Dining Dress Code

adlb1300

On 3/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Part of the reason for dining in Le Bistro or Cagney's instead of going to the buffet is the ambiance.  NCL tries to raise the bar by providing nicer furniture, decor, lighting and sound.  If one of your fellow diners detracts from that ambiance by talking loudly, wearing clothing that is completely out of place with the venue, or otherwise drawing negative attention, then yes, it can be a bother. 

I believe you think Cagney's is more Ruth Chris than Texas Roadhouse. You would be incorrect. This is freestyle cruising. If you want fancier, you are on the wrong line. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, billslowsky said:

It's posted sideways for the benefit of the dress code vigilantes, whose necks are craned at a 90 degree angle, intrusively inspecting the garments of other cruisers more in touch with the actual dress code.

This post wins the thread! 😎

On 3/6/2022 at 1:56 PM, JGmf said:

It appeared it was "anything goes" on the Getaway on Feb27-Mar6. 

People wore their finest lawn mowing t-shirts and shorts in Cagney's, Haven restaurant, and La Cucina.  Really classy.

Sad that that's all they think of themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, mjkacmom said:

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Was in Cagney's on the Escape and a multi-generational family was eating dinner with both grandfather and father in denim shorts, plain white t shirt and baseball caps.  The father took it one step further and wore his backwards.

Well.....CC is finally back to talking how people dress.

Never understood people's inordinate amount of concern how other people dress.  Ambiance?  Seriously?  You want me to dress the way you want for your background?  So, the way I dress is part of the background "ambiance" for your pleasure?  Telling others how to dress in the background so YOU feel better?

Get's weirder and weirder in CC.

If you want to dress in a gown or a tux?  Go ahead....no one is stopping you.

I like NCL.  I have had my issues with them in the past, particularly over some of their less than stellar business tactics.  But, the way people dress on board, isn't anywhere near a concern of mine, nor anything that approaches being on my "list" of things I look at.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Was in Cagney's on the Escape and a multi-generational family was eating dinner with both grandfather and father in denim shorts, plain white t shirt and baseball caps.  The father took it one step further and wore his backwards.

I'd of been aghast, well if I had even noticed I would have been - NOT!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Never understood people's inordinate amount of concern how other people dress.  Ambiance?  Seriously? 

I personally never understood why someone would put in their signature the type of cabin they were staying in.   OK, so you have the funds to stay in the Haven on NCL or the Retreat on X, or the Yacht Club on MSC or an Aqua Theater Suite on RCI.  Glad to see you survived that obstructed view cabin on HAL back in 2006. 

I guess ambiance regarding the type of cabin you reside in is OK for you, but you look down your nose when others on the boards don't like it when other diners dress down in some venues. 🙄

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I'd of been aghast, well if I had even noticed I would have been - NOT!

If a backwards baseball cap, denim shorts and a plain white t shirt are appropriate for a steak house in whatever rural area of New England you live in, that's what you're used to.  I understand that Cagney's is not Morton's or the Capital Grille, but it is the steakhouse on board and minimum requirements like not wearing a baseball cap should be enforced.  But, it's NCL so what do you expect?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I personally never understood why someone would put in their signature the type of cabin they were staying in.

I must admit.....I never have signatures turned on. Out of curiosity, I turned signatures on after reading your post. OMG, how do people with signatures turned on manage to read posts? My finger hurts from scrolling down so much. 

Immediately turned signatures back off. 😁 

26 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I personally never understood why someone would put in their signature the type of cabin they were staying in.   OK, so you have the funds to stay in the Haven on NCL or the Retreat on X, or the Yacht Club on MSC or an Aqua Theater Suite on RCI.    

I guess ambiance regarding the type of cabin you reside in is OK for you, but you look down your nose when others on the boards don't like it when other diners dress down in some venues. 🙄

Glad to see you survived that obstructed view cabin on HAL back in 2006.   Wow you really went back to see what he posted as far back as 2006!?!  🥴

29 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

If a backwards baseball cap, denim shorts and a plain white t shirt are appropriate for a steak house in whatever rural area of New England you live in, that's what you're used to.  I understand that Cagney's is not Morton's or the Capital Grille, but it is the steakhouse on board and minimum requirements like not wearing a baseball cap should be enforced.  But, it's NCL so what do you expect?

in whatever rural area of New England you live in  last I checked, I was just outside of Boston city limits, you make quite the assumption of where I live in NE, now my daughter lives in the mountains in NH, you talk about rural.  But yes, I have eaten in Abe & Louis, Capitol Grille, wearing shorts, sandals, ballcap (not backwards I am not that uncouth) and a polo shirt.  Never been a problem, then I don't judge others, however they CHOOSE to dress, my dinner still tastes the same.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 3

I don't know how to make this any clearer.  I do not care what you wear on a cruise.

Nothing you say or do will make me care....one itty-bitty iota.

Wear a top hat.  That's fine.  Wear a baseball hat.  That's also fine.  Patent leather shoes?  Have at it.  Bow tie?  Sure, why not!  Izod shirt?  Of course, I like them.  Kilt?  Absolutely!

I do not care, that you care, what I wear on a cruise, either!  I do not care if anyone cares what ships I've sailed, what cabins I've stayed in, what excursions I've taken, where I've sailed to, where I've sailed from.

If my experiences can help someone because I've sailed on different cruise lines, on different ships, in different cabins, on different excursions, in different geographic locales, I'm happy to help.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don't know how to make this any clearer.  I do not care what you wear on a cruise.

Nothing you say or do will make me care....one itty-bitty iota.

Wear a top hat.  That's fine.  Wear a baseball hat.  That's also fine.  Patent leather shoes?  Have at it.  Bow tie?  Sure, why not!  Izod shirt?  Of course, I like them.  Kilt?  Absolutely!

I do not care, that you care, what I wear on a cruise, either!  I do not care if anyone cares what ships I've sailed, what cabins I've stayed in, what excursions I've taken, where I've sailed to, where I've sailed from.

If my experiences can help someone because I've sailed on different cruise lines, on different ships, in different cabins, on different excursions, in different geographic locales, I'm happy to help.

I’m sorry but I just don’t get it that people don’t know how to dress at a nice restaurant (on a cruise ship or anywhere else).  And yes, it does matter to me.  When people are dressed like slobs it adversely affects the atmosphere, at least for some of us.  Show some respect for others we do care and dress appropriately. Is it really that hard to put on a clean polo shirt and a nice pair of jeans? Nobody (well at least not me) is asking for you to put on a suit and tie.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Chicagoguy66 said:

I’m sorry but I just don’t get it that people don’t know how to dress at a nice restaurant (on a cruise ship or anywhere else).  And yes, it does matter to me.  When people are dressed like slobs it adversely affects the atmosphere, at least for some of us.  Show some respect for others we do care and dress appropriately. Is it really that hard to put on a clean polo shirt and a nice pair of jeans? Nobody (well at least not me) is asking for you to put on a suit and tie.

This is awesome, after just your 2nd post you got the hang of CC already, well done, I tip my ball cap to you as I enter Luminae.  Cheers!

• Haha 1

I couldn't care too much what someone else is wearing at a restaurant. I'm there to eat, I'm not attending a fashion week or red carpet event. I mean, unless someone rocks up in their birthday suit and it isn't a nudist cruise, It's none of my business. If the staff don't have an issue, why should I? And let's be honest, if what someone is wearing is going to cause you that much stress or put you off your food, you either don't have enough to worry about or you have bigger issues.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CielG22 said:

I couldn't care too much what someone else is wearing at a restaurant. I'm there to eat, I'm not attending a fashion week or red carpet event. I mean, unless someone rocks up in their birthday suit and it isn't a nudist cruise, It's none of my business. If the staff don't have an issue, why should I? And let's be honest, if what someone is wearing is going to cause you that much stress or put you off your food, you either don't have enough to worry about or you have bigger issues.

Or they and their dining companion have nothing to talk about at all during dinner, so rather than just stare at each not uttering a word, judging what others are wearing and not being to their liking, at least generates some conversation.

• Like 2

Late to this topic, but we were waiting to go into Ocean blue on Bliss a couple of years ago, prior to Covid. A family had a teenager who I guess was inappropriately dressed, I don’t remember what the issue might have been, but they refused him and told him that he had to come back dress appropriately.

so, I’m thinking that sometimes they do enforce the code. We always dress country club “nice“, so we never have an issue.  That includes our millennials… always pack a pair of khakis. Khakis and a clean polo shirt take you a long way. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, njpln said:

Khakis and a clean polo shirt take you a long way. 

From what I understand about the "official" NCL dress code, they will take you no further than a pair of jeans and a dirty polo shirt.

disclaimer: I don't own any jeans and my clothes are always clean.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, njpln said:

Late to this topic, but we were waiting to go into Ocean blue on Bliss a couple of years ago, prior to Covid. A family had a teenager who I guess was inappropriately dressed, I don’t remember what the issue might have been, but they refused him and told him that he had to come back dress appropriately.

so, I’m thinking that sometimes they do enforce the code. We always dress country club “nice“, so we never have an issue.  That includes our millennials… always pack a pair of khakis. Khakis and a clean polo shirt take you a long way. 

As I refuse to be a member of a country club, think Groucho Marx...what is "nice" in a country club?  I am 62 yo so it is really a redundant question, I already know the answer.  I have worn shorts and a polo and a ball cap, all laundered of course, lest I be judged, in many restaurants on a ship, never been refused service.

• Like 1

So great that you were never refused service.  Very few restaurants are likely to refuse you service based upon your attire.  But is that the only question?  Again, it’s just not that hard to look presentable.  Just pretend you live in a big city and go to restaurants not part of a big chain (e.g., Applebee’s).