So Bummed. Sold out cruise.

MOteacher

I booked my cruise last November on the Glory for March 13.  I have been stalking the booking and today all the balconies sold out.  Only one suite is showing, and just a couple decks with a few insides left.  Yes, I know it is spring break, but after watching for months all of you saying you cruised at 50% or less, I was hoping for at least maybe 70%.  Nope, looks like it's going to be very full if not sold out.  

I'm immunocompromised and was hoping for fewer passengers.  Guess I'll be spending a lot of time on my balcony.  I guess it's  good that is my favorite thing to do (besides eating).

Well, sad for me, but I bet Carnival is happy.

If you have cruises coming up, especially this summer, I'd start planning on plenty of company.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hooked Already said:

You might not be able to judge it yet. As the ship starts getting  close to the set limit they could be removing open rooms.

I hope I am misreading,   I know on my booking early dining is already on a waitlist.  So, just trying to read between the lines.  I know they never show all the rooms available in any category  because they don't want anyone to know how they are selling, but when deck after deck reads sold out, I'm assuming they really are.

I would think their limit is still pretty high, but who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOteacher said:

I booked my cruise last November on the Glory for March 13.  I have been stalking the booking and today all the balconies sold out.  Only one suite is showing, and just a couple decks with a few insides left.  Yes, I know it is spring break, but after watching for months all of you saying you cruised at 50% or less, I was hoping for at least maybe 70%.  Nope, looks like it's going to be very full if not sold out.  

I'm immunocompromised and was hoping for fewer passengers.  Guess I'll be spending a lot of time on my balcony.  I guess it's  good that is my favorite thing to do (besides eating).

If you have cruises coming up, especially this summer, I'd start planning on plenty of company.

You really can't determine it by the rooms listed on the website.  We returned the last week of January on the Valor.  John Heald announced that this particular cruise had about 1,500 passengers, which is just over 50% capacity.  You could certainly tell it as well.  However, I was on the booking website frequently in the weeks leading up to the cruise and like yours, there were times when there were hardly any balcony rooms available.  Obviously spring break will be a higher demand time, but it doesn't mean Carnival isn't somewhat limiting what is available to book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

You really can't determine it by the rooms listed on the website.  We returned the last week of January on the Valor.  John Heald announced that this particular cruise had about 1,500 passengers, which is just over 50% capacity.  You could certainly tell it as well.  However, I was on the booking website frequently in the weeks leading up to the cruise and like yours, there were times when there were hardly any balcony rooms available.  Obviously spring break will be a higher demand time, but it doesn't mean Carnival isn't somewhat limiting what is available to book.

I sure hope you are right.  I know Carnival doesn't want us to know either.  Maybe they are just keeping a few available so people looking will think it's about to sell out and book.  Who knows.   Someone else told me they just booked a balcony for an inside price this week and he didn't think Carnival would do that if they were about to sell out.  Guess I won't know for sure until I get there.  I know I'll have a good time.  First cruise back in two years.WooHoo.

• Like 3

I would be surprised if any ship is full/sold out, or even over 90% capacity with all the cancellations they've had. Mardi Gras will probably get the highest percentage of capacity. Waitlisting early dining means little as it is the most popular.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MOteacher said:

Stockholders are happy as well for a sold out cruise.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MOteacher said:

I agree - we have been on 4 cruises since cruising resumed and each one has had a higher capacity.  the first (which was literally the first time the ship had sailed in 15 months) was about 40% capacity. The most recent, about a week ago on the Breeze, we were at 65% - 70%.  Like you said, with spring break and summer vacation, I expect the ships to start filling up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I have expected the same for my 3/12 Magic cruise.

Yes, all the balconies on my cruise are currently showing sold out.  I know Carnival does things so no one knows how many, but to me sold out is sold out.  I can't figure out why it would be any different.  And I understand it probably won't be completely full, but I believe if all the balconies are full, most of the rest of the ship will be also.  

I was just really hoping for at least one of those no line/no chair hogs cruises in my life.  Although some have said even the lower capacity ships have seemed "full" to them.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 6:56 PM, MOteacher said:

I'm not sure that "sold out" means the same thing as "we are at 100% capacity."

Sold out simply means that they have no more cabins to offer on this cruise. It does not necessarily mean that every single cabin is full.

For example, let's say they have a ship that has 1000 cabins. They want to sail at 50% capacity. So once they have sold 500 cabins, they are going to be "sold out." Does that make sense? I don't know of any way that you can determine what the actual number of passengers is before getting on the ship and asking.

As others have pointed out, cruises are sailing at higher capacities but I don't think you can interpret this to mean that every bed is full. 

When I was on the Breeze in October, the reduced capacity was very noticeable. I'm going to be on her again next week, so it will be interesting to see how things have changed since then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

All those folks must have been a figment of my imagination. 😄

Our Dream cruise for NYE ‘21 felt pretty full as did our first cruise after the shutdown in October.  I was expecting a much smaller crowd on both, and there seemed to me to be just as many passengers as on our previous 25+ cruises pre-pandemic.   Tried to squeeze in/on a short cruise for spring break and there isn’t much availability out of our home post Galveston.  I really think cruising is back! 

• Like 1