Upper age limit on shore excusions

Dothan1952

We are looking at several possible Southern Caribbean cruises on Princess. When reviewing the shore excursion offered I saw several excursions that did not look very strenuous but had an upper age limit of 85. We will be traveling with my mother who is an extremely  active 87 (she actually in better health then either of us )

Does anyone have any experience with this age limit- do that actually enforce it or is it just a suggestion .

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

The restrictions are set by the vendor providing the tour, and it involves their insurance.  EM

That makes sense, but it does not really answer the OP's question of how strictly the cruise lines enforce this. They do have dates of birth, but do they really check them out when someone attempts to buy an excursion with a maximum age limit?

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That makes sense, but it does not really answer the OP's question of how strictly the cruise lines enforce this. They do have dates of birth, but do they really check them out when someone attempts to buy an excursion with a maximum age limit?

Good question and I am awaiting the answer.

I am running into this age problem too. Some tours have a 70 age limit (we are 75/77)  that doesn’t seem to be something we can’t do. Would like to know the answer also. 

I know that for tours with a weight limit it just depends on the tour company. DH was actually weighed once (was 2 lbs under) but SIL who was obviously over the limit was not weighed for one we just did 

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If the age limits on the cruise ship excursion presents problems, try contacting the tour operator directly.  Ignoring the current Covid issues, nothing requires that you have to book the tour through the ship.

DON

Defiantly the best idea. Just check out their past history for complaints. 

42 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If the age limits on the cruise ship excursion presents problems, try contacting the tour operator directly.  Ignoring the current Covid issues, nothing requires that you have to book the tour through the ship.

DON

Sometimes the tour company won't accept private bookings if they are also taking Princess tour bookings. However, sometimes they don't have that restriction. We took a Norwegian fjord excursion on a small boat that was berthed right next to the one doing the Princess excursion. It was the same company but we paid something like half the cost of the Princess excursion. The two boats went the same places and were in sight of each other.

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Sometimes the tour company won't accept private bookings if they are also taking Princess tour bookings. However, sometimes they don't have that restriction. We took a Norwegian fjord excursion on a small boat that was berthed right next to the one doing the Princess excursion. It was the same company but we paid something like half the cost of the Princess excursion. The two boats went the same places and were in sight of each other.

I've seen that all the time when using an independent tour guide. They all seem to go to the same attractions but with out the crowds or pricing of a Princess tour bus.