First time Regent cruiser (had to cancel our Crystal cruise, you know why...)- questions

the_dylaness

Hello,

On a whim last night I booked a Panama Canal cruise on the Seven Seas Grandeur for January 2024.  I'll be celebrating a milestone birthday, and for years have talked about wanting to do an eastbound Panama Canal cruise for said birthday- it was perfect.  Since the Regent website made it clear that even this far out rooms were getting a bit tight, I went ahead and within 30 minutes of finding the cruise, had a deposit down with my TA.

We have been on pretty tight "lockdown" for almost 2 years now, then just had to cancel our December 2022 Crystal sailing, and I needed something to look forward to.  (Still deciding whether to go on the Mediterranean cruise in June that you'll see in my signature.)

I have had the good fortune to have sailed everything from a "junior suite" (don't remember what it is called) on Crystal to (somewhat less good fortune) an inside on Carnival years ago as a student (never again even if it was free 😵) and many in between.  If we are going with our kids we often choose NCL Haven or Celebrity.  (Everyone says Celebrity isn't that great for families but I disagree- it is just "nice enough" that we have a good time, the kids club isn't too crowded, and we all seem to have a blast.)  We loved our experience on Silver Wind a few years ago, Crystal has always been great, and while we enjoyed Seabourn Legend many moons ago, it was a bit sleepy for our taste.  You won't find us shutting the bars down at 4am but we do like to have an adult beverage and enjoy some live music and a dance after dinner, and stay up later than at home.

Since it is a PC cruise, a sizable balcony was important to me.  None of the less expensive rooms with variable size balconies had the larger ones left, so we went with a Concierge guarantee.  We don't really need the night before hotel accommodations (we live in a large enough city that we can take the earliest direct flight to LA with plenty of time to spare- yes- I know it's risky- time change works in our favor) but will come in a day early since it's already apparently included.  

The available agent (last night) at the online TA I've been using for years didn't seem super knowledgeable about Regent, but insisted that for eastbound PC cruises, port side is absolutely desired.  What I've read briefly online seems to contradict this.  Thoughts?  Either way we have a GTY so I'm not sure it will matter, but I certainly wouldn't mind to save a couple thousand dollars to "downgrade" to the next level if a room with a larger balcony becomes available.

I don't have buyer's remorse and it was very exciting to make such a big decision on a moment's notice, but I'm realizing today that I feel a little unprepared for what to expect.  Doing some reading today, but just wondering...

Just did the Panama Canal on the  explorer San Diego to Miami. Love the splendor. I don’t think it’s going to make any difference whether you’re port or starboard as it depends on the locks. I’ve been through the canal multiple times, and I was on the starboard this time which was just fine.

We missed three ports on this trip because of Covid, but it was still a delightful trip. We had a very large balcony and really enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Hello,

On a whim last night I booked a Panama Canal cruise on the Seven Seas Grandeur for January 2024.  I'll be celebrating a milestone birthday, and for years have talked about wanting to do an eastbound Panama Canal cruise for said birthday- it was perfect.  Since the Regent website made it clear that even this far out rooms were getting a bit tight, I went ahead and within 30 minutes of finding the cruise, had a deposit down with my TA.

We have been on pretty tight "lockdown" for almost 2 years now, then just had to cancel our December 2022 Crystal sailing, and I needed something to look forward to.  (Still deciding whether to go on the Mediterranean cruise in June that you'll see in my signature.)

I have had the good fortune to have sailed everything from a "junior suite" (don't remember what it is called) on Crystal to (somewhat less good fortune) an inside on Carnival years ago as a student (never again even if it was free 😵) and many in between.  If we are going with our kids we often choose NCL Haven or Celebrity.  (Everyone says Celebrity isn't that great for families but I disagree- it is just "nice enough" that we have a good time, the kids club isn't too crowded, and we all seem to have a blast.)  We loved our experience on Silver Wind a few years ago, Crystal has always been great, and while we enjoyed Seabourn Legend many moons ago, it was a bit sleepy for our taste.  You won't find us shutting the bars down at 4am but we do like to have an adult beverage and enjoy some live music and a dance after dinner, and stay up later than at home.

Since it is a PC cruise, a sizable balcony was important to me.  None of the less expensive rooms with variable size balconies had the larger ones left, so we went with a Concierge guarantee.  We don't really need the night before hotel accommodations (we live in a large enough city that we can take the earliest direct flight to LA with plenty of time to spare- yes- I know it's risky- time change works in our favor) but will come in a day early since it's already apparently included.  

The available agent (last night) at the online TA I've been using for years didn't seem super knowledgeable about Regent, but insisted that for eastbound PC cruises, port side is absolutely desired.  What I've read briefly online seems to contradict this.  Thoughts?  Either way we have a GTY so I'm not sure it will matter, but I certainly wouldn't mind to save a couple thousand dollars to "downgrade" to the next level if a room with a larger balcony becomes available.

I don't have buyer's remorse and it was very exciting to make such a big decision on a moment's notice, but I'm realizing today that I feel a little unprepared for what to expect.  Doing some reading today, but just wondering...

Welcome, fellow Crystal refugee.

Here are the main differences between Concierge and Superior suites based on my limited research as a first-timer myself - the room size is the same:

- only a few Superior suites have full size balcony.  On your cruise, 745 is reduced balcony but 783 is full balcony.  783 is still available but is at the back of the ship.

- Concierge gets you free hotel + free breakfast, free hotel-to-ship transfer.  Check to see if the $1000/pp is worth it for that on your cruise.

- Most Concierge cabins except for the ones on the hump edge like 751 seem to have full balconies.

Edited by pnsnkr
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, pnsnkr said:

Welcome, fellow Crystal refugee.

Here are the main differences between Concierge and Superior suites based on my limited research as a first-timer myself

Fellow Crystal refugee here too….it’s a big club….

Some more differences between Concierge and Superior cabins 

- more free concurrent internet logins (we had it good on Crystal with a standard 4 per cabin) - standard in Superior is 1 device at a time - you can buy more though

- the ability to book shorex earlier as a Concierge class - this could mean the difference between getting a preferred shorex or not as Superior only opens up later 

- I’m not sure if that earlier booking date also applies to earlier date for dining reservations 

We've got 3 Regent cruises booked now and looked at the option of Concierge class but for us it didn’t seem justified as two of our cruises already have “free” pre cruise tours included so that negates the hotel room the night before and transfer to the ship - and for the third one we live in the embarkation city anyway so don’t need a bed. Regent did offer a modest credit (I think up to $200) if we opted not to take the 1 night accomodation but as the fare difference was over $1000 each we declined that option 

I have to say the Two class upgrade on offer to the end of Feb is very nice - along with the low deposit (don’t even mention the lost FCCs on Crystal) 

I'm more worried about other aspects of service and facilities we’ve grown used to on Crystal and whether they’ll be available on Regent eg service and personalisation and entertainment around the ship - I understand there’s no Avenue Saloon (piano bar) equivalent and that the night life tends to Peter out quite early by comparison. I think food will be more than ok. Having said that we’re prepared for change, and we’re certainly looking forward to the newer ship and the more spacious rooms on Explorer

• Like 5

Just a comment after ONE cruise on Regent:

--Don't expect Crystal's entertainment quality, you will be (extremely) disappointed

--Food is as good or better, both quality and service

--We are booked on 3 more Regent cruises and look forward to them, and hope entertainment quality will improve after "covid factor " gone

• Like 1

Another Crystal cruiser who has just booked a Regent cruise.  We loved Crystal but are looking forward to loving Regent Seven Seas.  We knew every square inch of the Symphony and Serenity.  It is time to explore unfamiliar ships.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your helpful insights.

@docmarkDo you mean the larger production type and theater options aren't as good, or the more "intimate" venue options, or both, or something else entirely?  We don't generally attend theater shows, but we do love to listen to live bands, singers, etc.  (We had the good fortune of accidentally booking a "Jazz Dagen" cruise on Serenity- what a pleasant surprise!)

@Stickman1990The 2 cat upgrade offer- how does that work? Do I need to ask my TA for this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_dylaness said:

@Stickman1990The 2 cat upgrade offer- how does that work? Do I need to ask my TA for this?

Yes - I’m pretty sure it’s a global promo running until the end of February - basically pay for one class and get the booking elevated teo levels (actually the sub levels within classes if that’s 2 classes) - so it’s rather nice to book say a top Superior and get a Concierge class and benefits instead 

Check with your TA or check this out @ https://www.rssc.com/specials/time-save-au

(that may go to the Aust site but it may revert to your local location - either way you’ll get the drift)

I don’t think it matters at all which side of the ship you are on for a PC cruise.  We spent some of the time on the balcony, but also a lot outside on the upper decks where you can go side to side quickly.

if you book a concierge or higher suite with included hotel and air, and you don’t need them, they will give you a credit for that.  We never use the included air and hotel, much preferring to do our own thing.  Depending on the cruise, the credit can be quite large.

I haven’t been on Crystal, but I have been on regent and Silversea a lot.  Nightlife on regent is better than Silversea imo.  If Kashia and Boogie are on your cruise, you are in for a treat.  He plays piano and she sings, and they keep the place rocking.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, docmark said:

--Don't expect Crystal's entertainment quality, you will be (extremely) disappointed

I could not disagree more.  I have found the quality of the entertainment on Regent to be at least as good as that on Crystal.

17 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

- I’m not sure if that earlier booking date also applies to earlier date for dining reservations 

It does.

I understand there’s no Avenue Saloon (piano bar) equivalent and that the night life tends to Peter out quite early by comparison.

Correct about there being no Avenue equivalent.  As to night life, that depends on a large extent on the passengers on any given cruise.  Sometimes you will sail with a decent amount of late night party folk, on others not so much.  Also, it may depend on who is performing in the lounges.  Kasia and Boogie have been mentioned previously, they tend to get a decent party going on their later sets, while some of the lounge performers are much more subdued.

There is also no equivalent venue to the Serenity's Pulse, but late night music is played in one of the lounges, the one named for the ship, after the last set of the combo that is playing there.  But as to whether or not anyone stays to dance depends on the passengers as mentioned above.  (At least this was true as of my last Regent cruise over 2 1/2 years ago😮)

Edited by boblerm

16 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

The 2 cat upgrade offer- how does that work? Do I need to ask my TA for this?

When you book a room, the price you are given will automatically be that of 2 categories lower.  But bear in mind that the upgrade maxes out at Penthouse A, that is, if you book anything above Penthouse A, you will not receive an upgrade price.

The best "bang for your buck" would be to book a Penthouse B or C, as that gives you the highest price differential on the upgrades.

And sadly, wcsdkqhis correct, the Grandeur voyages are not included in the promotion.😔

17 hours ago, pnsnkr said:

The 2-category upgrade is already reflected in the price listed under the 'Special Offer' column.

That said, the fine print doesn't seem to mention the Grandeur so not sure if those Voyages qualify.

Some of the nuances of the upgrade offer were discussed in these previous threads, which may be of interest:

I hope some of the Regent regulars stop by and provide some help to us all to maximise our Regent experience and get settled in

Welcome to those new to Regent, and sorry for your recent unfortunate experience with the demise of Crystal.

A few thoughts from our experience:

The Ships

• All the Regent ships are very good; sharing the same excellent level of efficient service & friendly hospitality from officers, staff & crew
  • Navigator: the smallest ship in the fleet;  basic suites are large, but the ship suffers vibration towards the stern so avoid aft suites if that bothers you; one speciality restaurant.
  • Voyager has similarly large basic suites; bathrooms are equipped with both a bathtub and separate shower; two speciality restaurants
  • Mariner has smaller basic suites and, IMO, it is worth upgrading to a Penthouse or Horizon suite. Most guests prefer the "shower-only" suites (marked with an asterisk on the deck plans); two speciality restaurants.
  • Explorer & Splendor: the newest ships in the fleet; IMO, D E & F grade suites offer the best value and are an excellent size & layout; three speciality restaurants. Grandeur will be similar when she enters service.

Other tips

• There is a lot of information buried in the Regent website FAQs, which are often overlooked
  • SuiteGuru (sticky at the top of this board) provides guest feedback on individual suites. As Splendor (and presumably Grandeur) is a clone of Explorer it is safe to use feedback from one for the other
  • A previous thread summarised Dining options for each of the Regent ships
  • Those making their first booking with Regent can take advantage of the Regent Ambassador offer
  • NCLH shareholders can apply to receive on board credit for each Regent cruise

Hope these random thoughts are of use, and that you find a Regent cruise that is to your liking 😎

• Like 5

---boblerm said:

"I could not disagree more.  I have found the quality of the entertainment on Regent to be at least as good as that on Crystal."

I am glad you feel that way, seeing you have not been on regent since Covid started, and I hope that entertainment quality IMPROVES once Covid over. When I mentioned the disappointing quality of entertainment to a very "Regent experienced" couple we met on board, they immediately replied that Covid has been a big factor affecting entertainment quality

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docmark said:

---boblerm said:

"I could not disagree more.  I have found the quality of the entertainment on Regent to be at least as good as that on Crystal."

I am glad you feel that way, seeing you have not been on regent since Covid started, and I hope that entertainment quality IMPROVES once Covid over. When I mentioned the disappointing quality of entertainment to a very "Regent experienced" couple we met on board, they immediately replied that Covid has been a big factor affecting entertainment quality

OK, fair enough.  I will let you know in a few weeks how I think Regent's current entertainment quality stacks up compared to pre-pandemic.

I've never done Crystal.  Welcome all, and I do hope that you enjoy Regent's product.  You will find piano bar-type entertainment in the evenings, swapping with some kind of small duo, a singer, etc. in the bars.  This is our favourite kind of entertainment.  There is also dancing at some venue most evenings.  The big shows at night I think are mediocre and garish, although sometimes there's a very good performer, and they do try awfully hard.  Evenings like the Liar's Club and Krew Kapers are often highlights.

I have heard so many people rave about the enrichment lectures on Crystal that I think your expectations perhaps should be low in this regard--we've had many fine, interesting lectures on Regent ships, but they do tend to seem to be weighted in favour of topics like contemporary politics and military history.  Your experience may vary.

The ships are smaller than Crystal.  The cabins bigger in most cases, all are very comfortable. 

If you decide you like Regent, you will progress through the ranks of the loyalty program and start receiving some modest perks.  The main one will be more wifi devices included. I don't personally book the Concierge level suites, for instance, since it really doesn't give me anything I want--I would rather take the credit for a one-night stay and book my own hotel.

I don't know the newer ships yet--hope to be on Splendor for the first time this July.  At the moment Mariner is our fave--smaller cabins, but wonderful public spaces.  Hope you enjoy your experiments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is all very insightful.

Some reading I've done (now I can't remember if it was this thread or elsewhere) suggested that Concierge booking might be a good idea for first time Regent sailors, so that we aren't bottom of the barrel for shore ex booking... the hotel is nice but not really a big deal for us either way, is this benefit of being higher up the shore ex choosing (and I guess dining?) ladder super important?

10 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Concierge booking might be a good idea for first time Regent sailors

It is certainly useful to gain the additional amenities including the 4 concurrent log-ins for WiFi/Internet connection

the hotel is nice but not really a big deal for us either way

You can take a credit for the pre-cruise hotel

is this benefit of being higher up the shore ex choosing (and I guess dining?) ladder super important?

Excursions: Depends on the itinerary and whether a specific excursion is very important for you. If an excursion is fully booked when your booking window opens you can usually "waitlist" and often the waitlist will clear before the cruise.

Dining: Depends on the ship, the length of the cruise (shorter cruises book up faster) and how flexible you are regarding dates & times for your reservations

• Like 1