Dining Dress Code

adlb1300

Did ya notice - that the only hats worn by the crew are the chefs in the galley

The only time the officers wear hats is when doing their official duties -

giving you the disembarking boot for conduct unbecoming ah er walking the plank !   LOL  !!!

So much now for continuing to flog the deceased sea-horse - hope you like it well seasoned.

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, jhoover69 said:

Currently on the Bliss I thought I would post straight from the horse’s mouth this is outside ocean blue 

039E1EC2-24D4-450D-AE05-DFA62BAEB494.jpeg

7C132FDF-C9C1-45F9-ACBC-972ADD71CE9E.jpeg

Thank you for posting this.  We are going to be on the Bliss in November.  Reluctantly, I will pack a pair of long pants for eating in the Manhattan Room.  Our specialty dinners will not be affected as we will be dining at Cagney's,  Teppanyakis, and Los Lobos.  

Nothing against long pants but they take up valuable packing space.  

This entire thread is full of entertaining but unfortunately conflicting information throughout.  I wish it was possible to go to NCL's website and find an up to date dress code depending of course on which ship you will be on.  

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Thank you for posting this.  We are going to be on the Bliss in November.  Reluctantly, I will pack a pair of long pants for eating in the Manhattan Room.  Our specialty dinners will not be affected as we will be dining at Cagney's,  Teppanyakis, and Los Lobos.  

Nothing against long pants but they take up valuable packing space.  

This entire thread is full of entertaining but unfortunately conflicting information throughout.  I wish it was possible to go to NCL's website and find an up to date dress code depending of course on which ship you will be on.  

Basically the dress code is come as you care to be seen as. Personally the last time I wore shorts I was 5 years old and I do not care to be seen as a five year old so I wear long trousers. The same for other aspects of my attire. When dining in a linen covered full flatware service uniformed staff restaurant on land or on sea, I think it only proper to rise to that level of ambiance and wear a nice blazer, dress shirt, linen slacks and decent leather shoes. Leave the baseball hats, shorts etc. for the kids dining room.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Basically the dress code is come as you care to be seen as. Personally the last time I wore shorts I was 5 years old and I do not care to be seen as a five year old so I wear long trousers. The same for other aspects of my attire. When dining in a linen covered full flatware service uniformed staff restaurant on land or on sea, I think it only proper to rise to that level of ambiance and wear a nice blazer, dress shirt, linen slacks and decent leather shoes. Leave the baseball hats, shorts etc. for the kids dining room.

Well there have certainly been many opions offered on how one dresses, or how others think one should dress, so as not to "ruin" their dinner, but equating wearing shorts to being seen as a five year old, probably the winner for the most non-sensical and silly comment I have ever seen about dress codes.  I hope they don't sit you at the table next to me.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lakesregion said:

Some folks just don't "get" Freestyle!  🤣

Do people really still use terms like "trousers" and "slacks?"  I guess so!

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Well there have certainly been many opions offered on how one dresses, or how others think one should dress, so as not to "ruin" their dinner, but equating wearing shorts to being seen as a five year old, probably the winner for the most non-sensical and silly comment I have ever seen about dress codes.  I hope they don't sit you at the table next to me.

Why, would you feel uncomfortable ?

Sorry but I am not lugging more luggage than I have to, through the airport,  across country.  I have a closet full of linen slacks, dress shirts, blazers, dress leather shoes, and ties but I am not bringing them on a cruise.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Especially on say a Caribbean cruise.

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

LOL, this can't be a serious post.  Good job.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Sorry but I am not lugging more luggage than I have to, through the airport,  across country.  I have a closet full of linen slacks, dress shirts, blazers, dress leather shoes, and ties but I am not bringing them on a cruise.  

blazer and tie, sorry that does not compute 🙃

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

blazer and tie, sorry that does not compute 🙃

Don't feel bad about your lack of sartorial knowledge. It is mostly an age thing. If you do not live in an upscale inner city environment, then chances are you have never been to a fancy restaurant, cultural event or even a wedding that required even semi-formal attire. I am over 80 years old and know full well that I am fighting a losing war about what I consider civil behavior. Today we think nothing about foul language in public from all genders. No one goes to Saturday dancing class to learn how to properly dance, to properly ask a lady to dance, how to properly sit, or to carry on a conversation with out foul language. Where we stood when older folks came into a room where we learned there might be more than a single folk, knife and spoon on a table and how to use all of them. Where women did not paint their bodies in permanent ink, only military and bikers did that. Then along came the middle 1960's, the country decided that we no longer were willing to really win a war but sure could drag them out and maim and kill a lot of fine men and we began the slow but sure side into our present society. Parents stopped parenting and became "friends" with their kid. So please do not worry about not computing about a blazer and a tie. Even the finer cruise lines have dropped the requirement of better attire for their formal rooms. Enjoy what you are comfortable in, but if your wife or boy friend wishes to dress up please do not drag them down with your baseball hat and t-shirt. Make a bit of an effort to be a team rather than have them shine and you appear to be the driver. And if you see other passengers in more formal attire, do not think they are being snobbish, they are only doing what they were taught was correct.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Don't feel bad about your lack of sartorial knowledge. It is mostly an age thing. If you do not live in an upscale inner city environment, then chances are you have never been to a fancy restaurant, cultural event or even a wedding that required even semi-formal attire. I am over 80 years old and know full well that I am fighting a losing war about what I consider civil behavior. Today we think nothing about foul language in public from all genders. No one goes to Saturday dancing class to learn how to properly dance, to properly ask a lady to dance, how to properly sit, or to carry on a conversation with out foul language. Where we stood when older folks came into a room where we learned there might be more than a single folk, knife and spoon on a table and how to use all of them. Where women did not paint their bodies in permanent ink, only military and bikers did that. Then along came the middle 1960's, the country decided that we no longer were willing to really win a war but sure could drag them out and maim and kill a lot of fine men and we began the slow but sure side into our present society. Parents stopped parenting and became "friends" with their kid. So please do not worry about not computing about a blazer and a tie. Even the finer cruise lines have dropped the requirement of better attire for their formal rooms. Enjoy what you are comfortable in, but if your wife or boy friend wishes to dress up please do not drag them down with your baseball hat and t-shirt. Make a bit of an effort to be a team rather than have them shine and you appear to be the driver. And if you see other passengers in more formal attire, do not think they are being snobbish, they are only doing what they were taught was correct.

More comedy gold.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

We are not all that far apart in age, but I’ve accepted that the Leave it to Beaver days are behind me, just as my mother accepted  fireside chats were behind her generation.  He who dwells in the past is destined to fail in the present.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

LOL. Jeeez.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

And if you see other passengers in more formal attire, do not think they are being snobbish, they are only doing what they were taught was correct.

I think there is only one person here who is making judgements based on what people are wearing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

There are reasons NCL has evolved their dress codes to where they are now.  You are fighting a losing battle if you hope they will go back to formal or semi formal attire for dining.  With NCL's dress code if you wish to show up to dinner in suit and tie you can.  If me and my wife want to show up in casual attire we can.  If having everyone on board dress formally  is that important to you and you are willing to pay for it I am sure there are options that exist or cruises that are available.

BTW I am in my mid 60's.  I have been fortunate enough to have traveled all over the world and eaten at some of its finest restaurants.   You probably won't see me in one of the specialty restaurants or one of the MDR's in a baseball cap and flip flops.  I am an avid reader of cruise critic.  I really think they offer the best resource to keep up to date with all issues relating to the cruise industry.  

9 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I'm not 100% sure if you're fishing for bites with your posts, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if you're actually serious!! Without addressing all the points you've highlighted in your post, the obvious thing is you seem to be stuck in the way of the world back in the 40's and 50's, and not forthcoming to changes in society. But hey, you seem ok with using a computer or a smart phone to post your reply which is surprising, as I'd assumed you would pen a letter using a quill and a bottle of ink, and send it to Cruise Critic via carrier pigeon!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, David1975 said:

I'm not 100% sure if you're fishing for bites with your posts, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if you're actually serious!! Without addressing all the points you've highlighted in your post, the obvious thing is you seem to be stuck in the way of the world back in the 40's and 50's, and not forthcoming to changes in society. But hey, you seem ok with using a computer or a smart phone to post your reply which is surprising, as I'd assumed you would pen a letter using a quill and a bottle of ink, and send it to Cruise Critic via carrier pigeon!!

I try to live by the concept "if it isn't broken don't try to fix it" but then few people really have any concept of societal evolution and where it is heading and I am good with that because I do and I plan for my self how to enjoy the loop holes.

As to dress codes, I have been monitoring these threads for 20 years and every time anyone posts anything that is against the let it all hang out crowd, the thread lights up like an old fashioned pin ball game. Now if you all were comfortable in what you wear and how you act you would simply ignore those posts and move on. But no, many need to defend there by revealing a level of insecurity and being uncomfortable around others that do not follow the code.  So I suspect that you all on this thread are comfortable in your casualness and I will not hear another reply. NCL and one other line are the two where one can take a full 20 day cruise with all your clothing in a dop kit and fit right in so  relax and enjoy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

100% agreed. I'll never understand why some people think wearing the same clothes to a fancy restaurant as they'd wear to the beach or a baseball game is OK, but there we are. Anyway, our next cruise is in December (north Atlantic) and I'm pretty sure I won't be wearing ANY shorts for the duration of the cruise. I'd freeze to death!

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

100% agreed. I'll never understand why some people think wearing the same clothes to a fancy restaurant as they'd wear to the beach or a baseball game is OK, but there we are. Anyway, our next cruise is in December (north Atlantic) and I'm pretty sure I won't be wearing ANY shorts for the duration of the cruise. I'd freeze to death!

I may have missed it, but where did someone say they'd wear the same clothes that they'd wear to the beach or a baseball game to a fancy restaurant.

18 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

I try to live by the concept "if it isn't broken don't try to fix it" but then few people really have any concept of societal evolution and where it is heading and I am good with that because I do and I plan for my self how to enjoy the loop holes.

As to dress codes, I have been monitoring these threads for 20 years and every time anyone posts anything that is against the let it all hang out crowd, the thread lights up like an old fashioned pin ball game. Now if you all were comfortable in what you wear and how you act you would simply ignore those posts and move on. But no, many need to defend there by revealing a level of insecurity and being uncomfortable around others that do not follow the code.  So I suspect that you all on this thread are comfortable in your casualness and I will not hear another reply. NCL and one other line are the two where one can take a full 20 day cruise with all your clothing in a dop kit and fit right in so  relax and enjoy.

I agree with absolutely everything you said. 100%. I am 58 years old but I've held the same view about society cascading downward since I was 15 years old. It's always funny to me: as you say, the "let it all hang out" crowd gets really testy if someone disagrees. Why are they so bothered when people like us decide to dress up and feel good about it? Not to worry, stick to your guns and know there are others out there like you. Even if I'm traditional in my sartorial ways, I was also taught to be kind and polite to people. So if I'm decked out in my tuxedo and a chap next to me is wearing shorts and a baseball cap, I'm very likely to strike up a conversation with him and buy him a drink!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I may have missed it, but where did someone say they'd wear the same clothes that they'd wear to the beach or a baseball game to a fancy restaurant.

Check out many of the dining code threads, you'll always find those who say things like "I should be able to wear shorts and a T-shirt to dinner I'm on vacation!"  - and that's what people wear to the places I mentioned. I was just at the beach last week, FYI. 😉

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

But NCL’s fancy restaurants are fake, it’s pretend. The food quality is less than any restaurant at home. Lipstick on a pig, time to lose the tablecloths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Oh my sweet lord. I saw this topic come up and realized it was from March - I tried so, so, so hard to ignore it. Then came your delightfully out of touch post. 

I'm a gay white guy, married to a guy. I was brought up by inter-racial grandparents. My boss is a very experienced women with a heck of a career progression. My aunt went to Harvard and Columbia Law. My grandma owned her own home. Heck, my grandpa (if he were alive) can use the same entrance, same bathroom as white dudes.

So Mr. @Lakesregion I want nothing to do with you or your past glory days. I'm happy America is becoming a majority-minority nation that allows minorities the same rights as men. I wish the same could be said for women. 

I also want nothing to do with the past days of cruising in a tuxedo, standing for a stupid portrait, and using multiple pieces of silverware. Gosh forbid my tongue detects a hint of the salad dressing while I'm eating a steak.

You stop your judging of my flippie floppies, t-shirt, and shorts in the dining room, in accordance with NCL's dress code. I never started judging you in your fancy tuxedo anyway. You were a mere illusion walking by while I carried out conversation with my husband anyway - I don't notice others when I'm with  dining with my husband. My attention is on him and the discussion we're having. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2