Regent Dress Code

sabrefan

58 minutes ago, lmsguy said:

So it seems that blue denim "jeans" are what is not acceptable.  So we have black "jeans" that I think look more dressy than a pair of khakis.  So do you think I will be turned away from the restaurant in the evening?  Also I was told a polo type shirt in the evening is acceptable, I guess since it has a collar.  To me they are a dressy form of a T-shirt! Ha!

I don't own any, but I wouldn't hesitate to wear black jeans, as long as they're neat and presentable. Polos in the evening are fine as well. 

But then again, I'd also use the provided Bluetooth speaker in the suite, so there's that....  :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 8:41 AM, Stefken said:

I have had so many lovely positive comments made on my clothes, I wonder why so many passengers don’t want to dress up.

I care not about compliments I get for the "nice" things I've purchased.  Just seems a bit odd to me.  If they compliment me on my appearance, and it's because of how I keep my body in shape that's different to me - I didn't get the compliment by spending money. 

I also care not what someone eating in the same room looks like, the person or their clothes.  I may be in the minority, but I really do not care about these things.

I wonder why so many passengers seem to care so much about the clothing of strangers.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mwike said:

I care not about compliments I get for the "nice" things I've purchased.  Just seems a bit odd to me.  If they compliment me on my appearance, and it's because of how I keep my body in shape that's different to me - I didn't get the compliment by spending money. 

I also care not what someone eating in the same room looks like, the person or their clothes.  I may be in the minority, but I really do not care about these things.

I wonder why so many passengers seem to care so much about the clothing of strangers.

IKR? I don't dress to impress the kind of person who'd require me to dress a certain way. Indeed, I make a point to avoid meaningful interaction with people like that as much as possible. I dress for comfort, with respect to the venue where I am. 

"What you think of me is none of my business."

- Eleanor Roosevelt

• Like 5

Being from West Virginia I have thought about wearing the "national costume", blue denim overalls (no holes, no stains, and unfaded) and a bright plaid collared shirt.  I have not done this yet, but it would be in recognition of my heritage. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mwike said:

For goodness sake lighten up.

So sorry I offended you, by saying I got compliments. I’ll think twice about putting anything on CC in future. 

Mea culpa

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stefken said:

For goodness sake lighten up.

So sorry I offended you, by saying I got compliments. I’ll think twice about putting anything on CC in future. 

Mea culpa

I'm not offended whatsoever.  I didn't post to insult you - just stating a difference of opinion.  

You stated that you wish Regent had more formal nights.  And I'm assuming you like the formal nights because:  1) you get compliments for you clothes or 2) you feel dining with people not dressed in formal attire lessons your dining experience or 3) a combination of both.

I'm simply stating my opinion (and likely that of others) that I do feel the attire of strangers in the dining room lessons my dining experience and that compliments from strangers on my attire is completely irrelevant to me. 

• Like 2

Everyone should dress as they see fit. That being said I enjoy having my wife dress up because I know she appreciates clothing g and I more than appreciate her. I will wear a tuxedo just to bask in her presence and mirror her beauty

just my two cente

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, mwike said:

I'm a pretty relaxed guy mwike but I wonder why its such a big deal to put on a decent pair of pants and shirt.

Currently this is Regents Dress Code from the website

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen." 

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

Maybe the reason those of us that willingly adhere to Regent’s dress code do so is: (pick as many as you like)

We enjoy looking our best

We like to complement our wives good looks and nice outfits 

We think of cruises as special events and like to dress accordingly

Its nice to be in the company of others that look nice as well 

We generally don’t look at rules as something to try to stretch or break just because we can

It really doesn’t take much effort

We can dress sloppily at home

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

It really doesn’t take much effort

We can dress sloppily at home

I was curious about Regent dress code and have been pleased to read the descriptions of standards and also photos from current reports have shown people dressing Elegant Casual. Seabourn made the mistake of allowing "elegant" jeans in the dining room without clarifying what they consider elegant. No one is wearing ripped jeans but faded, baggy jeans is more often the norm and impossible for staff to push back against because the owner says they think they are elegant.

Last night I was talking with my husband about an upcoming Seabourn Expedition cruise and though the norm is casual. I will still take some elegant casual to wear in the evening. I dress casual at home most of the time and like to wear some nicer things to a restaurant meal. It adds to making our holiday special.

Edited by frantic36

My two cents.... "why do people care what other people wear?"  Doesn't matter.

When we book Regent we pay to have a total experience.  Part of that is the decorum around the ship. The "promised" experience and decorum includes the dress code. The Dress Code is very  specific for both day and night If you don't want to follow the dress code, find a cruise line that is more in sync with your desired vacation experience.  That's it.  Doesn't matter why I care or even IF I care, what matters is it's Regent's ship and as such it's their right to make whatever rules they want.  When you agree to cruise with them you agree to abide by the rules.  So be an adult and abide by the rules. Not that hard folks. 😏 

• Like 10

Conform to the dress code and I don’t care if it’s fancy or basic. I will not judge a person based on the clothes they wear. Personally, I don’t want to wear a suit or tux on a cruise.

• Like 4

We avoided Seabourn a few decades ago because their promotional material featured male passengers in jackets and ascots playing shuffleboard in broad daylight. Not for us. Now that we're starting to "age into the demographic," I'd still want to avoid scenarios like that by choosing a different line. Indeed, Seabourn has relaxed its policies in the meantime. 

• Like 1

We are on the Splendor right now.   It is freezing inside the ship so the only way to be comfortable at dinner is to wear a sweater or a sports coat.   The only sweaters left in the store are “small” or “xxlarge” so you will not find one to purchase on the ship.   Pack something warm to wear.

• Like 1

Goodness me, I wish I could delete my post. 

Lesson learned, quit cruise critic. A shame as I’ve met loads of lovely people on board through being on CC. Pre cruise and post. Now I’ll wait until I board to meet like minded people 

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷over and out  

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

When we book Regent we pay to have a total experience.  Part of that is the decorum around the ship. The "promised" experience and decorum includes the dress code. The Dress Code is very  specific for both day and night If you don't want to follow the dress code, find a cruise line that is more in sync with your desired vacation experience.  That's it.  Doesn't matter why I care or even IF I care, what matters is it's Regent's ship and as such it's their right to make whatever rules they want.  When you agree to cruise with them you agree to abide by the rules.  So be an adult and abide by the rules. Not that hard folks. 😏 

Amen!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 9:41 AM, Stefken said:

We will be boarding Grandeur 20th May. I will be dressing up every night, long evening dresses included I don’t want to wear on a cruise the same clothes I wear day to day at home. So it’s all my very best dresses and accessories. May be just me, but it’s part of the holiday for me, and my husband. I have had so many lovely positive comments made on my clothes, I wonder why so many passengers don’t want to dress up.

i wish Regent would go back to a more formal dress code, of an evening.We did a cruise on P & O in the Mediterranean and it was lovely to see everyone dressed up on the Captains night, even young girls in prom dresses. 

Why Regent have relaxed dress code defeats me. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and enjoy being on such a beautiful ship, surely the cost and luxury of these cruises warrant well dressed passengers. 

My opinion, but I hope valid.

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

Bravo and hooray, Stefken! We are likeminded.
We must coordinate cruises. I hope to sail w you (hubby welcome too) soon!

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 7:47 AM, papaflamingo said:

We certainly understand the rules and abide by them.  But in my case, just don't think a dress code has a lot to do with good taste.

The thoughts behind a dress code are interesting to me especially given the fact that dress is continually getting more casual - airplanes, cruises, business, church, etc.  I try to understand the honest reasons behind these policies.  Never want to be one who says the world is falling apart just because it's changing.  

11 minutes ago, mwike said:

I try to understand the honest reasons behind these policies.

Maybe because some people don’t use common sense/are constantly trying to push the boundaries. Have you seen bathing suits on planes? Barefoot passengers? I have. Shorts/tee shirts, hats, hats on backwards, swimwear and more would all be seen in the restaurants if these policies didn’t exist. 
And yes, that would diminish my enjoyment of the experience. A certain level of decorum/class is important to me. 
You certainly have the right to disagree, but I am glad these policies exist on Regent. 

• Like 6

Well, I must confess that I am a big enemy of formal nights on cruise ships. It is sort of a “blast from the past”. Yes, part of the opposition is based on airlines charging for luggage. But most of us who cruise Regent take business or first airline. On those flight classes, luggage is included. So it comes down to the lack of airport porterage, transit from gate to gate, and all the inconviniences one experiences at an airport these days. I feel that our airports have ignored the Americans With Disabilities act.  I will never fly through MIA again.

But, I have no problem with Regent;s after 6:00 PM. Basically, men had to wear collared shirts (polos were allowed). Shoes were required, but I didn’t t see any see any problems with type. Men had to wear long slacks — not denim jeans or shorts. But I have slacks cut just like jeans only made of a different kind of cloth, and they (and others like me) were served on the ship with no problems. 

13 hours ago, mwike said:

We certainly understand the rules and abide by them.  But in my case, just don't think a dress code has a lot to do with good taste.

The thoughts behind a dress code are interesting to me especially given the fact that dress is continually getting more casual - airplanes, cruises, business, church, etc.  I try to understand the honest reasons behind these policies.  Never want to be one who says the world is falling apart just because it's changing.  

I never said  "a dress code has a lot to do with good taste," or anything to do with "good taste" for that matter.  

The "reasons behind these policies" aren't all that difficult to understand. They are selling a "total experience." That "experience" includes a defined decorum on board.  That defined decorum includes a specific dress code.  Just like the up scale restaurant that requires men wear sports coats.  What I don't understand is why grown adults have so much problem simply abiding by the  rules they agree to when they accept the cruise contract. 

And I certainly don't see this as "the world is falling apart," in fact I'd be fine if they change the dress code.  I like the idea of shorts after 6 pm, especially in the Caribbean.  But until they do, I will follow the dress code because.....I'm a grown adult and I know what I agreed to when I accepted the cruise contract. 

• Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 9:47 AM, papaflamingo said:

And that should include the dreaded miscreants…..the lounge chair joggers.

• Like 3

When I see others coming to the dining room dressed like a slob, I always get disappointed with myself for not taking the initiative to dress like a slob too.  😈

• Haha 1

I am not surer if it was because we were in the Caribbean, but it appears that some people on our recent cruise completely ignored the dress code and it did not appear to be enforced. I really do not care what others are wearing, but I am of the belief I that one gets dressed for special occasions and a cruise holiday counts as a special occasion so I dress accordingly.

We were in Charleston on a Sunday morning and it was so nice to see families dressed for church. Last year I was invited to a first holy communion ceremony and dressed in a suit and was in a very small minority - some of the attendees looked like they were going directly from church to the  beach.