Starting 3/1 Vaccinated (+Boosted if elig) Guests can test 3 days prior

Wanna_Cruize

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think getting a test is a added stress that the average person says ... I'll wait. Not me.

If they do away with having to get tests, bookings will go up from people I know. Yes I know people who dont want the stress of having to get tested to board.

We're sailing on February 28. I agree, the testing is what is most on my mind right now. The worry that your vacation may be canceled at the last minute due to a positive test. The stress of having to have a backup vacation plan. Oh well. I will take my home proctored test as planned on Saturday morning and see what happens. 

• Like 1

Every cruise line will give you a FCC if you test positive, but the 3-day window gives you a chance to do it before travel. I now do most of my cruise travel on Southwest, where I can cancel a flight anytime up to 10 minutes before departure without penalty. 3 days was the original CDC requirement, and actually makes better sense, since it is more likely to prevent an infected person from traveling. Drop in cases and work/school testing requirements should also greatly increase availability of community testing. My plan has always been to try to get a free Walgreen's test, and if that doesn't work have an emed home test as a backup, and to take a home test on my cruise in case I have any symptoms. 

• Like 1

The testing thing doesn't bother me as much as masking does, so I'm down for whatever in regards to that. I'm well stocked on the eMed tests mostly out of convenience. 

My husband and friends I travel with frequently all keep a tele-health proctored test and a regular at-home test in our suitcases. You never know when you might have symptoms OR a last-second opportunity to hop on a ship might pop up!

• Like 1

Having sailed a bunch of times since testing was required AND as a person that flies to the port, the added 3rd day is HUGE.  The 2 day 'test/fly/sail' sequence was fairly stressful, especially if traveling long distances.  Our flights to Baltimore in October and Miami in January were wheels up by 8am the day before the cruise.  Both times we had to test the morning the day before our flights to obtain our results by around noon meaning that we really only had a single afternoon of 'emergency flex time' if a problem occurred. Doable but not ideal.  By adding an additional day, 24 more hours of cushion have been added back to the process. 

• Like 2

Wait, is Carnival now saying that my 12 and 14 year old daughters need to have a booster shot to sail now? They are vaccinated but if this is the case I'm going to be furious. They need to be more specific with kids and their ages. My young vaccinated daughters don't need boosters at this point .......

Edited by tallnthensome

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Wait, is Carnival now saying that my 12 and 14 year old daughters need to have a booster shot to sail now? They are vaccinated but if this is the case I'm going to be furious. They need to be more specific with kids and their ages. My young vaccinated daughters don't need boosters at this point .......

Absolutely not.  The expansion to 3 days testing does not in any way impact anyone who is 'fully vaxxed' (meaning both jabs) but it does mean that the 2 day testing window remains in place for those who do not have the booster.  So for your daughters the policy is a big 'No Change'. Test within the current 2 day protocol.  Enjoy your cruise.

6 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Absolutely not.  The expansion to 3 days testing does not in any way impact anyone who is 'fully vaxxed' (meaning both jabs) but it does mean that the 2 day testing window remains in place for those who do not have the booster.  So for your daughters the policy is a big 'No Change'. Test within the current 2 day protocol.  Enjoy your cruise.

So they are going to inconvenience the whole family then with this continued two day testing nonsense ........ Stupid. No reason not to let fully vaccinated kids test three days out with their boosted parents. 

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Having sailed a bunch of times since testing was required AND as a person that flies to the port, the added 3rd day is HUGE.  The 2 day 'test/fly/sail' sequence was fairly stressful, especially if traveling long distances.  Our flights to Baltimore in October and Miami in January were wheels up by 8am the day before the cruise.  Both times we had to test the morning the day before our flights to obtain our results by around noon meaning that we really only had a single afternoon of 'emergency flex time' if a problem occurred. Doable but not ideal.  By adding an additional day, 24 more hours of cushion have been added back to the process. 

HI neighbor from MN. Yes adding another day is great. We always fly the day before because of the weather. And then getting testing done in time is another challenge.

When we sailed in Dec. there was a big snow storm the night before. Heck of a time getting to the airport. Our plane had sat on the tarmac over night and was frozen and covered in snow. And then delayed with some fuse frozen and then sat to be deiced for quite a while. We would never had made it to the cruise in time. Wish I still had the photo on a mechanic working inside the engine. Scary.

We fly out 3/4 for Margi Gras on 3/5. Always problematic leaving from MN in the winter. And our usual testing places are not convenient timing this time.

Edited by vettprincess
more info

This is good news for me. In May I'm flying from the UK on a Sunday and have a Tuesday cruise. I have to pass an antigen test 1 day prior to entry to the USA. I can take a rapid test on the Sunday morning to cover both flight and cruise, but if I fail I'll lose the flight booking (cancelation must be within 24 hours).

So I have booked a local pharmacy for a test on the Saturday to cover the flight and was going to take another at London Heathrow on the Sunday morning for the cruise (providing I pass the Saturday test). 

This now means that the Saturday test will cover both if it hopefully returns a negative result.

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Having sailed a bunch of times since testing was required AND as a person that flies to the port, the added 3rd day is HUGE.  The 2 day 'test/fly/sail' sequence was fairly stressful, especially if traveling long distances.  

yes I agree because of some places cancelling and also those home tests can come damaged.

I like now that I can do Walgreens one day and CVS the other and hope neither cancel.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I think getting a test is a added stress that the average person says ... I'll wait. Not me.

If they do away with having to get tests, bookings will go up from people I know. Yes I know people who dont want the stress of having to get tested to board.

Exactly this.....  Why we're siting out still.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly this.....  Why we're sitting out still.   

The requirements for masking and testing are serving no purpose at this point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Do you really think that's the case? Yeah, getting a free test is a hassle, but I wouldn't think it was a big enough obstacle to keep many people from booking.

Masking and vaccination I'd think would be the bigger reasons. But maybe I'm wrong.

The test may not be free if done for travel purposes.  Some of us have never been tested so figuring how where and how in an unfamiliar city is daunting.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

when they say 2 days out, is it 48 hours or can it be for example thurs morning and leave sat 4 5pm?

The two days prior to embarking......leaving on Sunday means you can test anytime from Friday on.  No hourly clock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

So they are going to inconvenience the whole family then with this continued two day testing nonsense ........ Stupid. No reason not to let fully vaccinated kids test three days out with their boosted parents. 

Look, I don't make the rules.  I have no idea about why there's a distinction between 'up to date' (boosted) and 'fully vaxxed' (2 jabs) as it pertains to the testing requirements.  But dems da rules. 

Take it up with the CDC or John Heald.  I was just answering the lady's question, mkay.

27 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The test may not be free if done for travel purposes.  Some of us have never been tested so figuring how where and how in an unfamiliar city is daunting.  

It's a little daunting Elaine but daunting enough not to cruise?  I guess that is for each individual to decide.  I do think that 'fully vaxxed' is here for a very long time (maybe forever) and that testing is required for at least the balance of 2022.

19 minutes ago, jsglow said:

It's a little daunting Elaine but daunting enough not to cruise?  I guess that is for each individual to decide.  I do think that 'fully vaxxed' is here for a very long time (maybe forever) and that testing is required for at least the balance of 2022.

Could be.  I will be in Orlando prior to my cruise without a car.  Most places I found were "drive up" , not knowing which were reputable, horror stories of last minute cancellations, no testing supplies and the fear of a false positive.  That's alot of unknown.