Spirit, Alaska, Balcony

brat7432

Hello.

We are planning our first Alaska cruise this summer! This is only our third-ever cruise; previously we've had interior cabins, mostly due to my propensity toward motion sickness.

1. In your opinion, is it worth the extra money to secure a balcony cabin for an Alaska cruise - does one see much other than water, as in a Caribbean Cruise?

2. Would a balcony cabin adversely affect motion sickness?

3. Thoughts about ship location for the cabin?

We appreciate your thoughts...thanks in advance!

I am NOT a proponent of Balc cabins for Alaska given the true premium price they command.  Others disagree which is why they can charge what the do.  We spend our days on Top Deck enjoying the views.  While Carnival doesn't currently go there, Glacier Bay NP is one of the best days at sea one will ever have.  Enjoy.

As to motion sickness, it is fair to say that the Pacific can be rougher than the Caribbean.  That said, much of one's time is spent in the Inside Passages limiting time out in the open ocean.  I believe Carnival takes the ocean route out around Vancouver Island to save time; certainly a rougher ride than in the southern Inside Passage taken by Princess out of Vancouver.  Obviously nobody know how this affects you.  And I'd certainly consider wearing a seasick patch as prescribed by your doctor if you are sensitive. 

• Like 1

Hard to say without knowing the difference in price. 

I'm looking at going to Panama and its 2100 inside or 4800 balcony. It's all new ports for me so of course I'd prefer a balcony .. but that big of a difference ... sadly I might choose inside.

I think being midship is the biggest difference and alaska rarely has rough seas, a lot is near the coast not open water crossing the ocean like caribbean. I wouldnt be concerned myself. 

We had a balcony for Alaska (actually, for all our cruises) and enjoyed keeping the balcony door open while sitting on our balcony listening to the naturalist (televised on the tv and over the speakers) and drinking hot chocolate.  The only one who can really say if getting a balcony is worth it is you.  We did not want to be among the crowds of people on the top deck.  If getting a cabin (any cabin) it might be best midship if worried about seasickness, and with cabins above and below you to shield you from noise.

I think there is plenty to see on an Alaska cruise, other than water.  You don't need a balcony cabin, but if you are in your cabin when the naturalist announces something - getting out or up to deck can take some time.  Of course there is the matter of what side of the ship the wildlife etc is located - even from a balcony you might need to get elsewhere to see it.

There also can be the sound of ice cracking from the glaciers, which some people get excited about.  

I have real issues with motion sickness, and for me a balcony cabin helps.  More fresh air, plus it helps me to be able to see the horizon or the movement of the ship, rather than just feel it.  Think of looking out the window of a car as you are traveling as a passenger.  For most of us, this would reduce any feelings of nausea - much better than reading a book or otherwise having motion be disconnected from the visual input of seeing.  Bring along remedies for motion sickness.  Try to get some green apples from the lido, to keep in a bowl in your room in case you hit rough water.  They help.  So do scopalamine patches, but the side effects are so powerful I only resort to them if the rough water is terrible.  I've only had issues with ship going max speed between Victoria and Seattle, out in open water.   For location, avoid high decks and the front of the ship.  Mid ship and lower are more stable.  There is quite a bit of sway at the aft of the ship, but even that is pretty tolerable for me compared to the bow.  

We booked the Spirt 8 day for August two days ago. Switched from the 10 day miracle sailing. Got a great offer for an extended balcony on deck 5 for my family of four for $2793 plus $200 OBC. Alaska is a place you want a balcony and somewhere mid ship lower decks will help with movement.  Being able to look out of your balcony while in your cabin and being able to see the water/land and horizon will ease motion sickness in the cabin versus an inside cabin. 

Edited by tallnthensome

I cruised Alaska in an inside cabin a number of years ago because it was all I could afford.  Right before COVID I cruised the Legend/Glacier Bay and chose a balcony.  For me, it was worth every extra penny.  Yes, there are plenty of outside decks for scenery/wildlife viewing, but the weather even mid-summer can be cold and or wet, and I'm not keen on standing outside in freezing rain.  I find that in rough weather, I need a view of the horizon to be comfortable, so an inside cabin doesn't work well. With the exception of when I've been very far aft or forward - I really haven't noticed a difference in cabin movement so I wouldn't stress too much about the exact location.  

But if its at all possible in your budget, I'd book the balcony.  With so many hours of daylight and so much of your cruise being close to shore......there's almost always something to look at and its much more convenient being able to do that from your cabin.

1. A balcony is preferable, but if it will affect your excursion choices, I would choose excursions over a balcony. Since Carnival sails outside of Vancouver Island, you will generally not see much other than ocean on the first and last day at sea. 

2. A balcony should help with motion sickness vs an inside cabin. 

3. Mid-ship, lower deck is better for motion sickness. A higher deck is probably better for quickly being able to get outside if an announcement is made regarding something worth seeing (if booking an inside cabin). 

19 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

We just saw where the Carnival Spirit will be sailing out of Jacksonville, Florida. Is there any pertinent information (best cabins, food, entertainment, etc.) about this Ship on the web or this forum? Thanks   

They are splurgy, but for spirit class ships - the aft wrap balconies (Vista suite)  are about as good as you can get on any cruise ship.  I finally booked one (not for Alaska, but for a Mexican  riviera cruise - no way could I afford this treat on an Alaska itinerary) on deck 4.  Very sheltered from weather on this level, very private, huge balcony.  Wish I could book one on the cruise I'm going on this fall, on the Pride.  Key is to book very early - was able to get one for a great price over Thanksgiving back in 2019.  

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

15 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

We just saw where the Carnival Spirit will be sailing out of Jacksonville, Florida. Is there any pertinent information (best cabins, food, entertainment, etc.) about this Ship on the web or this forum? Thanks   

Thread hijack ..... start a new one. 

9 minutes ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

They are splurgy, but for spirit class ships - the aft wrap balconies are about as good as you can get on any cruise ship.  I finally booked one (not for Alaska, but for a Mexican  riviera cruise - no way could I afford this treat on an Alaska itinerary) on deck 4.  Very sheltered from weather on this level, very private, huge balcony.  Wish I could book one on the cruise I'm going on this fall, on the Pride.  Key is to book very early - was able to get one for a great price over Thanksgiving back in 2019.  

Thank you. 

I have been on 8 cruises to Alaska so far, once in an interior cabin, 5 times in OV and twice in balcony.  I live near Seattle so going to Alaska is easy and I’m sure I’ll be there more times.  If this is your one and only Alaska cruise, I would recommend a balcony if you can afford it.  Otherwise an OV but not interior because of the motion sickness issue. 

• Like 1

I have cruised to Alaska twice - both times in an inside cabin.  The first time, I chose to be alone in the cabin rather than share with two other friends.  The second time, my travel companion was on a budget.  It was absolutely fine.  When visiting Glacier Bay, we were on deck the whole time.  

I think a cabin in the middle of the ship, not too high up is best to help prevent motion sickness.  When I cruise, I start taking Bonine two nights before the cruise starts and take one every night before bed.  Works Ike a charm.  

Good luck.  I am hoping to cruise to Alaska again in 2023.  It is spectacular.  

Hubby has real issues with motion sickness when cruising and we always get a prescription for the patch before any cruise.  He puts the first one on about 24 hrs before sail away (and typically uses at least 3 in a row for 7 day cruise) and is usually fine for entire trip (unless bad storm or high swells then its off to bed for the duration). 

We do have other remedies to assist the patch just to be sure he will enjoy the trip including, always book a balcony or suite (almost always mid deck 7 as that has proved to be his sweet spot) and that breath of fresh air any time of day or night is essential), keep ginger ale in cabin at all times (for any twinge in the stomach), ginger hard candies (keep in my purse usually), chewable Bonine (quick to pop in mouth and act fast in digestion).  If seas happen to be a little rough we avoid anything aft like the MDR as aft seems to be the trigger for hubby if movement is more than normal. 

All in all, be prepared and figure out the best spot on the ship for anyone suffering from motion sickness.  

Edited by Drazil65

What puzzles me is that everyone says you need a balcony to see the horizon if it is rough seas.  But what if the rough seas occur at night?  I have done two Alaska. Raise of 14 days each, both times in inside cabins.  Don’t regret no balcony at all.  EM

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

What puzzles me is that everyone says you need a balcony to see the horizon if it is rough seas.  But what if the rough seas occur at night?  I have done two Alaska. Raise of 14 days each, both times in inside cabins.  Don’t regret no balcony at all.  EM

Well, that's good for you but 99% of people would tell you that people that suffer from sea sickness will benefit from a balcony with the help of visuals and fresh air. Sure, rough seas do occur at night but people also sleep at night. Do you suffer from sea sickness? 

Edited by tallnthensome

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Well, that's good for you but 99% of people would tell you that people that suffer from sea sickness will benefit from a balcony with the help of visuals and fresh air. Sure, rough seas do occur at night but people also sleep at night. Do you suffer from sea sickness? 

I have occasionally suffered from seasickness, but not necessarily during rough weather.  EM