New on Carnival's protocols page: "Document of Recovery"

crazy4themouse

13 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

It will be interesting how many people don't follow the new requirements properly and show up at the pier with incomplete or inadequate documentation to support their claim.  I can see it now as a bunch of people start getting angry at the port staff because they flew in for the cruise and they have something missing from their letter.  I feel sorry for the employees on the ground having to decipher all this.

I think the instructions are difficult to understand.

16 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

Thank you.  That is interesting to me - I wonder if there are a lot of MDs out there willing to take on the liability of saying a covid-positive person is recovered and should be permitted to cruise (especially with so many people getting covid/testing positive multiple times).  

But I guess we will probably get testimonials here in the near future.  🙂

we have the same policy at work. Most doctors will. The critical point is that you don’t test again. There is no liability for a doctor to say ‘so and so tested positive on x date and has recovered’. That is a routine medical letter. The liability would be if you test positive pre-cruise and they would have to say ‘disregard so and sos positive test since they recovered from covid recently’. I don’t think you’ll find any doctor willing to write that letter.

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

we have the same policy at work. Most doctors will. The critical point is that you don’t test again. There is no liability for a doctor to say ‘so and so tested positive on x date and has recovered’. That is a routine medical letter. The liability would be if you test positive pre-cruise and they would have to say ‘disregard so and sos positive test since they recovered from covid recently’. I don’t think you’ll find any doctor willing to write that letter.

The critical point is you have to have a documented positive test within 90 days of sailing and the doctor's statement of recovery. There is nothing that says Carnival won't test you at the additional screening - perhaps an antigen test - and that it is still up to their discretion whether you can board.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The critical point is you have to have a documented positive test within 90 days of sailing and the doctor's statement of recovery. There is nothing that says Carnival won't test you at the additional screening - perhaps an antigen test - and that it is still up to their discretion whether you can board.

No one ever asks if you have a positive test within 90 days of sailing. They usually ask about a test within 10 days of sailing. The recovery means you don't have to be a pre-cruise test. Because you could falsely test positive. To turn around and test you at embarkation would defeat the point. No doctor's excuse will allow you to board within 10 days of a positive test. You have not not test for this policy to make any sense. So could they turn around and test you, sure, but why would they?? It would make your doctor's excuse and therefore this policy meaningless. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

No one ever asks if you have a positive test within 90 days of sailing. They usually ask about a test within 10 days of sailing. The recovery means you don't have to be a pre-cruise test. Because you could falsely test positive. To turn around and test you at embarkation would defeat the point. No doctor's excuse will allow you to board within 10 days of a positive test. You have not not test for this policy to make any sense. So could they turn around and test you, sure, but why would they?? It would make your doctor's excuse and therefore this policy meaningless. 

A documented positive test is part of the required documentation in the new process.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
  • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the individual has been cleared to end isolation, is at least 10 days past their positive test result date, and can travel. The letter should include the date of the positive test and patient identifiers such as name and date of birth that match the passport or other travel documents.

As I understand it, PCR tests are more sensitive and can show positive for some time after the person has recovered. PCR tests are what unvaccinated people are required to take within 3 days of the cruise. Antigen tests are less likely to be positive because of a prior infection and results can be obtained quickly. If an Antigen test says you have covid, you likely do.

I think Carnival will provide more guidance as experience is gained with the new process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Not covered.

But what about my 3rd cousin twice removed's best friend's uncle's mail carrier. She had it and has recovered. Well, until that dog attacked their leg, now they have gangrene. What about that?

Or maybe just read what Carnival has put out and see if that situtation applies?

• Haha 3

So would testing weekly before the cruise like I have done help? Lets say I test positive 13 days before with a RT-PCR Test done  by a testing company? Do I then go to my Doctor and show them this test  and 10 days after they write me a letter?  I am fully vaccinated and boosted so I think the Cruiselines should  not even bother if its been 10 days and more to ask for a Doctor's note. 

Let me get this straight would I also be denied boarding an international flight if I have recovered from COVID?  Why get a flippin Doctor's note that is controversial when I am fully vaccinated and boosted? I have isolated for  5 days and wore my mask for 10 days.

Why can't they fix the PCR test to have it show negative after 10 days or just have the tester on the 2nd test switch the results to negative?

I am confused as to what negative viral test they would accept.

Edited by travelplus

3 hours ago, bgrmini said:

But what about my 3rd cousin twice removed's best friend's uncle's mail carrier. She had it and has recovered. Well, until that dog attacked their leg, now they have gangrene. What about that?

Not covered unless they can produce the required documentation that satisfies the requirements.

3 hours ago, bgrmini said:

Or maybe just read what Carnival has put out and see if that situtation applies?

Not covered. 

3 hours ago, Kentucky816 said:

The first cruise line that drops ALL protocols and acts like normal pre March 2020 will be my

new cruise line.  

Mandates are crumbling around the world……..it won’t be long they will all go mark my words.  

Marked

258381_o01_sharpie_industrial_permanent_

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, travelplus said:

So would testing weekly before the cruise like I have done help? Lets say I test positive 13 days before with a RT-PCR Test done  by a testing company? Do I then go to my Doctor and show them this test  and 10 days after they write me a letter?  I am fully vaccinated and boosted so I think the Cruiselines should  not even bother if its been 10 days and more to ask for a Doctor's note. 

Let me get this straight would I also be denied boarding an international flight if I have recovered from COVID?  Why get a flippin Doctor's note that is controversial when I am fully vaccinated and boosted? I have isolated for  5 days and wore my mask for 10 days.

Why can't they fix the PCR test to have it show negative after 10 days or just have the tester on the 2nd test switch the results to negative?

I am confused as to what negative viral test they would accept.

I believe the positive test has to be one performed by a medical professional. As I understand it the at home tests aren't as sensitive as the PCR so there is little danger of testing positive, but I do admit that all of the testing options confuse me.

40 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I believe the positive test has to be one performed by a medical professional. As I understand it the at home tests aren't as sensitive as the PCR so there is little danger of testing positive, but I do admit that all of the testing options confuse me.

I hope they drop the testing because its not 100 percent clear. Listen I very well know the risks.When I go to m local indoor mall I do not expect everyone to be vaccinated. I wear my mask and heck.I went to Vegas before the vaccine during the height of the pandemic and did not get sick and my temp was normal .Did I take a ridk? Yes? Was I scared? No because of the Hepa Filters which I knew about for years.

Listen I did not need a test to go to Vegas in October 2020 so why now? I am pro masking,pro vaccines but a test that is not accurate could deny ms boarding is not fair.

All I ask for is the Cruiselines anc Airlines to be more lienient. We know that after 10 days we could still test positive so why a flippin Doctors letter? I don't even need that to return to my College campus of 3,000 should I test positive.

By me entering the gangplank I submit to taking a risk. Please take my temperature, do a Daily Health Aassesment using my app which I do at my college. Only unvaccinated students are required to take biweekly tests. I do it weekly on a voluntary basis. Really if you have pre existing conditions you are criising,?

I do have a bit of a beef with the test but I do it as its required .

33 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I hope they drop the testing because its not 100 percent clear. Listen I very well know the risks.When I go to m local indoor mall I do not expect everyone to be vaccinated. I wear my mask and heck.I went to Vegas before the vaccine during the height of the pandemic and did not get sick and my temp was normal .Did I take a ridk? Yes? Was I scared? No because of the Hepa Filters which I knew about for years.

Listen I did not need a test to go to Vegas in October 2020 so why now? I am pro masking,pro vaccines but a test that is not accurate could deny ms boarding is not fair.

All I ask for is the Cruiselines anc Airlines to be more lienient. We know that after 10 days we could still test positive so why a flippin Doctors letter? I don't even need that to return to my College campus of 3,000 should I test positive.

By me entering the gangplank I submit to taking a risk. Please take my temperature, do a Daily Health Aassesment using my app which I do at my college. Only unvaccinated students are required to take biweekly tests. I do it weekly on a voluntary basis. Really if you have pre existing conditions you are criising,?

I do have a bit of a beef with the test but I do it as its required .

I get what you are saying but the doctor's letter is not a requirement, it is an alternative for those who meet the criteria. 

I tested positive (PCR) Jan 3rd before a surgical procedure. Only had a slight fever and sniffles. Saw my Dr. today and got my signed letter of recovery. Sailing Feb 20th to Hawaii and I don't know if the recovery will satisfy Hawaii, so I may have to go ahead and get tested before flying out to Long Beach.

If not, and if they don't accept the new recovery protocol, how can I go back in time and get tested the 18th?

1 hour ago, auburn77 said:

I tested positive (PCR) Jan 3rd before a surgical procedure. Only had a slight fever and sniffles. Saw my Dr. today and got my signed letter of recovery. Sailing Feb 20th to Hawaii and I don't know if the recovery will satisfy Hawaii, so I may have to go ahead and get tested before flying out to Long Beach.

If not, and if they don't accept the new recovery protocol, how can I go back in time and get tested the 18th?

Get tested now to see if it is moot 

My husband and I both tested positive for covid in January. We have the necessary documentation from the lab that performed our tests which gave positive results, and we were in touch with our doctors at the time. But since my symptoms were mild and my husband had no symptoms at all, our doctors simply advised us to isolate and recover at home. We were never seen by our doctors or treated. We are booked on a cruise that sails in 22 days, which is within the 90-day window of continuing to test positive. It's possible our doctors will provide letters, but it's also possible they won't. It's also very likely that we will test positive. What do we do? Even if we have the documentation and letters from our doctors, the part that is really concerning to us is the statement at the end that reads: 

On 2/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, Beach710 said:

Guests who present these documents will need to go through secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

We don't know whether to go forward or cancel. We have not only the expense of the cruise at risk, but also our flights to the port and a hotel room. Would you risk going forward? I would really appreciate some level-headed opinions.

28 minutes ago, I12Cruise said:

My husband and I both tested positive for covid in January. We have the necessary documentation from the lab that performed our tests which gave positive results, and we were in touch with our doctors at the time. But since my symptoms were mild and my husband had no symptoms at all, our doctors simply advised us to isolate and recover at home. We were never seen by our doctors or treated. We are booked on a cruise that sails in 22 days, which is within the 90-day window of continuing to test positive. It's possible our doctors will provide letters, but it's also possible they won't. It's also very likely that we will test positive. What do we do? Even if we have the documentation and letters from our doctors, the part that is really concerning to us is the statement at the end that reads: 

We don't know whether to go forward or cancel. We have not only the expense of the cruise at risk, but also our flights to the port and a hotel room. Would you risk going forward? I would really appreciate some level-headed opinions.

Are you still testing positive with a PCR test or a rapid antigen? Try a rapid antigen 

On 2/9/2022 at 3:18 PM, Kentucky816 said:

The first cruise line that drops ALL protocols and acts like normal pre March 2020 will be my

new cruise line.  

Mandates are crumbling around the world……..it won’t be long they will all go mark my words.  

BINGO!

I recovered from Covid in early January. I heard that you could test positive for up to three months and was worried sick that I'd test positive for my cruise tomorrow. It was negative (yay!), but had it been positive, this new policy would have been a cruise-saver!  Glad they have this in place. I'm sure it will be a vacation saver for some!

32 minutes ago, harcher said:

I recovered from Covid in early January. I heard that you could test positive for up to three months and was worried sick that I'd test positive for my cruise tomorrow. It was negative (yay!), but had it been positive, this new policy would have been a cruise-saver!  Glad they have this in place. I'm sure it will be a vacation saver for some!

I'm going to call my provider's office this morning and see if this is something that they can provide. If nothing else it saves a test for later (we have several on hand).

11 hours ago, auburn77 said:

I would check if HI will accept the letter. Then take a test on the 18th (now too just for peace of mind) and if neg you don’t need to bother with the letter. If pos, you have the letter.

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I would check if HI will accept the letter. Then take a test on the 18th (now too just for peace of mind) and if neg you don’t need to bother with the letter. If pos, you have the letter.

I will probably take the test on the 18th, but will give Carnival the letter before I give them the test results. It may save me from getting tested at the dock and again two days into the cruise. You're tested a total of three times for this cruise. Two days before, once at embarkation and two days into the cruise.

• Like 1