to Canada after we have just been there the day before?  Usually you have to be away for 48 hours to be able to bring duty free merchandise into the country.

Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, Ragdollbd said:

We will be flying home the day of embarkation from Seattle to Detroit and crossing into Canada that same day.  Are we allowed to bring anything duty free back to Canada after we have just been there the day before?  Usually you have to be away for 48 hours to be able to bring duty free merchandise into the country.

Thanks in advance.

Current exemptions allow for limited duty free purchases when returning after 24 and 48 hours:

Returning after 24 and 48 hours
  • You can claim goods of up to CAN$200 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada.
  • Tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages are not included in this exemption.
  • If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. You have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

In your case, however, it sounds like you will not be out of the country for 24 hours unless you delay your crossing from Detroit until the evening. Whether the wait is worth it for the savings is up to you.

The other possibility, depending on the value and nature of the goods, is to take them ashore in Vancouver and mail them to your home. 

Technically, I guess (but don't know for sure) that you could do both, claiming the $800 exemption when entering in Vancouver and a further $200 exemption when entering from Detroit as long as you delay your crossing to the full 24 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Current exemptions allow for limited duty free purchases when returning after 24 and 48 hours:

Returning after 24 and 48 hours
  • You can claim goods of up to CAN$200 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada.
  • Tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages are not included in this exemption.
  • If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. You have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

In your case, however, it sounds like you will not be out of the country for 24 hours unless you delay your crossing from Detroit until the evening. Whether the wait is worth it for the savings is up to you.

The other possibility, depending on the value and nature of the goods, is to take them ashore in Vancouver and mail them to your home. 

Technically, I guess (but don't know for sure) that you could do both, claiming the $800 exemption when entering in Vancouver and a further $200 exemption when entering from Detroit as long as you delay your crossing to the full 24 hours. 

Thank you.  That's what I thought.

As an example, my husband and I travelled from Seattle to BC to visit family.  My husband’s vacation time was cut short by a recall so we caught the ferry from Victoria, I dropped him at SeaTac, then headed back to Vancouver to enjoy the rest of my holiday.  Without even thinking, I picked up a bottle of vodka for my aunt.  When crossing the border I let them know I had the vodka and was told I could not do that.  Whoops.  My bad.  Best advice I can give is to explain the situation and let them know you declared your duty free goods at Port of Vancouver.  As long as you don’t pick anything else up prior to crossing at Detroit you should be good to go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ragdollbd said:

Thanks in advance.

If you explain to to the customs agent when they ask you should be just fine. The other thing to consider is the ship might not be stopping in Victoria depending on GOC regulations, and if that is the situation then it’s not an issue at all. 

You do have me thinking… if the ship does stop in Victoria and you need a test for the stop, it would be great if it was still valid when you cross at Windsor or Sarnia.  Hopefully the time frames would work if that was the case.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

We live near the US border.  Before the dreaded COVID we used to go to the US weekly or every ten days to shop and buy gas.  We always returned the same day and have brought goods worth up to $200.  No problem.  No duty.  All they seem to be concerned about is cigarettes and liquor.

OP, I would shop in Detroit as long as it is not a lot.  i don't think you will have a problem.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:27 PM, Ragdollbd said:

Thanks in advance.

It should be treated as over 48 hours.  Technically you would be declaring the items when you arrive in Vancouver.  Your then taking the items with you back into the US and then brining them back into Canada.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, em-sk said:

It should be treated as over 48 hours.  Technically you would be declaring the items when you arrive in Vancouver.  Your then taking the items with you back into the US and then brining them back into Canada.  

Had a similar discussion with my DW about our declaration at Canada Customs.  Read the question.  We purchased cheese and alcohol in Quebec City then cruised to Fort Lauderdale.  On our return I declared the food items as the question is "Do you have any food product".  My DW was scolded by the customs agent when she asked whether we needed to declare the items since they were purchased in Canada.  If the question is "how long have you been out of Canada" I am going to say once you leave Victoria, that is when the clocks starts.  I agree with @Fouremco. 

• Like 1