Bermuda Travel restrictions

S&LMom

1 minute ago, nanrob said:

when we did our travel authorizations for our December Bermuda cruise from NYC, the ship and date did not show up until it was a week or so out.  Also, it was advised that we should not pay for the travel authorization until we had the negative test.  No sense in doing so any sooner.   

Back in December we took our tests on a Friday and uploaded the results that same day.  We had our travel authorizations that same day. (for a Tuesday Departure because at that time they required 4 days ahead)

That was what I read was happening then so I was assuming it would be the same for this year........... that the date would not show up until closer to the sailing. I guess we will find out.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Are there any sailings that are 30 days or less out? I think it will all work out.

The Oceania Marina and Oceania Riviera are due to arrive in less than two weeks, Regent Seven Seas Explorer in less than three weeks. Those are relatively small ships. But on May 4th the Norwegian Epic, a very big ship is due in. 

57 minutes ago, nanrob said:

when we did our travel authorizations for our December Bermuda cruise from NYC, the ship and date did not show up until it was a week or so out.  Also, it was advised that we should not pay for the travel authorization until we had the negative test.  No sense in doing so any sooner.   

Back in December we took our tests on a Friday and uploaded the results that same day.  We had our travel authorizations that same day. (for a Tuesday Departure because at that time they required 4 days ahead)

Yes, that was last year when only a couple of ships sailing far below capacity were calling on Bermuda so there weren't large numbers of applications to process. This year with a more normal season of numerous ship arrivals and those ships likely sailing at least somewhat closer to capacity Bermuda wants the applications spread out so they're not overwhelmed by several thousand applications arriving in a two or three day period.

We are booked for July sailing and read the updated travel requirements ( from 3/7).  States requires a negative test 2 days prior to embarkation  and another 2 days prior to disembarkation in Bermuda if it is not your first stop.   NCL has added Norfolk Va as our first stop. So do we get tested on the ship as we’ll be on it 2 days prior

3 hours ago, negn said:

We are booked for July sailing and read the updated travel requirements ( from 3/7).  States requires a negative test 2 days prior to embarkation  and another 2 days prior to disembarkation in Bermuda if it is not your first stop.   NCL has added Norfolk Va as our first stop. So do we get tested on the ship as we’ll be on it 2 days prior

Yes, for that itinerary you would have to be tested again on the ship.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Bermuda's travel authorization website has now been updated and includes the ability to complete the application form for cruises arriving through early April.

Hopefully they eliminate there 40.00 fee soon

Just now, sullyd said:

Hopefully they eliminate there 40.00 fee soon

Don't hold your breath. As long as they are requiring a travel authorization that needs review by a person rather than just computer processing they're going to impose a charge because those employee salaries have to be paid via some means.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, for that itinerary you would have to be tested again on the ship.

I'm about to book 6/26/22 sailing on Joy and this extra test is bothersome but not a deal breaker.

Any chance they change that in the next 109 days?

42 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm about to book 6/26/22 sailing on Joy and this extra test is bothersome but not a deal breaker.

My guess is no...but if the pandemic threat continues to wane they may eliminate it. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

There is a chance. Also a chance they won't. With the rapid drop in Covid infections if there is not a new surge the tests are not needed in my opinion however Bermuda has taken an extreamly cautious approach so expect to have to take a test if cruising there this year. . 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

what pull does the cruise ship industry have with this protocol? is there any weight or persuation that they have in how this protocol is written or implemented or lifted?  Seems like a simple solution if protocol exists, OTC rapid tests, supervised by a crew member sitting on that side of the the table watching the test be self administered, recording the result. OR crew member walking down the hall door opens to stateroom all occupants self administer test , second crew member collect the result. done. result given to passenger and to bermuda , done. No more trying to figure out when to take the test , when to fill out form , I sure they have made the payment quit easy to figure out, so that is not a problem. has the industry stepped up and said " hey guys could we make this a little less confusing" . seemed easy to add Norfolk stop , there could be another change to the itinerary to ease these travel concerns, what about the crew's ablilty to embark / disembark in Bermuda?  

2 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

what pull does the cruise ship industry have with this protocol?

Friendly discussion. The cruise lines want to go to Bermuda. it is a good itinerary for them from the Northeast. Many can drive to the embarkation ports. 

It is not really confusing. The problem is that it is somewhat of a hassle.  

Edited by Charles4515

40 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Friendly discussion. The cruise lines want to go to Bermuda. it is a good itinerary for them from the Northeast. Many can drive to the embarkation ports. 

It is not really confusing. The problem is that it is somewhat of a hassle.  

On the smaller ships it is not that big a deal.  You organize a location(s) where the crew member(s) run the tests.  There is a small cost to the ship for running the tests.   Not huge amounts more effort than what they have to do for muster.

32 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

On the smaller ships it is not that big a deal.  You organize a location(s) where the crew member(s) run the tests.  There is a small cost to the ship for running the tests.   Not huge amounts more effort than what they have to do for muster.

The cruises that make a port call before Bermuda will be doing something along those lines...that's easy...BUT...that doesn't replace the need to get a pre-boarding COVID test, which is required for any itinerary, plus for Bermuda filing the travel authorization application and receiving approval . 

So if we fill out the authorization form at home with all our passport and vaccine information let’s say weeks in advance paying the 40.00pp. Then after taking the test on the ship a day or two prior to arrival in Bermuda do we submit that to Bermuda or does the ship? Do we get a number associated with our authorization done earlier?

22 minutes ago, PMO said:

So if we fill out the authorization form at home with all our passport and vaccine information let’s say weeks in advance paying the 40.00pp. Then after taking the test on the ship a day or two prior to arrival in Bermuda do we submit that to Bermuda or does the ship? Do we get a number associated with our authorization done earlier?

You have to take your test, submit the report to Bermuda and receive final approval of your travel authorization before you arrive at the pier to board your cruise. You'll submit the approval document to your cruise line at check in.

Then if you're on a  cruise requiring an additional test because it makes a port call prior to Bermuda or your embarkation was more than four days before your ship's arrival in Bermuda, that additional test will be conducted on board by your ship's medical staff. The results of that test will be provided to Bermuda health authorities by the ship. 

Thank you so much for your help. I may appear dense but you can apply for the travel authorization weeks in advance correct? Then give Bermuda your test results you need for embarkation to get final approval? So two steps correct? 

3 minutes ago, PMO said:

Thank you so much for your help. I may appear dense but you can apply for the travel authorization weeks in advance correct? Then give Bermuda your test results you need for embarkation to get final approval? So two steps correct? 

The website where you access the application form, https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation will list cruises scheduled to embark up to approximately a month in advance and you're encouraged to complete and submit your application, documentation and payment any time after your cruise is listed on the site. Then as the cruise date approaches you'll be reminded to submit your COVID test results in order to complete the application process and receive approval for travel to Bermuda.

So, yes...it can be done in two steps and Bermuda actually prefers that so that they're not swamped with new applications in the two or three days prior to each cruise's embarkation.

I would hope that the cruise lines would communicate with their passengers in advance to sail dates with information regarding the protocols, spelling out what passengers need to do in advance and what the cruise line will be offering regarding pre-arrival testing.  Okay, maybe I'm hoping for too much!

29 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

I would hope that the cruise lines would communicate with their passengers in advance to sail dates with information regarding the protocols, spelling out what passengers need to do in advance and what the cruise line will be offering regarding pre-arrival testing.  Okay, maybe I'm hoping for too much!

You should check you cruise line's website as some lines provide documentation of travel requirements by country. But...a word of caution... it can take a while for the cruise lines to catch up with the ever-changing requirements so at times their websites can be outdated, and sometimes the cruise line can even misinterpret a requirement.

If we get the Covid test results two days before leaving on cruise, how do we submit the test results along with other required documentation to Bermuda in time for them to send us approval?

I am sure it is all possible and by May I should understand what needs to be done.  

39 minutes ago, dazey said:

If we get the Covid test results two days before leaving on cruise, how do we submit the test results along with other required documentation to Bermuda in time for them to send us approval?

I am sure it is all possible and by May I should understand what needs to be done.  

You'll get a reminder from Bermuda a few days before your sailing that you have to submit  your test results. It will give you a link to your application record so you can will upload the test report in a similar fashion to the way you uploaded your proof of vaccination when you originally submitted your application.

Don't fret. Bermuda had the same process in place last year and people were able to do it.