New on Carnival's protocols page: "Document of Recovery"

crazy4themouse

I just noticed the protocols page was updated today, and now has this section added. Should make a lot of people happy!

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

Documentation of Recovery

Guests (either fully vaccinated or not) who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of their sailing date, do not need the required pre-cruise COVID test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and present documentation of recovery from COVID-19 from their healthcare provider. Please visit our FAQs for complete information.

2 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I was hoping for this! Husband is almost 2 weeks since his positive and is still testing positive. Not really worried but you never know how long you could still test positive.

Are those positive tests PCR tests or rapid antigen tests?

• Like 1

I can see the benefit for unvaccinated people, but I don't know about vaccinated?

I think someone I'm cruising with next week would qualify for this (they are vaccinated), so then would they have to (1) prove they had covid and (2) get documentation from their doc stating they have recovered? 

I think it would be easier/less expensive to just take the $32 BinaxNow home test and be done with it.  I'm pretty sure my doctor's office would not provide "documentation of recovery" without confirming a negative Covid test.  Isn't it basically the same thing (with the added cost of doctor visit)?  What am I missing?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

I can see the benefit for unvaccinated people, but I don't know about vaccinated?

I think someone I'm cruising with next week would qualify for this (they are vaccinated), so then would they have to (1) prove they had covid and (2) get documentation from their doc stating they have recovered? 

I think it would be easier/less expensive to just take the $32 BinaxNow home test and be done with it.  I'm pretty sure my doctor's office would not provide "documentation of recovery" without confirming a negative Covid test.  Isn't it basically the same thing (with the added cost of doctor visit)?  What am I missing?  

Many people, vax or not, can test positive for up to 3 months following recovery from Covid.  This would allow someone who has recovered, but is still testing positive, to sail.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Many people, vax or not, can test positive for up to 3 months following recovery from Covid.  This would allow someone who has recovered, but is still testing positive, to sail.

Thank you.  That is interesting to me - I wonder if there are a lot of MDs out there willing to take on the liability of saying a covid-positive person is recovered and should be permitted to cruise (especially with so many people getting covid/testing positive multiple times).  

But I guess we will probably get testimonials here in the near future.  🙂

• Like 2

I wonder how many people self-diagnosed themselves?

Will I still need a pre-cruise COVID test before embarkation if I have recently recovered from COVID-19?

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19.

Documentation of Recovery is accepted for both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
  • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the individual has been cleared to end isolation, is at least 10 days past their positive test result date, and can travel. The letter should include the date of the positive test and patient identifiers such as name and date of birth that matches the passport or other travel documents.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I wonder how many people self-diagnosed themselves?

That is another thing I was just thinking about.  Some of the people I know who tested positive just used the non-proctored home test, so they have no official record they ever had covid, so I guess that rules them out right off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Carnival is trying to give options for more people to cruise.  I was just thinking it through and with most of the people I know, it's just easier to still complete the approved proctored home test 2 days before sailing and be done with it.  (But now I realize that doesn't work for some people who continue to test positive).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

That is another thing I was just thinking about.  Some of the people I know who tested positive just used the non-proctored home test, so they have no official record they ever had covid, so I guess that rules them out right off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Carnival is trying to give options for more people to cruise.  I was just thinking it through and with most of the people I know, it's just easier to still complete the approved proctored home test 2 days before sailing and be done with it.  (But now I realize that doesn't work for some people who continue to test positive).

If they tested at all.

I think faster to get tested than to go through secondary screening at the port. If they have recovered, I wouldn't think an antigen test would pick up anything.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

Here in Alberta they have not been testing everyone only certain groups are being offered PCR testing so there is no way to get a letter from a Doctor since the only test you would have is a home test and no way for the doctor to know when it was administered.  I suppose an Individual could have done a proctored test if they were thinking that far ahead.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

If they tested at all.

I think faster to get tested than to go through secondary screening at the port. If they have recovered, I wouldn't think an antigen test would pick up anything.

I was told that I shouldn't have a PCR test for 3 months. That test (as I understand it) is more sensitive than the rapid tests and can still show a positive, that's how it was explained to me. Of course I will just use the proctored at home test since that is easier then trying to get a letter from my provider.

7 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

Yep.  I used the Home test and required no medical attention.  

6 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

If your medical provider never diagnosed you, there's zero chance they'll give you the required documentation. 

As others said, this works great for someone who had Covid 6 weeks ago, got appropriate medical treatment, and then recovered thereby eliminating the risk of a lingering positive test.

• Like 2

I’ve tested positive 2 times now. I suspect I got the virus on Magic January 15 cruise because we were told our head waiter tested positive next to last night of cruise. I had no idea I had anything wrong except a stuffy nose. I’m prone to get a head cold after a cruise anyway so wasn’t worried. Went on about my business, hospital for test for DH, my dr appointment, grocery store, etc. we were scheduled to go on a 4 day on Liberty on the 31st so had test at Walgreens Saturday. Got result in about an hour, I was positive! No one else in our group was. Later that day went to urgent care for another test, positive! So I isolated for the week, got another test Saturday, still positive! Good luck in getting your doctor to give you a letter saying you’re ok to sail. I called mine for help and advice for what I needed to do, and haven’t heard a word! I think I’ll be looking for a new doctor after 10 years of being with this one! And yes, I’m fully vaccinated and boosted with Moderna.

• Like 2

I think right now this would benefit mainly just a couple of different groups:  those who did see a doctor for covid just because they felt they needed to or needed to for work or something (and then may be able to get their doctor to sign off on recovery) and people who have a cruise booked already so that if they suspect covid they can already have it in mind to visit their doctor.

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I was told that I shouldn't have a PCR test for 3 months. That test (as I understand it) is more sensitive than the rapid tests and can still show a positive, that's how it was explained to me. Of course I will just use the proctored at home test since that is easier then trying to get a letter from my provider.

Yep. I would pass on a PCR test within 10 days of sailing, but I might get one outside of that for my own knowledge.

For cruising, IF vaccinated, an approved antigen test should be fine.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

I think right now this would benefit mainly just a couple of different groups:  those who did see a doctor for covid just because they felt they needed to or needed to for work or something (and then may be able to get their doctor to sign off on recovery) and people who have a cruise booked already so that if they suspect covid they can already have it in mind to visit their doctor.

You need proof of a positive COVID test during the appropriate window of time <90 Days >10 days  and the Healthcare provider stating when you had COVID and you are cleared travel. 

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the individual has been cleared to end isolation, is at least 10 days past their positive test result date, and can travel. The letter should include the date of the positive test and patient identifiers such as name and date of birth that match the passport or other travel documents.
Guests who present these documents will need to go through secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

• Like 1

It will be interesting how many people don't follow the new requirements properly and show up at the pier with incomplete or inadequate documentation to support their claim.  I can see it now as a bunch of people start getting angry at the port staff because they flew in for the cruise and they have something missing from their letter.  I feel sorry for the employees on the ground having to decipher all this.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

I’ve tested positive 2 times now. I suspect I got the virus on Magic January 15 cruise because we were told our head waiter tested positive next to last night of cruise. I had no idea I had anything wrong except a stuffy nose. I’m prone to get a head cold after a cruise anyway so wasn’t worried. Went on about my business, hospital for test for DH, my dr appointment, grocery store, etc. we were scheduled to go on a 4 day on Liberty on the 31st so had test at Walgreens Saturday. Got result in about an hour, I was positive! No one else in our group was. Later that day went to urgent care for another test, positive! So I isolated for the week, got another test Saturday, still positive! Good luck in getting your doctor to give you a letter saying you’re ok to sail. I called mine for help and advice for what I needed to do, and haven’t heard a word! I think I’ll be looking for a new doctor after 10 years of being with this one! And yes, I’m fully vaccinated and boosted with Moderna.

UPDATE

my doctors office did call, take Tylenol, drink lots of fluid and rest. Good medical advice!

4 hours ago, Bostwick girl said: