Complimentary Gift from Princess for Anniversary or Birthday

sloopsailor

On our upcoming cruise my wife and I will be celebrating a 72nd birthday and a few days later a 38th wedding anniversary. According to the Celebrations section of our Onboard Activity Reservations page there is a "complimentary gift" notation for each event. What might this be?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

On our upcoming cruise my wife and I will be celebrating a 72nd birthday and a few days later a 38th wedding anniversary. According to the Celebrations section of our Onboard Activity Reservations page there is a "complimentary gift" notation for each event. What might this be?

Thanks!

It’s been my experience it’ll be a door sign & singing waiters with a small cake in the dining room.

• Like 3

So have the cards in the cabin.   There was nearly a burial at sea when they sang to my husband, unexpectedly.  I’m not sure he would have wasted the effort to kill me before the burial.   They use the Medallion app data to get the celebration date and it JUST HAPPENS.  They can FIND YOU. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

47 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

The door signs have gone the way of the Dodo bird

Had a birthday on our December cruise. Almost every time I walked by one of the public monitors around the ship I was wished a happy birthday.

Also, the tablet at my cabin door did wish me a happy birthday as well.

• Like 1

GAH! Hopefully they don't automagically sing for an anniversary. Our next cruise will include our 50th.

We used to get the card in the room for the birthday cake. The first time my wife turned it in. After that we didn't bother as we didn't need the extra cake. It used to be a very, very chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

• Like 2

No more cards.

31 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

So have the cards in the cabin.   There was nearly a burial at sea when they sang to my husband, unexpectedly.  I’m not sure he would have wasted the effort to kill me before the burial.   They use the Medallion app data to get the celebration date and it JUST HAPPENS.  They can FIND YOU. 

Lol

So we meet again!

Yes, I was horrified to be brought a cake I didn’t want. That it was accompanied by singing I didn’t want is truly regrettable.

The happy anniversary screens in the elevator bank were fun, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

If pre-cruise you do not tell Princess you are having a celebration, the app data is not there for anything to happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, and I expected it would work the Old Fashioned way - card in room, possible door decor.  I could hand over the card to the Headwaiter, request gâteau sans chanson, bonus dessert shows up, maybe with a candle. These are all good things. 

I just wasn’t prepared for the change.  

the only time DH has ever been ok with restaurant singing was the time the waiters came out holding helium balloons and sang on helium, with a pause midway to refill.  I don’t think either of us have ever laughed so hard in our lives (we are easily amused). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On the Enchanted last week, we saw a couple door signs - of a new design - for a birthday.  They had brightly-colored stripes, not the pastel ones with a nautical theme seen pre-pause.  The new ones had the Princess sea witch logo. 

• Like 1

We had our anniversary on the Majestic last week. My husband ordered some kind of package from Princess. Our room was decorated inside, and there as a beach towel and matching canvas bag for me. No idea how much it costed.

Because of the medallion, the crew will tell you happy anniversary, and the medallion boards next to the elevators will wish you a happy anniversary as well.

The little extras will slowly but surely come back.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

If pre-cruise you do not tell Princess you are having a celebration, the app data is not there for anything to happen.

Princess has everyone's birthday date . I didn't mention a special celebration but found a sign on the door in the morning and a birth cake towel creation on the bed later in the day even though towel animals were no longer being made.

OK. Granted that this was waaaay back in Jan/Feb of  2016.  We celebrated our belated 40th anniversary on board the Royal during a 10 nighter. We found a card in our standard balcony stateroom from Princess wishing us Happy Anniversary and an invite on them to specialty dining at either Sabatini's or Crown Grill. This may have been the result of speaking to a very helpful Princess customer service rep. who helped us with a couple rather minor booking problems. Who knows, but we chose Crown Grill. I highly doubt that they're doing things like this now considering the current state of the business. 

On 2/10/2022 at 7:41 PM, Kmkub said:

No more cards.

Lol

So we meet again!

Yes, I was horrified to be brought a cake I didn’t want. That it was accompanied by singing I didn’t want is truly regrettable.

The happy anniversary screens in the elevator bank were fun, though.

I am trying to understand this.  The waiters bring a cake to celebrate your anniversary and you are horrified.  They sing a happy anniversary song and it is truly regrettable.  What would it take to please you?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I am trying to understand this.  The waiters bring a cake to celebrate your anniversary and you are horrified.  They sing a happy anniversary song and it is truly regrettable.  What would it take to please you?

I smile every time I hear them sing "happy 'versary" to someone else...I tried to get them to do an 80th birthday anything for my sister on the Majestic & neither my TA, the CS person she talked to, nor the CS person on board managed to get anything to happen, even the wishes on the screens...

13 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

1. We were at Crown Grill, and I already had a dessert picked out.

2. I loathe surprises

3. I hate wasting food

4. I'm not a fan of cake

5. I abhor being the center of attention

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

2. I loathe surprises

3. I hate wasting food

4. I'm not a fan of cake

Apparently some people suffer more than others from these very serious first world problems. 😇

All kidding aside, I also do not like to be the center of attention. My fifteen minutes of fame were used up many, many years ago and I am perfectly happy to let others have their turn. 

With that in mind, I have removed the notation to Princess that I will be celebrating a birthday. Instead, we will secretly be celebrating the 51th anniversary of my 21st birthday so I can celebrate that day in the more calming "stealth" mode.  🎈

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, iamaqt2 said:

I received a note in my room to present it to the head waiter the night "I" wanted to celebrate.  Chose not to go that route and ordered myself 2 desserts instead. 😁😁

One cruise we didn't even make a note of DH's birthday. Got a card in our cabin, anyway. Didn't turn the card in...and still had the cake delivered to our table. We did manage to tell them "no singing".

18 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

2. I loathe surprises

3. I hate wasting food

4. I'm not a fan of cake

We gave our cake to our steward...asked her ahead of time if she would like to have it.

• Like 1