The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

When we were on the Escape in April, my kids could order whatever drinks they wanted at the Haven restaurant, and it seemed like if you weren’t ordering alcohol, the Haven bartenders didn’t swipe cards, so they generally got sodas there too. 

• Like 2

So short answer is yes, NCL can charge. Longer answer is we cruised last month in the Haven with our teenage daughter and her friend. In the Haven they never charged them...but they where charged outside the Haven. Like other have said be prepared to be charged if not its a nice treat

• Like 2

I feel silly asking a question about the last day of the cruise when we haven't departed yet,  but I am setting up transportation from the ship to our hotel.

We are debarking in Southampton, but I am guessing this would be similar for most ports.  How does getting off the ship on the last day work from the Haven?

We are supposed to arrive around 6 am (!!!!) and I was thinking of telling the driver to meet us at 10 am.  If you have ever cruised into Southampton, that too optimistic?  I will post most of this question in the Southampton part of CC, but leaving from a suite or an area like the Haven is not like leaving from most of the ship

Edited by mconthehighseas

1 hour ago, mconthehighseas said:

I feel silly asking a question about the last day of the cruise when we haven't departed yet,  but I am setting up transportation from the ship to our hotel.

We are debarking in Southampton, but I am guessing this would be similar for most ports.  How does getting off the ship on the last day work from the Haven?

We are supposed to arrive around 6 am (!!!!) and I was thinking of telling the driver to meet us at 10 am.  If you have ever cruised into Southampton, that too optimistic?  I will post most of this question in the Southampton part of CC, but leaving from a suite or an area like the Haven is not like leaving from most of the ship

You were in the Haven so you will be taken down via the service elevator on your last morning. I probably would tell your driver to meet you at 9 o’clock. You might even have to wait for me for 45 minutes. It makes all the difference in the world going down that service elevator. 

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You were in the Haven so you will be taken down via the service elevator on your last morning. I probably would tell your driver to meet you at 9 o’clock. You might even have to wait for me for 45 minutes. It makes all the difference in the world going down that service elevator. 

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

Thank you so much!  You should really work for the cruiseline; this thread is SO helpful.
Just one more question: Will we get to exit with our luggage, or will we have to play human billiards with the rest of the guests to find our bags?  

Edited by mconthehighseas

1 hour ago, mconthehighseas said:

Thank you so much!  You should really work for the cruiseline; this thread is SO helpful.
Just one more question: Will we get to exit with our luggage, or will we have to play human billiards with the rest of the guests to find our bags?  

Your choice!  If you take your own bags, you’ll get off quicker, but you’ll have to wrangle them yourself.  And be mindful the hallways will be filled with cleaning carts, piles of dirty linens, etc. We never take our own bags because of this, but many many people do, AND if you take your own bags, you’ll be way ahead of the masses.  Your decision. Enjoy!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trivan said:

For those who traveled with people under 21.  I'll be on the Joy, 2 bedroom Haven room. 

The NCL free at sea packages hurt my head trying to figure out whats included and not.

Our kids aren't big soda drinkers, but if they wanted a soda/juice during a meal in the Haven restaurant would that be an extra charge since they don't have a drink package?  

No, they won't be charged in the Haven restaurant. 

11 hours ago, Trivan said:

Would they be able to go to the Haven bar and ask for a soda?   

Sorry for the noob question 🙂 

Technically, they could be charged. 

Realistically, they probably won't be charged. 

The Haven bartenders usually let things slide (even virgin drinks) for kids but be prepared to be charged if the kids don't have any package. 

Outside of the Haven, the kids will probably be treated like everyone else. However, bartenders can give a kid a drink if the bar isn't really busy (tip accordingly). 😉

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You could look into the soda package for the kids. I think (might be mistaken) that everyone in the room must have a package. Again, might be wrong on that and someone will alert us to this

For the soda package (when purchased), there isn't a requirement for others to have a package. One kid could have while the other doesn't. 

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If I'm right, then you've alreayd paid the gratuities so could find it on your invoice.

The "under 21" guests aren't charged the Free At Sea service charge unless one of them is guest #2. If not #2, they don't get anything (PBP/Soda package/SDP) and aren't charged anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 4/14/2023 at 11:09 AM, UKstages said:

irrespective of which drink package you have, the butler is not a personal assistant. the butler should not be expected to fetch things for you and bring them to far flung locations around the ship. (yes, even if what you're asking for is food or beverage.)

"ah, but he brings me the chocolate cake i like from cagney's... what's the difference?"

the difference is that the butler serves haven guests, and generally provides that service in the haven. while it's true he or she can get you your favorite dessert and bring it to you in the haven as part of a meal service or a separate treat, and while it's true he can pick up your leftover dessert from your specialty dining restaurant and deliver it to your room (it's actually simpler to just take it yourself in a doggy bag)... it's not really his job to do things for you around the ship. also, the butler serves many other guests, not just you. it's incredibly inefficient to run all over the ship like a messenger delivering legal documents.

your mileage may vary; you may develop a special relationship with your butler and he or she may go to the ends of the earth for you... or at least to deck 8. but that should not be an expectation. and any food or beverage that the butler brings you is subject to the same limitations as your food and beverage packages. some butlers will indeed bend the rules.

but that handy tiny phone is really to contact the butler to tell him or her that you'd like room service or that you'd like to arrange a formal dining service in your room or, perhaps, in another part of the haven complex using the haven restaurant menu or that you've run out of earl grey tea or you can use that handy phone to call your concierge to ask assistance with an excursion or a reservation.

it's not to request that the butler fetch you your slippers. (unless your butler is  eliza doolitle.) and it's not to have them bring you a magnum of louis XIII cognac to your hot tub on the pool deck. (they have others who will in fact provide drink service in most areas of the ship; charges may apply, especially for louis XIII). and it's not to have them bring you an almond croissant in the thermal spa.

anyway, if you're in the cigar lounge, why would you need your butler to bring you a drink? i've never been in there, but i do believe there is a bar or two just a few steps away. you're never that far away from a bar no matter which public deck you are on... on any ship! that would be a lot quicker than having your butler bring you a drink. and when the cigar lounge is occupied, there may even be a server who goes in there to take drink orders, i don't know. if there is a special drink that you can only get in the haven, then get one before you leave and try not to spill any in the few minutes it takes you to travel to the cigar lounge.

your butler provides service, which is quite different than being under servitude.

If you call your butler to bring you a drink in the cigar lounge you have to be the laziest person alive!  There's a bar right there!

Elvis

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

If you call your butler to bring you a drink in the cigar lounge you have to be the laziest person alive!  There's a bar right there!

Elvis

Well my apologies, but the bar next to it don't always have the drink you want available, more than half of the menu if you can even call that a menu is not available from the bar outside of the cigar lounge in the prima when I was on the prima, hence why I asked. I didn't really ask to be insulted for what I think is legitimate question, but you must have been the guy who are better than everyone so I guess I appreciate your response after all me being the laziest person alive for wanting to have a good drink while smoking a cigar and can't leave because my cigar is still burning is just so wrong! My apologies for not want to leave my pricey cigar on the table just to walk across the ship and go grab a drink.

15 minutes ago, Mugennosora said:

Well my apologies, but the bar next to it don't always have the drink you want available, more than half of the menu if you can even call that a menu is not available from the bar outside of the cigar lounge in the prima when I was on the prima, hence why I asked. I didn't really ask to be insulted for what I think is legitimate question, but you must have been the guy who are better than everyone so I guess I appreciate your response after all me being the laziest person alive for wanting to have a good drink while smoking a cigar and can't leave because my cigar is still burning is just so wrong! My apologies for not want to leave my pricey cigar on the table just to walk across the ship and go grab a drink.

If you frequent the cigar lounge, why can't you just tip the bartender and ask him/her to stock your favorite beverage there?  

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If you frequent the cigar lounge, why can't you just tip the bartender and ask him/her to stock your favorite beverage there?  

I asked if there is anyway to get different drink, the guy although nice, politely said different bar is done differently, I tipped the guy good amount when I am there and he's always nice and attentive, but selection is a problem at times.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mugennosora said:

@Mugennosora Cooler heads will prevail.  Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Sthrngary.  I am the author of this stream and other focusing on the Premium Plus Beverage Package and the Haven in General. I am also a cigar smoker and have used every cigar lounge on every ship I have ever sailed regardless of the brand.  

Sometime the written word does not allow us to know the intent of the writer.  Allow me to clarify and if you have ever read my posts, I can be a bit wordy with terrible spelling and grammar. My goal in this response is to create "Realistic Expectations" for all that read it.

1. Can a Butler as part of their job bring you things in certain parts of the ship?  The answer is yes however it is very nice if you clear that with them when you met them on day one.  
  2. Can a Butler as part of their job bring you food while lets say you are on the Sundeck? The answer is yes and again confirm this with them on day one.
  3. Can a Butler as part of their job bring you and adult beverage in the cigar lounge?  The answer is sometimes.  This one is tough because it is against NCL policy for the butler to provide drinks without charging your room as if it is room service.  HOWEVER, Have I had it done it. YES.  I asked my butler on day one how he could do it for me and he said he could do it from time to time.  Is it guarantied, NO.  It is the way you ask and asking upfront.  

This is why, when I cruise with NCL, In the Haven I do a Butler Letter with their tip in it on day one.  I have had folks hate the idea and love the idea.  I really don't care.  Since doing it, I get almost anything I want.  Before, my butlers were hit or miss.  

Now for the real deal.  When you go on other brands that are Luxury or Ultra-Luxury brands, they have different rules.  Those butlers would do all we ask and some.  They would do things you never even ask.  They, in my mind were true butlers.  They had less Staterooms and were paid more upfront as part of our fare.  That is the truth of the Butler situation.

The way to get way we want is simply a matter of professional and kind communications.  That is the general rule to get almost anything you want.  Many folks think using a butler is one way or another.  It is best to read up on it as I did with my first butler.  True they are not our personal servant however a hamburger and drink seems reasonable in my humble opinion. Hope all that makes sense.

Cruise well, Smoke a good Cigar, and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

@Daniel A Hello, I grew up in Huntington, NY.  NCL as nice as they can be, have some strict rules which they can break on occasion.  Not often though.  Example, the Sugar Cane was near the Cigar Lounge on the Joy.  Not my bar and does not have my brands.  The joy of a great cigar is a great cocktail  with it.  I usually have the Premium Plus Beverage Package so I want the good stuff.  

If my Butler was ok with it on day one, I would call.  More often, i would go to one of the better bars and get a double then bring it with me.  Now if I was on another brand which is Luxury or Ultra-Luxury, they would be all over me and get me anything I wanted.  This is the difference with cruising on a Mainstream brand NCL or a Luxury/Ultra-Luxury brand.  Easy fix either way.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

@Sthrngary

41 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Mugennosora Cooler heads will prevail.  Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Sthrngary.  I am the author of this stream and other focusing on the Premium Plus Beverage Package and the Haven in General. I am also a cigar smoker and have used every cigar lounge on every ship I have ever sailed regardless of the brand.  

Sometime the written word does not allow us to know the intent of the writer.  Allow me to clarify and if you have ever read my posts, I can be a bit wordy with terrible spelling and grammar. My goal in this response is to create "Realistic Expectations" for all that read it.

1. Can a Butler as part of their job bring you things in certain parts of the ship?  The answer is yes however it is very nice if you clear that with them when you met them on day one.  
  2. Can a Butler as part of their job bring you food while lets say you are on the Sundeck? The answer is yes and again confirm this with them on day one.
  3. Can a Butler as part of their job bring you and adult beverage in the cigar lounge?  The answer is sometimes.  This one is tough because it is against NCL policy for the butler to provide drinks without charging your room as if it is room service.  HOWEVER, Have I had it done it. YES.  I asked my butler on day one how he could do it for me and he said he could do it from time to time.  Is it guarantied, NO.  It is the way you ask and asking upfront.  

This is why, when I cruise with NCL, In the Haven I do a Butler Letter with their tip in it on day one.  I have had folks hate the idea and love the idea.  I really don't care.  Since doing it, I get almost anything I want.  Before, my butlers were hit or miss.  

Now for the real deal.  When you go on other brands that are Luxury or Ultra-Luxury brands, they have different rules.  Those butlers would do all we ask and some.  They would do things you never even ask.  They, in my mind were true butlers.  They had less Staterooms and were paid more upfront as part of our fare.  That is the truth of the Butler situation.

The way to get way we want is simply a matter of professional and kind communications.  That is the general rule to get almost anything you want.  Many folks think using a butler is one way or another.  It is best to read up on it as I did with my first butler.  True they are not our personal servant however a hamburger and drink seems reasonable in my humble opinion. Hope all that makes sense.

Cruise well, Smoke a good Cigar, and enjoy every moment. 

Thanks @Sthrngary you have responded to my before my response was more for @Elvis1209 I feel his comment was uncalled for to just assume people are lazy when they just simply want to see if that is an convenience they can apply. I mean honestly if they will do it, I am happy to splurge extra tip for the trip they had to make across the ship and have them charge me for the drink because if I can get better drink and have to pay for it to go with a Davidoff pro blanco, it's worth it to me, I am on vacation I don't want to waste my time walking across when I can pay someone to do so while I enjoy each and every minute of my valuable time. Especially when my cigar is burning, I am having a great conversation and my bourbon is seeing bottom.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mugennosora said:

Dude, I didn't try to insult you!  I was making a joke!  Lighten up and have a cigar!

Elvis

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LrgPizza said:

I have a question for all you Haven folks… I’ve heard people say you can drop bags off as soon as you board in your Haven suite. What if the suite is not located in the Haven proper?

Our suite was one of the HI suites on deck fifteen.  We boarded the ship just before 1100.  After about an hour in the Haven Lounge, we dropped our carry-on in our suite without problem.  We could have done it sooner, but we were enjoying the libations in the Haven Lounge.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

I have a question for all you Haven folks… I’ve heard people say you can drop bags off as soon as you board in your Haven suite. What if the suite is not located in the Haven proper?

We were in an aft Haven Penthouse.  All the doors to all the cabins were closed.  We couldn't go to our cabins  until maybe two.

• Like 1

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and plan on using some tips I've read here on our upcoming Haven cruise this coming July.  From what I've read, only two U.S. electrical outlets are in the Haven suite, so I plan to bring some non-surge protector power strips with me.  Do you think I could ask the butler for these?  Thanks    

15 minutes ago, Branbay said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and plan on using some tips I've read here on our upcoming Haven cruise this coming July.  From what I've read, only two U.S. electrical outlets are in the Haven suite, so I plan to bring some non-surge protector power strips with me.  Do you think I could ask the butler for these?  Thanks    

@Branbay I have an idea for you.  I use a Cpap.  They bring me a power strip and special water for my Cpap.  Another idea is what I do also.  I bring a round power strip that also has USB on it (Purchased on Amazon).  I plug it in and have never gotten any push back.

Remember, when you lights are off, the power in the suite also goes off.  This is how they save electricity when you are not in the room.  I have been on ships where they have card in the front that keeps the power on and also when only your key card when you are in your room will keep the power on.  Just an FYI.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.