Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2022

barbpretz

We asked the guy at the elevator which restaurant was open for embarkation lunch.  He said the Buffet only and directed us to the Buffet.  We did a tour of all four dining rooms and one was open with only two other people in it.  Don't always believe what they tell you!  

• Like 6

On 2/7/2022 at 3:41 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I've read that main dining room on embarkation is not happening on the West Coast (specifically the Grand Princess).  It is a great tip, if we can get Princess to start it up again.  

It was happening.  Stopped....future?

happened on the Grand 1/4 & Majestic 1/29...so it may have only been that one sailing (1/19)

on the Grand that didn't happen (possibly because they were down staff d/t covid cases & having to test all incoming passengers?)

• Thanks 1

other than the things already mentioned: 

• military OBC (which is refundable)
  • the International Cafe (I am sad about how many cruises I didn't know that it was included & not an extra charge), great sandwiches & I always take zip lock baggies to have cookies in my cabin
  • pre purchase bottled water if you don't have a beverage plan
  • if your shoe falls apart on the cruise the upholsterer might be able to fix it for you (free)
  • made to order omelets in the buffet

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

OMG yes!. Magnetic hooks are mandatory…so many uses.  We also bring Command hooks.  They will stick on slick services such as mirrors.  In an OV cabin they can hang inside the window, and if any sun, makes a great way to dry clothes.

Yes on the magnetic hooks, command hooks AND suction cup hooks.  I have a small baggie with an assortment. They stick to the mirror over the bed. I run the tubing for my CPAP through a loop of string on a suction cup hook on the mirror. This keeps the tubing up and out of the way. I can roll over any time I want without hassling with the tubing. 

ps, if all of you CPAP users haven't tried arranging your tubing this way,  give it a try, it really works well. 

I use one of these at home, 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HQ9RF5/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1HB4S8QR4WO7V&psc=1

but looking it up,  I found this. It looks great to me. I'm going to order two for myself. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09443RJGF/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=AGCDBUXVH8DCC&psc=1

It

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fisherwoman said:

We asked the guy at the elevator which restaurant was open for embarkation lunch.  He said the Buffet only and directed us to the Buffet.  We did a tour of all four dining rooms and one was open with only two other people in it.  Don't always believe what they tell you!  

I've tested this, several times on different ships. I have no idea why but they deliberately steer you away from the dining room on embarkation day, knowing full well that it is open. You just have to go find the open dining room yourself. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, heathriel said:

Just found this out on our current sailing, but there’s a secret Indian menu you can order in the MDR with 24 hours notice.

I was going to take pictures when it arrived but everything smelled so good we started eating before I remembered!

This is a whole different caliber than what they serve at the buffets/lunch menu.

641153D4-0900-4E36-8820-E7E9C59E6FC5.jpeg

48248ADD-2237-4FE1-A95A-A9F60C493926.jpeg

Can you give any more information about the curry - what meats and what sauces (Biryani,  Jalfrezi,  Madras, Vindaloo, Korma etc ? ) I think I can see some cucumber raita. Was mango chutney also available?  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I've tested this, several times on different ships. I have no idea why but they deliberately steer you away from the dining room on embarkation day, knowing full well that it is open. You just have to go find the open dining room yourself. 

Chances are the people telling you that the dining rooms are closed do not realize one may be open. The guides do not work in the dining area and may not be familiar at all with what really happens on embarkation day.

I once mentioned to a Cruise Director how I started my cruise with lunch in the dining room. He was stunned as he had no knowledge after being with Princess for several years that there was a dining room open for lunch on embarkation day. And, he was in charge of producing the Patter which included the information about the dining room being open.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, caribill said:

Chances are the people telling you that the dining rooms are closed do not realize one may be open. The guides do not work in the dining area and may not be familiar at all with what really happens on embarkation day.

I once mentioned to a Cruise Director how I started my cruise with lunch in the dining room. He was stunned as he had no knowledge after being with Princess for several years that there was a dining room open for lunch on embarkation day. And, he was in charge of producing the Patter which included the information about the dining room being open.

Good point. The crew does deserve the benefit of the doubt. I stand corrected. 😀

• Like 1

Elites- You can have high tea delivered to your stateroom, a perk some forget about.

It was a pretty impressive set up last month on the Enchanted. Scones, tea sandwiches  and some beautiful desserts with tea and coffee on the balcony.  Check with room service to see how far in advance you need to place your order, it was 24 hours on the Enchanted. 
(It’s the same set up as in the dining room but a more peaceful experience) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 6:26 PM, Bogof1 said:

My favourites are…main dining room on embarkation day, ….buying future cruise credits on board to gain on board credit for future cruises…if not used they are returned win win!…..if I think of any more I will be back!!! 🤔

So, if I purchase FCC while on a cruise and I decide not to use them I get a refund?  What is the timeline that you need to either use them or get refunded?

11 hours ago, heathriel said:

We’re currently on the Grand. They said Indian meals are available fleet-wide.

Stomach upset from spicy food? Go to the buffet and ask for slices of papaya. They don't set it out but you can ask. Papaya has enzymes that will settle an upset stomach. 

Great to know for us next week. Will ask about it. Separate menu or off menu?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, heathriel said:

Just found this out on our current sailing, but there’s a secret Indian menu you can order in the MDR with 24 hours notice.

I was going to take pictures when it arrived but everything smelled so good we started eating before I remembered!

This is a whole different caliber than what they serve at the buffets/lunch menu.

Do you recall what any of the dishes were called? I'm a sucker for "new & different" food.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Been there, done that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

So, if I purchase FCC while on a cruise and I decide not to use them I get a refund?  What is the timeline that you need to either use them or get refunded?

Note: it's actually Future Cruise Deposits. FCC are a different animal.

Timeline is 2 years, unless you request an extension before they expire.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Elites- You can have high tea delivered to your stateroom, a perk some forget about.

It was a pretty impressive set up last month on the Enchanted. Scones, tea sandwiches  and some beautiful desserts with tea and coffee on the balcony.  Check with room service to see how far in advance you need to place your order, it was 24 hours on the Enchanted. 
(It’s the same set up as in the dining room but a more peaceful experience) 

That is a nice perk. We were also on Enchanted last month. They were supposedly serving "tea" at 3:30, in the buffet, but there were no tea sandwiches, no scones and no clotted cream.  They need to rephrase that and call it late lunch.

We're platinum, with a long way to go to reach elite. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, heathriel said:

I'm never a fan of these "secrets" threads, but this post of yours is pure gold. We dearly love Indian food and had no idea. Thanks!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Grammy J said:

On post #8, sirclean talks about looking at the “ship filter”. What is that and where do you find it. It sounds like a good feature for us! Thanks 

In the Princess site, you "plan a cruise" and then you have choices to make (drop down boxes) 

Destination  Date/length   Start/End Port and then Ship

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, candy4040 said:

There are no additional charges to eat in Alfredos.  It took a couple of times cruising for me to realize that it was included in the cost of the cruise.

You can get  Alfredo’s pizza delivered to your room for three dollars per pizza

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Can you give any more information about the curry - what meats and what sauces (Biryani,  Jalfrezi,  Madras, Vindaloo, Korma etc ? ) I think I can see some cucumber raita. Was mango chutney also available?  

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm never a fan of these "secrets" threads, but this post of yours is pure gold. We dearly love Indian food and had no idea. Thanks!

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Do you recall what any of the dishes were called? I'm a sucker for "new & different" food.

They asked us ahead of time what kinds of things we would want, and I don't eat red meat or pork, so that drove the menu a bit, but we didn't get a chance to really order anything -- although I'm sure you could request something specific. It was served family-style. We had:

Chicken Biryani

Butter Chicken

Tofu Tikka Masala

Papadam

Wheat Naan

Raitha

We didn't have any chutneys, although I have seen some around the ship with other meals, so I'm sure that could be requested. The chicken was all on the bone, so definitely more authentic than one might be used to with an Indian restaurant. They told us if there were more than just the two of us then they could have more dishes, but there's only so much we can eat.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Stomach upset from spicy food? Go to the buffet and ask for slices of papaya. They don't set it out but you can ask. Papaya has enzymes that will settle an upset stomach. 

Great to know for us next week. Will ask about it. Separate menu or off menu?

Off menu.