Connecting laptop to cabin television

postnobills

Hi all. We have an upcoming cruise on Quest and I'm wondering if there is a way to connect my laptop (or an iPad) to the TV in our cabin.  We'll be in a suite, but I imagine all cabin TVs are similar.  I've read of ways to do this on Celebrity ships, but haven't seen a similar thread on Azamara forum.  TIA! 

If the tv has an HDMI input then it should be very easy. I bought an HDMI cable to connect my ipad to the tv we keep in our travel trailer. It works great. We can watch NETFLIX when we want. 
Our travel trailer tv is a very basic model so I think HDMI inputs are pretty standard. 

20 minutes ago, Killin Time said:

If the tv has an HDMI input then it should be very easy. I bought an HDMI cable to connect my ipad to the tv we keep in our travel trailer. It works great. We can watch NETFLIX when we want. 
Our travel trailer tv is a very basic model so I think HDMI inputs are pretty standard. 

Yes the TV is likely to have an HDMI input, but on some cruise ships they have been deactivated.

• Like 2

They have HDMI but it’s very tight, due to the tvs being hard against the wall. Not easy to connect but is doable with persistence. You’ll also need a universal remote control; otherwise you won’t be able to change the input to HDMI. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AJCM said:

They have HDMI but it’s very tight, due to the tvs being hard against the wall. Not easy to connect but is doable with persistence. You’ll also need a universal remote control; otherwise you won’t be able to change the input to HDMI. 

Does anyone know what brand TVs they have on Quest?  I have lots of remotes laying around -- maybe I've already got one that will work.

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I believe they are Samsung. Not sure how easy it is to do. They are set up in hotel mode. 

Phil 

Yes Phil that’s correct and I believe that hotel mode disconnects the HDMI input, there are plenty of online instructions available to disabled the hotel mode. But it would not be right to do this as the tv’s are set to work with the onboard system and disconnecting the hotel mode would stop this function working, causing problems for following passengers.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Yes Phil that’s correct and I believe that hotel mode disconnects the HDMI input, there are plenty of online instructions available to disabled the hotel mode. But it would not be right to do this as the tv’s are set to work with the onboard system and disconnecting the hotel mode would stop this function working, causing problems for following passengers.

And I'm sure they don't like you connecting your own devices to their equipment.  

Phil 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With the universal remote, you just change the input back to standard when not using the HDMI - no problem either doing it or adversely impacting the hotel mode. It would be pretty slack for someone to end their cruise and leave the tv in the HDMI setting.

Of course, if Azamara actually provided decent offerings, we wouldn’t need to find a work around. There are very few entertainment channels and the movie rotations are very limited. For example, we hardly ever see young children aboard but they always seem to have a couple of kids films on rotation. Maybe it’ll improve with new owners but I’d be surprised.

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, Killin Time said:

If the TV is a Samsung, it may be as easy as screen sharing with your apple product. Were you successful with your HDMI CABLE?

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, gsutiger2 said:

Can we cast from our tablet/laptop to the cabin TV on Azamara? What about using Roku or Fire TV Stick? 

Thank you 

We've been on Pursuit, Quest and Journey in the last year and none had the ability to cast UNLESS you have a Samsung phone, the TV is a Samsung and either the input is open (Pursuit) or you have a universal remote (Quest and Journey since input is blocked).  Even that may vary by cabin. 

• Like 1

We were just on Journey and it is now impossible to attach a HDMI cord, unfortunately. At least they now provide around 15 movies in demand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gsutiger2 said:

Uggh concerning the TVs. I have a samsung tablet, perhaps I can try with that. We we're hoping to watch the shows we downloaded. 

If your tablet has Smart View to share the screen it may work if it is a Samsung TV which they usually are. 

• Like 1