Embarkation Day: Board Early or Later?

DC225

13 hours ago, basor said:

Even when the cruise was near full capacity, we have never had to "LUG' our carry-ons for hours....we head up to WAVES or Terrace, put our carry-ons in a spot out of everyone's way and enjoy a nice leisurely lunch and when our cabin is ready we head down,....

5 hours ago, ToxM said:

There’s plenty of space in Waves to not get under anyone’s feet with luggage. 

In practice this means either:1. You get a table at one of the restaurants and effectively camp out until your cabin is ready, thus blocking the use of the table by others, or (2) you lug your carry on into the restaurant and then when finished eating you pick up and lug it elsewhere looking for a place to store both it and you.

Whatever you like, your cruise. Just saying some of us choose a different option.

• Like 1

I prefer the term sedately roll as I have a rather spiffy B&R that transports my cpap and a few other bits and pieces. It’s really not a problem and the distance from Waves to the pool bar is minimal.  I will try not to get dehydrated during this mammoth trek. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I prefer the term sedately roll as I have a rather spiffy B&R that transports my cpap and a few other bits and pieces. It’s really not a problem and the distance from Waves to the pool bar is minimal.  I will try not to get dehydrated during this mammoth trek. 

We second that and find with a strategic placement of our carry-ons ,  we can enjoy lunch at Waves and move to the pool area with no "sedately rolling" required!

• Thanks 1

My vote is to go late...   I do not need to get in one more meal .The next week(s)  there will be enough...  more than enough food experience.   Second, getting on later with no lines, no waiting for the cabin, .. and a general relaxed start to  the enjoyment ahead.    Fighting for a seat, amid a willing mass   some frenzied folks , some more confused  than most.    Hit the cabin and take a rest.  Pour your self a drink... un pack, settle in for the evenings dinner and go late to that too..... ( as Pinotlover has suggested prior)

Thats my reason to go late....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

It’s really not a problem and the distance from Waves to the pool bar is minimal.  I will try not to get dehydrated during this mammoth trek. 

I'm sure an hour at the pool bar will enable you to recover from this effort.🥂

On another matter.

Whilst not applicable to the OP's cruise, another factor is what type of cruise someone is joining.

If it is a multi segment cruise where the large majority of the passengers will be ashore, there will likely be very few joining passengers.

If someone arrives early it is  possible to board without much delay, and also possible your cabin will already be ready.

Having a bite to eat will be easy on an almost empty ship.

Of course it is all personal preference on what port you're in and whether you prefer the ship or the port for those few hours. Plus the weather may factor into your decision on the day as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe the solution is to buy new carryons with wheels.  No lugging required.  😉

My first rule of travel luggage is that all luggage must roll or attach to something that rolls. Over the years I've pretty well perfected it to what works for us. I'm partial to Briggs & Riley and Rimowa. 

As far as the rest of the discussion goes, Tranquility has it right above. There is no right and there is no wrong way, there's only personal preference. No one's way is better or smarter, although some might think it is. The only real rule is that if Oceania has given you an assigned boarding time then don't go before it. I do notice that even in these uncertain times some people still have trouble following this one. 

I have frequently seen on the first day, in The Terrace, an area by the entrances set up to leave your carry ons while you eat. This greatly reduces the confusion around the tables. Just like they do in the restaurants on disembarkation day. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

In practice this means either:1. You get a table at one of the restaurants and effectively camp out until your cabin is ready, thus blocking the use of the table by others, or (2) you lug your carry on into the restaurant and then when finished eating you pick up and lug it elsewhere looking for a place to store both it and you.

Whatever you like, your cruise. Just saying some of us choose a different option.

Why bother adding your last sentence. It does eliminate the very aggressive prior statement which clearly conveys your feelings on the matter and that anyone who feels differently is somehow damaged. I personally prefer to be among the earliest to board. That's when vacation begins. We often get a drink, sit in an out of the way place, and play cards if we have to wait. Carry-on just sits there near my feet and doesn't even wine about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

My vote is to go late...   I do not need to get in one more meal .The next week(s)  there will be enough...  more than enough food experience.   Second, getting on later with no lines, no waiting for the cabin, .. and a general relaxed start to  the enjoyment ahead.    Fighting for a seat, amid a willing mass   some frenzied folks , some more confused  than most.    Hit the cabin and take a rest.  Pour your self a drink... un pack, settle in for the evenings dinner and go late to that too..... ( as Pinotlover has suggested prior)

Thats my reason to go late....

I love your idea of having a drink before unpacking. Unfortunately my OCD requires me to unpack as soon as I get in the room. I can't shake the feeling that the holiday doesn't really start until I make the cabin mine by filling up the closet. 

A good therapist might be required.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I love your idea of having a drink before unpacking. Unfortunately my OCD requires me to unpack as soon as I get in the room. I can't shake the feeling that the holiday doesn't really start until I make the cabin mine by filling up the closet. 

A good therapist might be required.

Don't forget you can do both - bring onboard your favorite drink, go to your cabin, pour yourself a large glass full, toast your partner and unpack with a glass in hand 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, basor said:

Don't forget you can do both - bring onboard your favorite drink, go to your cabin, pour yourself a large glass full, toast your partner and unpack with a glass in hand 🙂

Usually what we do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

My first rule of travel luggage is that all luggage must roll or attach to something that rolls. Over the years I've pretty well perfected it to what works for us.

I am with you

I have a 26" AWD  for each of us  & a carry  on sits on top of it  until we check the big bag then the carry on rolls along with us  😉

If stuff does not fit in the big bag it stays home

We have a systems that works for us

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

Usually what we do. 

Have to explain this to me. Last time aboard, in 2019, they were evicting passengers from their cabins if they entered before they were released. We came aboard aboard at around 2:45 and passengers were “ complaining “ furiously because they didn’t have access to their cabins yet. I believe it was 1:30 or so before Concierge cabins had access. So when did you board and then enjoy those drinks in your cabin?

I’ll move on. It’s all personal choice. Cruisers versus travelers. I’ve seen people show up in multiple ports at 7:00 waiting to board, that’s up to 2 hours before mandatory disembarkment from the previous cruise. Witnessed people leave hotels prior to 9:00 for a 15 minute cab ride to get in line to board early.  Whatever rings you bell. Your vacation your money. Enjoy🥂🥂🥂

Edited by pinotlover

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Have to explain this to me. Last time aboard, in 2019, they were evicting passengers from their cabins if they entered before they were released. We came aboard aboard at around 2:45 and passengers were “ complaining “ furiously because they didn’t have access to their cabins yet. I believe it was 1:30 or so before Concierge cabins had access. So when did you board and then enjoy those drinks in your cabin?

I’ll move on. It’s all personal choice. Cruisers versus travelers. I’ve seen people show up in multiple ports at 7:00 waiting to board, that’s up to 2 hours before mandatory disembarkment from the previous cruise. Witnessed people leave hotels prior to 9:00 for a 15 minute cab ride to get in line to board early.  Whatever rings you bell. Your vacation your money. Enjoy🥂🥂🥂

Seems you completely misunderstood. Let me explain further, ONCE the room is released and open, we then go in and unpack, while having a drink from a bottle we brought with us. I also kick off a cruise playlist with a mini Bose speaker to add to the festivities. Usually the room is released in time for us to get unpacked and settled by the time of muster drill. But I think the muster drill is done completely different now. Fortunately some of the new tricks us all dogs have to learn sound ok. 

As you said, different things works for different people. I've seen people post here(CC) that they operate out of their suitcases the whole cruise and never unpack. Whatever works for them. 

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Your 2019 experience is totally irrelevant today. Everything has changed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

My concern with late arrival is restaurant reservations.  That’s one of the first things we do.  We travel in steerage do have low priority in pre booking.

You don't do them online as soon as they're available? Are the options going to be any better doing it in person on embarkation day? Is there some secret to getting better times doing it this way? I've always done it on line. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

You don't do them online as soon as they're available? Are the options going to be any better doing it in person on embarkation day? Is there some secret to getting better times doing it this way? I've always done it on line. 

We are only allowed two reservations and we don't get access to book until all the suites have booked.  We find we often can only book odd times, early or late.  Once onboard they have a table setup that you can usually change your time and add additional booking.

• Like 1

When we travel in March we will be on Siren’a restart cruise (covid willing). As the cabins should be ready straight away I might even sneak up to my cabin and drop my carryon outside - if someone wants to steal my cpap machine and the very niche books I am bringing they are welcome to them at that point. My tote will carry anything else I need like wallet etc. that’s not a problem to carry for a couple of hours if that is even needed. 

In April when I take my mum on Marina (10 days after I get back from Sirena!!) I will definitely be dropping our carry ons at the cabin as mum is in a wheelchair and without assistance there’s no way we can move about without dropping some stuff. As we are in an accessible, I am hoping this will be ok, otherwise, once again I will drop outside the cabin and take a guess that my cpap and mum’s stoma equip,ent and medication won’t be of use to anyone except a pharmacy that needs a refill.

25 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We are only allowed two reservations and we don't get access to book until all the suites have booked.  We find we often can only book odd times, early or late.  Once onboard they have a table setup that you can usually change your time and add additional booking.

Yes, I know all that, but are you saying that you can improve your times by talking to them in person on boarding day? It's always been my impression that they are there for people that aren't familiar with using the internet and want to do their booking in person. As far as adding extras, I have asked on boarding day(for that night) and have been told to check with the Maitre D at whatever specific venue we're interested in after 5:30

Just now, ORV said:

Yes, I know all that, but are you saying that you can improve your times by talking to them in person on boarding day? It's always been my impression that they are there for people that aren't familiar with using the internet and want to do their booking in person. As far as adding extras, I have asked on boarding day(for that night) and have been told to check with the Maitre D at whatever specific venue we're interested in after 5:30

Understand we have only been on a couple of O cruises but yes, we have been able to improve our times in person on boarding day.  Not necessarily every booking but always at least one plus we have been able to add additional bookings. I don't think we have ever added or changed a booking that was for the embarkation day.

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Understand we have only been on a couple of O cruises but yes, we have been able to improve our times in person on boarding day.  Not necessarily every booking but always at least one plus we have been able to add additional bookings. I don't think we have ever added or changed a booking that was for the embarkation day.

It has been our experience that a lot of people don't want to go to the specialty on embarkation day, for various reasons, and odds are good to get an extra reservation on that night. Other than that I usually don't try to change what we've already set up. We usually try to dine early and generally get it, but frequently by sharing, which we're ok with. 

Just now, ORV said:

It has been our experience that a lot of people don't want to go to the specialty on embarkation day, for various reasons, and odds are good to get an extra reservation on that night. Other than that I usually don't try to change what we've already set up. We usually try to dine early and generally get it, but frequently by sharing, which we're ok with. 

Makes sense on embarkation day.

22 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Kirk...i Understand your zeal in  trying to get  first into the foray.   Since your coming from experiences on " other Lines"  you may have learned you  got to fight the masses       Not needed on O.   Relax..     It has been my experience on cruises  10  , with O that only cruises of 10 days or less  require  advanced planning and some luck.   

However,  I think  time will teach you to break the mass market mombo  to get in line.     In 14+ day cruises   your going to discover that , if your flexible and willing to share,  there are numerous opportunities that will open up daily. 

People change their reservation and cancel all the time.    Too, when the sea gets the slightest bit  choppy there is a fair number of no shows and cancels that your can even get as a walk up.  You really don't need to hit the reservations the first day  or hour.    Many that do feeling  all tense about having to get their reservations for a week in advance  will  be canceling for all sorts of reasons they never imagined .     

So, Kirk   relax  it will all be good...  You don't have to get every day planned  in the cruise     Take it day by day.

• Thanks 1