Are they going to start limiting kids?

wesnliz

10 hours ago, Mrcar09 said:

I’m not sure how worried I should be by this. We booked a 4/17 cruise on Harmony last week with our unvaxxed 7 and 9 year old. We all had COVID a couple of weeks ago and decided now was the time to plan a vacation. We chose Royal Caribbean primarily due to their policies regarding unvaxxed children. Will we need to file for an exception much like Carnival or others and at what point will we know if we are able to sail?

your cruise is 60 days away.  You only need 35 to complete the Pfizer sequence.    It’s probably the best way to guarantee your vacation continues.     All cruise lines have joined this effort so they are probably all similar…if not more strict.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jkaczanowski said:

I noticed an odd thing on my Wonder 3/18 cruise.  If you choose 1 room with 4 passengers, it comes back that it’s not available online and to call.  If I choose 2 passengers, rooms in every category come up.  

I understand what you are saying.  Many cabins with four passengers include two children, and by requiring bookings to be made by phone, Royal is aware of the number of unvaccinated children being booked.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, exm said:

Your child probably had Delta and Omicron. Hopefully you realize that vaccinating your child doesn’t prevent your child from getting COVID, it makes it less severe. Personally I don’t see the logic for vaccinating after a double recovery, but ultimately it’s your decision as a parent.

It’s possible she had Delta & Omi, yes.  But it’s still 2 Covid cases in under 100 days.  Vaccines are less effective at preventing Omi, but we, her vaccinated parents, didn’t get Covid from her either time, and we all had continuous close contact- as in, slept in the same bed, ate every meal and snuggled for a week straight on the couch together.  So I’ll continue to be a giant supporter of vaccines.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, KayRaeRae said:

It’s possible she had Delta & Omi, yes.  But it’s still 2 Covid cases in under 100 days.  Vaccines are less effective at preventing Omi, but we, her vaccinated parents, didn’t get Covid from her either time, and we all had continuous close contact- as in, slept in the same bed, ate every meal and snuggled for a week straight on the couch together.  So I’ll continue to be a giant supporter of vaccines.  

I also support vaccines, but as a personal choice. My 11 year old daughter “brought” Omicron in our house. I am boosted, got it. My wife has 2 doses, got it. My 8 and 6 year olds also got it. My wife and I had the exact same cold systems, my kids a low grade fewer. So I am a bit skeptical that the booster did anything preventing for me getting COVID. Obviously I am happy with the mild symptoms.

It could be possible that you were asymptomatic, or had an asymptomatic COVID infection earlier. Anyway, glad everyone is doing okay and that we can have a civil conversation here.

4 minutes ago, exm said:

I also support vaccines, but as a personal choice. My 11 year old daughter “brought” Omicron in our house. I am boosted, got it. My wife has 2 doses, got it. My 8 and 6 year olds also got it. My wife and I had the exact same cold systems, my kids a low grade fewer. So I am a bit skeptical that the booster did anything preventing for me getting COVID. Obviously I am happy with the mild symptoms.

It could be possible that you were asymptomatic, or had an asymptomatic COVID infection earlier. Anyway, glad everyone is doing okay and that we can have a civil conversation here.

I think the problem here was the layperson's expectations - like you and me. Get vaccinated and never get the virus, right?

I've learned from my own "breakthrough" infection that the goal of vaccination was to stop people from dying and reduce their suffering to a minor cold. Based on the percentage of hospital beds occupied by vaccinated individuals versus unvaccinated individuals it is absolutely delivering on that promise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Keep an eye out. THe new CDC rules allow for documented recovery within 90 days in lieu of a negative test.

But, big but, that’s only in lieu of a negative test and the proof of recovery language is unchanged from the requirements of the original order. The CDC perspective on recovery from Covid has not changed recently. 

It isn’t in lieu of being fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

But, big but, that’s only in lieu of a negative test and the proof of recovery language is unchanged from the requirements of the original order. The CDC perspective on recovery from Covid has not changed recently. 

It isn’t in lieu of being fully vaccinated. 

It's defined here. Recently recovered gets you on board without a test.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#testing-of-embarking-and-disembarking-passengers

And if you're deemed a close contact, no additional testing

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships.html

No mention of vaccines for those who have recently recovered.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I understand what you are saying.  Many cabins with four passengers include two children, and by requiring bookings to be made by phone, Royal is aware of the number of unvaccinated children being booked.

but when I made my reservation for May (2 adults and 1 11 yo kid) the site didn't ask whether my 11 yo would be vaxxed.

He is, but RCI doesn't know either way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but when I made my reservation for May (2 adults and 1 11 yo kid) the site didn't ask whether my 11 yo would be vaxxed.

He is, but RCI doesn't know either way.

Exactly, it isn’t known at time of booking. That’s sort of my gripe, there’s no other information available right now, the RCCL site still says under 12 doesn’t need to be vaxxed. When are we supposed to declare status? When will we know if we will be able to sail? What is the process? Carnival has a form for an exemption, what do I need to do for my unvaxxed kids to know if we will be within the 5% allowed on board?

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

By last thanksgiving kids 5-11 years of age could have only gotten the first shot. That made a difference between then and now.

My now-10-yr-old (who was still 9 at the time of his first and second shots, although he turned 10 a couple days after the second) got his shots on Nov 5 and Nov 26. His second one was the day after Thanksgiving, and he was basically one of the very first kids eligible. 

Shots approved on Nov 4, so the absolute earliest you could have gotten it was that day, meaning the earliest you could get the second was actually ON Thanksgiving itself. Most kids got their second after Thanksgiving as a result.

So yes, you are right. You wouldn't have had fully vaxxed 5-to-11-yr-olds for Thanksgiving week cruises in 2021.

7 hours ago, exm said:

I am in the same position as you, with 3 unvaxxed kids under 12. We are sailing in 3 weeks and the entire family recovered from COVID in mid-January. The good news is that it’s very unlikely you get COVID again unless a new strain arises. My only concern is the kids PCR test that can show positive results for up to 90 days. But not a lot you can do about it since the CDC, I mean Royal, still doesn’t recognize natural immunity. Don’t worry too much though.

they don’t recognize natural immunity but they do allow just an antigen test for the vaccinated which is much more likely to show a negative result at this phase of recovery than a PCR! 

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Some people are just prone to getting sick with whatever is circulating.

My brother was fully vaxxed and got a few months ago, he was so sick that we had to rush him to the hospital.  Before going to the hospital. he had no taste and could not hold any solids or liquids.  Even after a month he still had residual effects of the virus.

Other members of my family got infected and all vaxxed.  My daughter got it twice, her husband and my son once.   The symptoms were not as bad as my brother, but lingered for a week.  My son was prescribed steroids and he told me that he felt like a bull the next couple of days.😀

3 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

So yes, you are right. You wouldn't have had fully vaxxed 5-to-11-yr-olds for Thanksgiving week cruises in 2021.

thanks, I know. :) My DS got his first shot as soon as it was available locally (Nov 6), sailed during Thanksgiving, and then got his second shot the following Saturday. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, twangster said:

By a long shot the majority of cruisers are 11+ and therefore vax.  

How do you figure that 11+ means they are vaccinated?????

According to CDC only 57% of 12 - 17 are fully vaccinated. 

61% of 18 - 24. 

65% of 25 - 39,

73% of 40 - 49. 

80% of 50 - 64. 

91% of 65 - 75. 

85% of 75+.

And only 24% of 5 - 11.

A majority, but not a "long shot."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spooky981 said:

I think the problem here was the layperson's expectations - like you and me. Get vaccinated and never get the virus, right?

Vaccines have NEVER prevented you from getting the virus.  They just preset your immune system to respond more quickly, and therefore you do not get sick at all, or only mildly so.

The virus will still get in and multiply, but just not enough to be an issue.

Too few people have basic knowledge in the sciences.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SRF said:

According to CDC only 57% of 12 - 17 are fully vaccinated. 

61% of 18 - 24. 

65% of 25 - 39,

73% of 40 - 49. 

80% of 50 - 64. 

91% of 65 - 75. 

85% of 75+.

And only 24% of 5 - 11.

A majority, but not a "long shot."

I think they meant the majority of cruisers are older than 11, and that audience must be 100% vaccinated as everyone 12 and up is required to be. Not that the majority of 11+ overall are vaccinated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Because anyone over 12 is required to be fully vaccinated. And since the vast majority of cruisers are 12 or older, then the vast majority of cruisers will be fully vaccinated. And since the under-5's are exempted from the totals, we're literally only talking about the 5-11-yr-olds as being in that 5%.

Just now, jrapps said:

I think they meant the majority of cruisers are older than 11, and that audience must be 100% vaccinated as everyone 12 and up is required to be. Not that the majority of 11+ overall are vaccinated.

The post I was replying to said, "By a long shot the majority of cruisers are 11+ and therefore vax."

No, I read that as saying that "by a long shot the majority" are vaxxed since they are over 11.  And that is NOT the case.

Unless the cruise market preferentially attracts vaxxed people, the numbers are such that RCI will have to take some action to ensure that 95% of the passengers over 5 are vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

The post I was replying to said, "By a long shot the majority of cruisers are 11+ and therefore vax."

No, I read that as saying that "by a long shot the majority" are vaxxed since they are over 11.  And that is NOT the case.

Unless the cruise market preferentially attracts vaxxed people, the numbers are such that RCI will have to take some action to ensure that 95% of the passengers over 5 are vaccinated.

Since anyone 12 or older is required to be vaxxed to be on the cruise ship, if the vast majority of those on a cruise are 12 or older, then the vast majority of cruisers on the ship will be vaxxed. Not sure what is confusing about this statement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Because anyone over 12 is required to be fully vaccinated. And since the vast majority of cruisers are 12 or older, then the vast majority of cruisers will be fully vaccinated. And since the under-5's are exempted from the totals, we're literally only talking about the 5-11-yr-olds as being in that 5%.

OK, I see your point with that explanation.

So, 11+ are ALL vaccinated on the cruise, not a majority. 😄

Since 5 - 11 are only 24% vaccinated in the US, if on a ship sailing with 3000 passengers,  if there are more than 600 in that age group, they could be over the limit, which is unlikely.

• Like 2