Requesting an upgrade on NCL

TTimmy58

26 minutes ago, CryptoTim said:

How does one go about requesting a cabin upgrade?

Like other cruise lines, NCL uses an automated bidding system. Currently a couple of months prior to your departure, you will receive an Upgrade Advantage email asking you if you want to bid. And when you log on to your NCL account, there will be a splash screen asking you to bid on upgrades.

If your bid is accepted, your credit card is charged and room is upgraded. It is a final transaction that you can not change.

image.thumb.png.48aa1cd4ad0e6959bcceb18b9ef80943.png

NOTE: that if you are booking through a travel agent, some of the big agencies have opted out of the upgrade program and any reservations made through them are ineligible for upgrade.

All bids are per person. All bids are charged as a double occupancy room regardless of the number of people in your original cabin (e.g., In the example below, I can bid on an upgrade from a balcony to a Haven Owner's Suite. A "poor" bid starts at $1600 per person (double occupancy) = a bid of $3200. An excellent bid starts $2820 pp = a bid of $5640. Maximum bid is $3100 pp = a bid of $6200. 

image.thumb.png.22eeed2f6dc67b0fa23a73d5ad714ccc.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CryptoTim said:

Thank you for the reply, I guess what I have been reading is some folks are receiving letters because they talk about bidding.

The problem with the bidding system is that you can't pick your cabin....and if you're unhappy with the assigned cabin you can't do anything about it.

If you're picky about the cabin you should keep your eye on the prices....they tend to go down as the saildate approaches.

Just to add a couple of things:

- You can bid on multiple cabin types but you can only 'win' one.  You cannot choose which one.

- You can adjust, add and delete your bids up to the time that they get processed.

This thread has a lot more information:

4 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Is there any harm asking for a paid upgrade at customer service on board? Or is it a hard no, all the time? (Company policy)

I think in the past it's been a hard no.  However I've seen posts lately that indicate it might be possible because there are plenty of rooms.  But I think they were quoted the going rate, so not a bargain.

1 hour ago, eileeshb said:

Also note if you’ve booked a studio cabin you’re not eligible for the upgrading bidding system, no idea why as if you’re a solo in any other grade of stateroom you are eligible. 

Because it's harder to back fill those. Like if they're running out of regular rooms they'll upgrade interior people and then put those cabins on sale. But with studios only one person can book it so a smaller group that could buy them. Sucks ass though. 

On 2/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, Karaboudjan said:

Just to add a couple of things:

- You can bid on multiple cabin types but you can only 'win' one.  You cannot choose which one.

- You can adjust, add and delete your bids up to the time that they get processed.

This thread has a lot more information:

How long does it take to get a reply after bidding?

Pre covid I won a bid once about 30 days out.  Low mid bid as I recall from balcony to Haven.  I think more often than not they come through inside a week.  But with the current testing in place you could get last minute cancelations which open availability to accept later bids.

I always bid but also keep an eye out for price drops.  But always be aware of what you are bidding on. Right now the price for me to just upgrade to the owners suite is less than the minimum  bid.  

9 hours ago, TTimmy58 said:

How long does it take to get a reply after bidding?

Haven bids are usually process on the week of cruise (Monday or Tuesday before departure). They can process bids up to 24 hours before departure. The latest upgrade we got was the Wednesday before a Saturday departure. 

Minisuites and below can be processed at any time. NCL sometimes processes upgrades to free up more “cheap rooms” to get more people booked. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 2/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, marktwothousand said:

Is there any harm asking for a paid upgrade at customer service on board? Or is it a hard no, all the time? (Company policy)

NCL does not accept any onboard upgrades or changes. There used to be a permanent sign “The Ship is Fully Booked and No Room Changes Can Be Accommodated”. Otherwise there would be thousands of people at guest services looking for something better. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not accept any onboard upgrades or changes. There used to be a permanent sign “The Ship is Fully Booked and No Room Changes Can Be Accommodated”. Otherwise there would be thousands of people at guest services looking for something better. 

This has pretty much always been the case, but several people have stated since the the return to sail that they have been able to once on board.  Presumably after leaving port.  Once no shows and denied board occured.

It has been awhile though since I have seen it.  But I had seen it before we sailed Breakaway in October.  

10 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

I got mine the week before we cruised, however, I’ve heard of people getting it like 2 days before sailing. You never know

Thanks I just need to be patient its only been about 3 days since I bid.

For the life of me I can't find it, but someone shared in the last year a link on the plusupgrade NCL site where you could enter your reservation number and it would tell you if you are eligible for the upgrade program and let you bid......does anyone have that URL?

13 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Thanks @worktocruise610 for sharing but that is your personal link so you may want to delete it (I wish we had personal messaging on this forum).  Apologies.  There is a URL that allows people to enter their number but I just haven't found it yet.

I think this is it https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/NCL/

• Like 1

That is it, dang I was making it up and got close, but you found it. Thanks so much @worktocruise610

It is very handy for bookmarking to check on eligibility or bids without having to dig up the NCL email.

If I were you, I would ping an admin to see if they can delete your post with your personal bid / reservation info for you.

29 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

That is it, dang I was making it up and got close, but you found it. Thanks so much @worktocruise610

It is very handy for bookmarking to check on eligibility or bids without having to dig up the NCL email.

If I were you, I would ping an admin to see if they can delete your post with your personal bid / reservation info for you.

Glad that one worked. Just make sure if you bookmark you don't pass along your personal link 🤣🤣 I did send them a message asking to delete, thanks, I wish they would let us do that 🙄 good luck with your bid and have a great cruise!

• Like 1

In addition to the other not ideal variables with getting the BOGO air....it really muds up trying to pay for upgrades as the packages aren't comparable (ex. it isn't like you can drop your airfare perk after final payment because the tickets are already purchased).