Starting 3/1 Vaccinated (+Boosted if elig) Guests can test 3 days prior

Wanna_Cruize

Just noticed this nugget in reading the changed protocols, dated today": 

Fully Vaccinated Guests

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination.

Additionally, the CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible. Should the CDC definition of fully vaccinated evolve to require the booster shot, our policy will adapt accordingly. It is also always possible that certain destinations could define a fully vaccinated guest as one who is current with a booster shot. Consequently, we also strongly encourage all guests who are eligible to get their booster vaccine at least seven days before boarding as this may become a condition for travel without prior notice. Please review the updated CDC recommendations on the CDC’s website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window..

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests, ages 2 and older, to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective March 1, guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. On certain sailings, guests should be prepared for the possibility of an additional COVID test prior to boarding, which will be provided in the terminal on a complimentary basis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't really effect my situation, we are driving and already have our CVS Rapid test scheduled for 2 days prior. But might help those who are flying. 

Also, when booking CVS, I noticed that they removed the question about wanting the test because you are traveling. However, you must answer Yes to at least one of the first two questions and no to the rest to be approved for a free test. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I did notice that this new 3-day rule is for passengers who are "up to date on their vaccinations" which they clarify means that they "have received a booster, if eligible."

Sounds like a mess to me ..so I got my booster last nov ... is it only good 4 months. Does that mean I have to have a 2nd booster for march? 

Lots of questions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sounds like a mess to me ..so I got my booster last nov ... is it only good 4 months. Does that mean I have to have a 2nd booster for march? 

Lots of questions.

From what I've read, they aren't changing the definition of 'vaccinated' to mean boosted. Just giving one more day's leeway on the testing if you are. I agree, it's not really a huge change, but in some cases where people are flying in a day or two ahead, it could help.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lots of questions.

As of right now nobody in the US has issued guidance as to how long the boosters are good for. So someone with one booster is considered "up to date" no matter when you got boosted.

• Like 1

It won't make any difference to me.  We ordered the proctored tests, so we can take them at our convenience.  Well, plus we are cruising before the effective date, so there's that.

This might make it easier for people who have to go somewhere to take the test.  Every little bit of loosening the requirements makes it easier for people to cruise.

1 hour ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Doesn't really effect my situation, we are driving and already have our CVS Rapid test scheduled for 2 days prior. But might help those who are flying. 

Also, when booking CVS, I noticed that they removed the question about wanting the test because you are traveling. However, you must answer Yes to at least one of the first two questions and no to the rest to be approved for a free test. 

Almost. 

We had planned to fly in Thursday but the flight prices jumped enough to make it worth coming in Wednesday. 😢

We sail on a Saturday. 

1 minute ago, mom2myrugrat said:

so if i leave on a sunday do i test friday? or Thursday this has me a bit confused x

The day you embark doesn't count, so you can do Saturday, Friday, or if you're boosted Thursday.

32 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The day you embark doesn't count, so you can do Saturday, Friday, or if you're boosted Thursday.

I don’t think that’s correct. 

the example given by Carnival is if you are boosted and your cruise leaves Saturday you can test Thursday, Friday or Saturday if you can get the test back in time. 

so Sunday should be Friday, Saturday or Sunday. 

(but your way would be better for me) 

Edited by 1kaper

The specific example on Carnival's website have been there forever and are for the vaccinated but non-boosted. If Saturday departure, you can test Thu or Fri (or even Sat if you can be sure to get the results in time) Two days before your departure day.

However, now that Carnival added the new paragraph about having 3 days prior if you are boosted, it muddied the waters with the explanation, they should have added the new ability for 3 days prior if boosted AFTER the example. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

The specific example on Carnival's website have been there forever and are for the vaccinated but non-boosted. If Saturday departure, you can test Thu or Fri (or even Sat if you can be sure to get the results in time) Two days before your departure day.

However, now that Carnival added the new paragraph about having 3 days prior if you are boosted, it muddied the waters with the explanation, they should have added the new ability for 3 days prior if boosted AFTER the example. 

Ah. I assumed it was part of the new information.  It is confusing how it’s written. 

We've been on several of the 3 day cruises out of Long Beach this year. They all leave on Friday, so under the 2-day rule, we could test on Wed or Thursday. (2 days prior to departure day). In the past, we would get the PCR test at Kaiser early Wed morning, and book a rapid test at CVS for late on Thursday, in case we didn't get our results back in time for Friday's boarding. 

Now, since we both got our boosters recently, we qualify under the 3-day rule, which means we could now test as early as Tuesday for a Friday departure (3 days prior to departure day)

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

And the unvaccinated.

The difference is unvaccinated need a PCR test. Vaxxed can use an antigen test. 

(for clarity for those reading not necessary the poster I’m responding to). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Still have to get tested which is what keeps a lot of people not booking.

Do you really think that's the case? Yeah, getting a free test is a hassle, but I wouldn't think it was a big enough obstacle to keep many people from booking.

Masking and vaccination I'd think would be the bigger reasons. But maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Do you really think that's the case? Yeah, getting a free test is a hassle, but I wouldn't think it was a big enough obstacle to keep many people from booking.

Masking and vaccination I'd think would be the bigger reasons. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think getting a test is a added stress that the average person says ... I'll wait. Not me.

If they do away with having to get tests, bookings will go up from people I know. Yes I know people who dont want the stress of having to get tested to board.

• Like 5