Pre-Cruise Hotel Experiences

Travelbug321

I searched before posting but didn't see what I'm looking for, so I apologize if there is a thread about this already. 

We're flying into Alaska 2 days before our May 2022 cruise, and looking into booking our hotel through NCL, if you've done this in the past, what pros and cons can you share? Thank you!

15 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

In my experience the price they quote you is per person, not room

Thank you, that's helpful to know. The prices through the hotel vs through NCL are the same, and I see that NCL provides airport and pier transfer + included gratuities... So I want to know what the catch is haha

• Like 1

i think y ou're better off checking web sites like booking.com or hotels. com or even expedia. you get a lot more choices and descriptions of every room type available.

remember the old saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've booked through them for an upcoming cruise only because I had FCC to cover it. The rate they are charging me is much more than the rate I could book the same exact hotel for a better room. If not for the FCC, I would absolutely book on my own. And, in Miami at least, they don't offer transfers from the airport to the hotel or the hotel to pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Travelbug321 said:

Thank you, that's helpful to know. The prices through the hotel vs through NCL are the same, and I see that NCL provides airport and pier transfer + included gratuities... So I want to know what the catch is haha

So,,, if the hotel is "o.k." with you, then the package with transfers is obviously better. Some want to try and save $10 by try to book everything on their own,,,, after spending $6000 on a cruise. Some would rather someone else worry about booking the hotels and transfers. 

Pre-pandemic, I would travel every week (sometimes more) for business. And I think that I can read a hotel description and "know" the pluses and minuses. But I have booked some pre-/post-cruise hotels on my own that were really stinkers. Even in Miami,,, which I am very familiar with (both business and cruise). 

Recently, we have been staying at The Charter House - by Hilton. It is block from Pikes Market with lots to see and do. And a few blocks from the Bell Street cruise terminal (we uber down since there is no easy way to walk down the hill to the dock). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to disagree with those who say the Cruise Line price is the same as what you can get by booking your self. 

I recently checked on NYC hotel using NCL. Their price was per person. I then used Booking and got a cheaper rate than what I would have paid for 1 person at the same hotel. 

Transfers are also normally much higher because you are also paying per person.

JMHO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Sorry to disagree with those who say the Cruise Line price is the same as what you can get by booking your self. 

I recently checked on NYC hotel using NCL. Their price was per person. I then used Booking and got a cheaper rate than what I would have paid for 1 person at the same hotel. 

JMHO

So,,, it is the OP that is saying that they can get the same price. Not sure that an example from NYC is relevant to what the OP found when booking a hotel in Seattle. And the OP said that they could get a same price that includes transfers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, if the hotel is "o.k." with you, then the package with transfers is obviously better. Some want to try and save $10 by try to book everything on their own,,,, after spending $6000 on a cruise. Some would rather someone else worry about booking the hotels and transfers. 

Pre-pandemic, I would travel every week (sometimes more) for business. And I think that I can read a hotel description and "know" the pluses and minuses. But I have booked some pre-/post-cruise hotels on my own that were really stinkers. Even in Miami,,, which I am very familiar with (both business and cruise). 

Recently, we have been staying at The Charter House - by Hilton. It is block from Pikes Market with lots to see and do. And a few blocks from the Bell Street cruise terminal (we uber down since there is no easy way to walk down the hill to the dock). 

That’s very helpful info! Thank you. I’ll look into the charter house. NCL’s option is the crowne plaza, and I’m just not entirely sold on it

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, it is the OP that is saying that they can get the same price. Not sure that an example from NYC is relevant to what the OP found when booking a hotel in Seattle. And the OP said that they could get a same price that includes transfers. 

I'm just posting/sharing my recent experiences. I only have 9 cruises booked this year and canceled 2 for this weekend. I have 4 hotel reservations. Two in NYC, 1 in FLL and 1 in Miami. Checked with NCL then booked with Booking.

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

JMHO

When I asked about hotels, the quote they gave me was for double occupancy.  I kinda expect that as a solo traveler.  What I didn't expect was that it was a package, so also paying for 2 transfers as well - nope.

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

When I asked about hotels, the quote they gave me was for double occupancy.  I kinda expect that as a solo traveler.  What I didn't expect was that it was a package, so also paying for 2 transfers as well - nope.

So, to help me clarify, was NCL more than you could get it yourself? 

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

4 minutes ago, Oxo said:

So, to help me clarify, was NCL more than you could get it yourself? 

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

I didn't really pursue it - I was thinking about flying in a day early and didn't want to try to find transportation in an unfamiliar city where I don't speak the language. I'm willing to pay something to have someone take care of all the details around getting me from the airport to my hotel and then my cruise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I didn't really pursue it - I was thinking about flying in a day early and didn't want to try to find transportation in an unfamiliar city where I don't speak the language. I'm willing to pay something to have someone take care of all the details around getting me from the airport to my hotel and then my cruise.

Fully understand. Just stay safe and do not venture into strange areas.

• Like 1

we have traveled to many foreign countries prior to boarding the ncl ship.  we never had any problems securing a taxi. we were on a trans-canal cruise from santiago . chile (of course it was cancelled) march of 2020. if you go on to google and type in shuttle service from the specific airport, to the hotel, you should get a number of choices. same with hotels. booking. com or hotels. com give you a multitude of  choices and prices

i have never had any trouble getting a cab or a shuttle to transfer me from my hotel to the ship.

if really isnt as bad as you my think. if the ship leaves from one port and ends in another, i usually book a hotel for a few days prior and a few days post cruise. 

you can check out the different cabins, and prices on the ncl website, but i really dont want them choosing a hotel for me. it's like buying a pig in a poke

i think you'll be much happier and satisfied doing it yourself.  there are also "travelers aid" in most major airports in the world and they can help you secure transportation on your own.

hope helps in your final decision

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as an after thought, this also included hong kong, singapore, barcelona, hamburg and venice . got a taxi directly from airport to hotel and after the cruise, there a a bunch of cabs and ncl personel to assist you getting either to your hotel or the airport.  most hotels will have a concierge,or someone who can help you get from the property to the ship. again, no problem and not to worry about it, just tell the hotel what you need. ($10 tip woudnt hurt either)

we live in los angeles, and years ago we were leaving from miami on a carribbean cruise, but  the fare into ft lauderdale was much, much cheaper. again, i went online, hired a shuttle to pick us up in lauderale

and take us to the hotel in miami. they were at the airport within 10 minutes of our arrival. they were there in 10 minutes after i called them and took us directly back to the ft lauderale airport.

when it comes to air travel and hotels, i firmly believe that if you want something done right! do it yourself

• Like 2

Excellent suggestions provided by complawyer!

Another thing I may add is I Google and Map the Airport Location to the Hotel and print that out. 

This way when I get into a cab or Uber, I show them the address of the Hotel and they can see the 

location. This gives me a little feeling that the cab driver may think I know where I am going and how to get there.

I lived in LA for years and would do business in LA. Years later I flew into LA and I had to use a cab and the cab driver tried to take me for a ride. When I showed him my phone and the route, he immediately gave me the correct rate and fare.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

as an after thought, this also included hong kong, singapore, barcelona, hamburg and venice . got a taxi directly from airport to hotel and after the cruise, there a a bunch of cabs and ncl personel to assist you getting either to your hotel or the airport.  most hotels will have a concierge,or someone who can help you get from the property to the ship. again, no problem and not to worry about it, just tell the hotel what you need. ($10 tip woudnt hurt either)

we live in los angeles, and years ago we were leaving from miami on a carribbean cruise, but  the fare into ft lauderdale was much, much cheaper. again, i went online, hired a shuttle to pick us up in lauderale

and take us to the hotel in miami. they were at the airport within 10 minutes of our arrival. they were there in 10 minutes after i called them and took us directly back to the ft lauderale airport.

when it comes to air travel and hotels, i firmly believe that if you want something done right! do it yourself

Thank you for the tips, and sharing your experiences! I've typically always booked things on my own but for some reason, this pandemic situation has me second guessing how I "typically" do things. Getting things done the right way - by doing them myself - is definitely something I've believed in as well hahaha! 

Just off an NCL cruise, our first with them. The NCL cruise consultant booked hotel before and after, as well as transfers. The hotel was a lovely fine Hilton product. The transfers felt like an upgrade from our usual taxi or Uber. That said, we will likely make hotel/transport arrangements on our in for future cruises. The cost for hotel ( & I believe transports) were more than what we would have arranged on our own. The hotel was close to the port, could see the ships docked. However, the area was not very walkable, something DH and I enjoy. We have a Med cruise out of Barcelona in the spring, which NCL booked hotel. The fine Hilton product is not at all near what I've read to be an optimal location. I'd rather be in a good area, then just pay for the transport to the terminal. Also on recent cruise, our testing at the pier was 10 am, but transport from hotel to pier was booked for noon. We just called an Uber, ended up on the ship by noonish. Will be booking our own in the future as it just fits our style. But letting NCL handle all was not a bad experience. Kind of an apples and oranges thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we go to Alaska, via Seattle, we usually atay at the Hilton at the airport overnight, then use Seattle express to take us to the port. If I remember right, the shutle was something like $30.00. We use the ship's transfer at the end to the airport, and the luggage valet so we don't have to worry about dragging luggage.

• Like 2

flat footedfreda: we've taken the cruise from barcelona a few times. while it's not in walking distance, we stayed at the crowne plaza. book a room that allows access to the club lounge. it's a great place to relax and chill out either before or after your cruise. the staff at the front desk is extremely helpful, and can arrange a short cab ride to the pier.  you also can get a cab to this hotel from the airport.

rooms are nice. clean and comfortable, and when we stayed there affordable.  if youre departing for the airport immediately after your cruise, there are a bunch of cabs waiting right outside, and porters from ncl to assist.

have a great cruise, and "BON VOYAGE"

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Travelbug321 said:

That’s very helpful info! Thank you. I’ll look into the charter house. NCL’s option is the crowne plaza, and I’m just not entirely sold on it

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza using points in 2011.  We got in late so not too picky where we stayed.

Got there, a few people on corner with NFL gear on.  Seemed odd.

Checked in, got on elevator and a bunch of big dudes got on.  Ended up being Minnesota Vikings were there to play.  Had a nice pool inside that you could she ship.

Other than that, is was nothing special.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza using points in 2011.  We got in late so not too picky where we stayed.

Got there, a few people on corner with NFL gear on.  Seemed odd.

Checked in, got on elevator and a bunch of big dudes got on.  Ended up being Minnesota Vikings were there to play.  Had a nice pool inside that you could she ship.

Other than that, is was nothing special.

You got a good story though! 

6 hours ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

Just off an NCL cruise, our first with them. The NCL cruise consultant booked hotel before and after, as well as transfers. The hotel was a lovely fine Hilton product. The transfers felt like an upgrade from our usual taxi or Uber. That said, we will likely make hotel/transport arrangements on our in for future cruises. The cost for hotel ( & I believe transports) were more than what we would have arranged on our own. The hotel was close to the port, could see the ships docked. However, the area was not very walkable, something DH and I enjoy. We have a Med cruise out of Barcelona in the spring, which NCL booked hotel. The fine Hilton product is not at all near what I've read to be an optimal location. I'd rather be in a good area, then just pay for the transport to the terminal. Also on recent cruise, our testing at the pier was 10 am, but transport from hotel to pier was booked for noon. We just called an Uber, ended up on the ship by noonish. Will be booking our own in the future as it just fits our style. But letting NCL handle all was not a bad experience. Kind of an apples and oranges thing.

Oh thank you for sharing your experience! This is why we’re concerned. We like walking around town and I guess saving a few bucks isn’t worth letting go of control for me hahaha