Pride of America just informed us that we have to have booster in order to cruise Hawaii in April.

4 cruisers

10 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

So we are not allowed to talk about how sick we got with shot number two.  We are seriously thinking about cancelling.  Very disappointed.

Yes. If you don’t want to comply with the vaccine policy, cancel before final payment. It is Likely driven by local Hawaiian laws and not NCL.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. If you don’t want to comply with the vaccine policy, cancel before final payment. It is Likely driven by local Hawaiian laws and not NCL.

Correct.  CDC still says "Fully vaccinated" is two vaccines. So far, Maui is requiring the third.  NCL did not offer the information until I specifically asked.  They were just reminding me of final payment.  

Eventhough NCL can't control Hawaii....they can control giving passengers full disclosure before accepting final payment.

Edited by 4 cruisers
additional thought.
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, 4 cruisers said:

Correct.  CDC still says "Fully vaccinated" is two vaccines. So far, Maui is requiring the third.  NCL did not offer the information until I specifically asked.  They were just reminding me of final payment.  

Eventhough NCL can't control Hawaii....they can control giving passengers full disclosure before accepting final payment.

This is not accurate unless Maui has initiated specific rules for cruisers. I’m living on Maui now and nothing similar has made the news here. I’ll dig more tomorrow. 

I can see where there might be some confusion. The county Maui does require a vaccine for select activities they have deemed high risk. Example- eating indoors, bars, gyms, etc…

On January 24th, the county of Maui did initiate a booster requirement for above mentioned activities. However; the mandate was very short lived. On February 7th Maui reversed the booster requirement. Currently, there is no booster requirement here on Maui.

If that wasn’t confusing enough, a few weeks ago, governor IGE suggested he would likely implement a booster requirement for the whole state (including the county of Maui) on February 18th. However that too was short lived. Last week, IGe said he changed his mind. He will not make boosters mandatory for entry to the state of Hawaii.

Is it possible that NCL is just not up to date in the information? Example, they didn’t get the memos that Maui rescinded the booster mandate AND that the state reversed course in requiring a booster? Both decisions did happen within the last 2 weeks.

Again , the booster requirement would have to be a new policy specific to cruisers. I do know that a few cruise ships have already been here. Maybe check the grand Princess roll call, or insignia roll call, to find out if those ships required a booster. 

I have a feeling ncl just missed the memo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4 cruisers said:

So we are not allowed to talk about how sick we got with shot number two.  We are seriously thinking about cancelling.  Very disappointed.

My booster was easier than my second.  I think you’ll live.  

• Like 16

Maui required boosters for certain things starting on January 24….  Then gave up and recorded the order on February 6. NCL may be behind on the flailing of the Hawaiian governments. There was  sheer panic after the unprecedented COVID spikes following the holidays and the Maui marathon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with what you are saying about NCL making you aware of the requirements, certainly on their website they have given information for some destinations so it would be reasonable to assume that special conditions do not apply to other countries that are not listed.  On the other hand their T&Cs do state that it is up to the guest to check that they comply with the requirements for each destination 

Screenshot_20220218-135748_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

The only requirement for the booster in Maui was for indoor dining.  And the governor decided not to require it for the rest of the state.  Crap.  My daughter is 12.  She has had 2 shots but isn't eligible for the booster until after the cruise?  Where does that leave me?

I appreciate everyone’s input here!  I didn’t know that the booster is a half dose!  Someone recommended that we try a different booster other than than Moderna (the one I had).  

We have until Monday to decide if we want to

commit.  We really were looking forward to this trip.  We have an owners suite reserved so it is a lot of money involved!  

Clearer head this morning and will stay calm about it😇.  I suppose we can wait until 2 weeks before the cruise to see if it’s still

required.

Thank you all for posting!  I hope NCL changes their way of delivering booked passengers their information!

1 hour ago, amyh13 said:

The only requirement for the booster in Maui was for indoor dining.  And the governor decided not to require it for the rest of the state.  Crap.  My daughter is 12.  She has had 2 shots but isn't eligible for the booster until after the cruise?  Where does that leave me?

Oh NO!  Amyh, I hope it will still work out for you and your daughter!  I think I see why they keep pushing the Pride of America’s start date back.  Keep us posted!

4 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Moderna booster is only a half dose if that helps. Not like the second shot at all.

My first was the J&J and my booster was the Pfizer first of Feb. I asked the nurse about the dosage and she said it was a full dose-I’m assuming because first vax was J&J. I had no side effects with the first but had soreness and swollen lymph nodes under arm of shot. 

5 hours ago, rebeccac said:

I also had very little problem with the booster except for a sore arm.  Neither did my husband and he reacted very badly to the second shot.  

I had a very rough time with the first shot (Moderna).  The second was, thank goodness, a lot better but still not my favorite (ha!).

For the booster, I waited until it was official that I could get the half dose.

And that one was.... a big nothing.

(I've wondered since then if I should have gone for the fully monty.  It seems the boosters are wearing off, too, and no surprise there.)

DH took Pfizer way back.  We chose different vaccines back then in case one turned out to be better than the other, trying to avoid both with duds. 😉 

We each stayed with the same for the boosters.

Yes, DH's Pfizer booster was full strength, and he had just about no "reaction".  He didn't have such a bad time even with his first, but we'll never know how he "would have done" with Moderna, etc.

GC

46 minutes ago, SueBabe said:

My first was the J&J and my booster was the Pfizer first of Feb. I asked the nurse about the dosage and she said it was a full dose-I’m assuming because first vax was J&J. I had no side effects with the first but had soreness and swollen lymph nodes under arm of shot. 

My 14 year old got the Pfizer booster as it is the only one approved for her age. Full dose and that was after 2 doses of the Pfizer.

This was a few months ago.

Edited by Lionkingrichard

2 hours ago, 4 cruisers said:

I appreciate everyone’s input here!  I didn’t know that the booster is a half dose!  Someone recommended that we try a different booster other than Moderna (the one I had).  

I had a terrible reaction to the Moderna 2nd dose.  I'm not sure I didn't have a seizure in the middle of the night.  As I was preparing to get my Moderna booster I told the pharmacist about the previous bad reaction and he said the booster was only 1/2 dose and shouldn't be as bad.  He was very wrong(!) and it was a miserable 24 hours.  I was hesitant to get the booster but figured it was the price to pay if I ever wanted to cruise again and it became a requirement. I guess the question is is a cruise worth 24 hours of misery?  Only you can decide.  And maybe you'd have no reaction at all.  Bodies are funny.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SueBabe said:

That is what I did also.  Sore arm only.

7 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I agree with what you are saying about NCL making you aware of the requirements, certainly on their website they have given information for some destinations so it would be reasonable to assume that special conditions do not apply to other countries that are not listed.  On the other hand their T&Cs do state that it is up to the guest to check that they comply with the requirements for each destination 

Screenshot_20220218-135748_Chrome.jpg

T&Cs do state that it is up to the guest to check that they comply with the requirements for each destination 👍  We are planning a trip to Italy for one month in mid June - mid July.  I certainly would not rely on an internet chat room to guide on my health protocols.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4 cruisers said:

How did they communicate this information to you? We are scheduled for the April 30th sailing. 

39 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

The Moderna booster is the only one that is a half dose. The others are a full dose. Just FYI for those looking for that info if they're contemplating a 3rd dose. 

That's because a Moderna "full dose" (100 micrograms of mRNA) is over 3 times the amount of a Pfizer full dose (30 micrograms). I'm not making any statement on either being better than the other or having different efficacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1