Fav places to eat lunch at in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan

Cali Viajera

Ahoy, well traveled cruisers to Alaska! Our Covid delayed cruise to Alaska takes place this June. What are your recommendations for restaurants in the 3 main cruise ports? Never been to Alaska, we like anything!
Thank- you in advancešŸ˜„

• Like 1

Skagway....The Skagway Brewing Company...main street easy to find.

Juneau...Tracy's Crab Shack....Franklin St main street easy to find.

Ketchikan....Alaska Fish House...great fish-n-chips.

Ā 

We also love in Juneau the Alaskan Fudge Company

Ā 

Check to see if these are still open post covid.

One of the best suggestions is to watch where the crew head, when they go ashore.

Ā 

For us, we enjoy:

• Ketchikan - Burger Queen, a small shack across the street from the docks
  • Juneau - liquid lunch, with a visit to the Alaska Brewing brewery. Located a few miles out of downtown, the shop in downtown arranges tours.
  • Skagway - Skagway Brewing

Juneau:Ā  Alaska Fish & Chips for the best Halibut and chips I have ever had.Ā  It is a small restaurant in the green building at the head of the pier in Juneau.Ā  The other ports, I have not dined ashore in those ports.Ā  Yet.Ā Ā 

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

One of the best suggestions is to watch where the crew head, when they go ashore.

Ā 

For us, we enjoy:

• Ketchikan - Burger Queen, a small shack across the street from the docks
  • Juneau - liquid lunch, with a visit to the Alaska Brewing brewery. Located a few miles out of downtown, the shop in downtown arranges tours.
  • Skagway - Skagway Brewing

Burger Queen....just make sure to check their hours and days open. We didn't once and regretted it.

• Like 1

Our favorites:

Ā 

Skagway: Skagway Brewing Company

Ā 

Juneau: Ā The Hanger on the Wharf. Ā We find Tracy's rather overrated by tourists.

Ā 

Ketchikan: Ā We have two favorites here. Ā Annabelles, which is located downtown in the historic Gilmore Hotel; they feature seafood, including three types of seafood chowder (you can order a flight of the three chowders) but have other options. Ā And we also like the restaurant in the Cape Fox Lodge.

• 3 weeks later...

Not having tried too many places, I can say I enjoyedĀ 

Ā 

Juneau - Hangar in the Wharf (halibut is worth the upcharge)

Juneau - Tracyā€™s - King Crab (had snow crab the same meal; the King was so meaty and didnā€™t get cold before I could eat it. Ā They will give you extra melted butter.). Tried it for the first time in five cruises this past year. Should have gone sooner.Ā 
Skagway - Skagway Brewing Co.; we had the food, Ā not the drinks.

Ā 

We looked for salmon in Ketchikan, the Salmon Capital. Ā Only found it at one place - as fish and chips. No, thank you. Ā 

Ā 

Not ashamed to be a tourist.

When we did our Alaska cruise in August 2019 these were our port meals:

Ā 

Juneau:

Lunch - Deckhand Dave's Tacos. Open patio seating so the experience may somewhat depend on the weather. It was a beautiful day when we went so it was great. Some of the best fish tacos I've ever had. Short walk from dock. Google Maps says they are temporarily closed right now, hopefully they will reopen for the cruise season.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

x-GX-jans2FUo8QPQrXUok7Ng6eksjxPh6oKOgyNOYcV8HSiGPAXtZg9fQNM7kcJR8m533ZuvZE1NFItyTCLE2uqcynBy7U9NJfj8yFPb_fGKX8c1R5AM9gnmOSinrw1nTu_pfsthsvefQmBoCfgAYX4GvK5Jv0igk58BbC-DiEp_I9jHJn047-FM1gw68t8UaEBv5Vspi0vgbXMexpAWJC4d6Vjmnncw7Uf0alz_XdpxcZiuol4PTxgZ3FAVVQNU4VV6tjV5qoeiJPoBEbCiB191ScIezBt-rO6iFBr30SzcIhUw4iAL2dp5xpn7CMZ3B2w7fTfCNdZFlg5xJ96ekznThEBz4c05Uij2_HYOJ7zBFBBfK8_sy0I3jGlK-hG6fM3AaYaF57hy_hYV_P8e7Lv3jCoHxbxOTNjihEx1-URfjJ-HiA9sjzXwx90CA68ovGgiK9L57nA0DX8ZAGZTRGGZqsiN0wcPMtFbqrip1NuQyWO2GxCbY8hfpFYnfRbYc4gWMs3OhFAhtS-ti610ecL7RKF5B9SAEFHhi1z19dWO_UfaG55_potWKrQajH-zY4HWVDnPUBiWWC0tiiDRK_c-Mglrkl76z4gD93UU9MzO3bDEwzpyJkaRIH8cvAr6ItpNeDwFh49mq4s-BGFNF4CevsiPJ4NvOLdDeBlpGRqtLQu_7_bHlQNuGqQryOL2Luj5kAwHtxAgU2CmkAFtwvgfdiGrfM9yJ71P5_Iir7dyguZfYQH91beW1IeHI30Xg0kCs7JIk-7O_wWguRNoGU1B4UxyPWn5uE=w1331-h999-no?authuser=0

Ā 

Dinner - Tracy's King Crab - Maybe you have to be a big crab person but I was less than impressed. I remember it being very expensive and it is was super crowded with not enough places to sit. I think it's overrated.Ā 

Ā 

Skagway:

Dinner -Ā Skagway Brewing Co. This was recommended by our tour guide and it was super good. Local beer was good if you are in to that. Maybe it was the time but it was also very quiet when we went.

Ā 

cj2cqIaExBcIuMZ6qe0TXd4WPiah1prjvtfppx4sSHyjMiLc0Al4bFT3fuf9XhxsHgIDWN4LK49xEtuqED8-Go4vGNWSjRuxg_VlOFOCMqLzTmUKCiRUqNWUJ7OdOc9d9MO7FynnA6dFTOuXeruLVweYcpg3efwOaJaxMrcGgz_yM4YQiaeeGevwILrnsTs5nRS5_AsQK4olgVLzxvj1VCq24Imdu6nIVVESiMez4kQNzqMgsrKt_OWf4ltJCiSXDqoPCn7ptEYzTdAkzzRa_Una2gReIfU2A2AzURXTNqilc2rZ-CcPPlUv1YJc8a-Tk4cu2tlk6ZFYE5uiDtWkQdL6ZisNVJ00l1eOJtkAXqAHTh3Pxc8KDzhUGLUJjcLtfNlNvPxi4pJwEn1rDgHzWkT2oJjJDGxykx77NDKGOzweLUzuX981wOw2g3m8zvi5l_Lv7OWZ599z3hIlfz9iD7MZvnSYiRUY3HlmpT__ARoyFcxVirGLdAfUT_pFJtHPkaMNC2ouixTAAHnDQzyuUl6gxXnvSQjbTaZL7_WpyuL0iGRq8ClPsrm3pIp1Ffja2Z89au7y3OnO5QD2aC29qpX3J_blejABLkuCjoqjOdUXsBkaqTzGEmZbsDPYlMLn5sUAhdYELDSkGr-xUilkWxgap8uj0WTWePTYOw-jtLKY6jkz0MXeZDfZRPVGYiH2SjyqOgSqMEiBzYhbnRG41FSO20eFmq4m3cCqQGJ4KwTdu9OJ_uhWLnYmBVpWWf7BEcigafq9hndmBsQsmWAQrAwJD2ipmwFfABE=w1331-h999-no?authuser=0

Ā 

Ketchikan:

Breakfast - New York Cafe. Pretty good laid back little place. Good coffee and food. If I remember right this picture is the Salmon and Eggs.

Ā 

vs4DLD6rMILc2RW4g5ys6quFM4JDODbd9YpOet02gLDU-wzwk0o8LEDCJ0D849juLJNjyu4VJxM7Kq0OsZRl9KUtZyPVZ6gLzzvlVdB3R0WrVJGp7Ai2NSyJGbcV9VtgGaQgVVq948ht77G5RjK-4PD7-Kd65ZbYBHE7eUmLOBdcyQJDRuW6yZ8eFwDzXN_W0ikMX4DnFB5TbRgIFTjDgik1WoagQMOreePz0Xv3O_oWVlnMP7DxDI5ug3B_qIezr5gTfLKiaMYLuWZrF-Iig_gPFsin1fj8xMyqgODV9gU4xXWIoeyYAVThMB-uOewu_shYwvQob1s6DI53ZGfdkF89WhZHaYP0s8ztT9JxkFXxUdB6OrBrRQe4tDq8pk7DsdHyr5_oj_vxEFPPxGFdVz31_M8RCZD3Kjk3ExXcfCssKz9WmiY3OAVNSE_Ca2-uxbC0G2V9D_3dC2tycBpqq0dwQP1I2pwGXudIUjMfTZLi6Y56ejz_jDmIFlkOGi7qpRR_X-E9T_VGe68DNOMaDa4ZeoehUsSgLJFnsEUMUcltRKSLwWBcwWOpTBaLuYMBxvjNkRoKP9J0hbBGSQB356JKS-0zcbc_2tEcMTMwQasBBWLeXIgSw23Yi2yl00liufKtkiRmUcZdr0BGgvMwTnM9LzhNJh4Q_XB2fD1tM9wEcab2-IQJh3zER0d6o7fXrWryHWn7xpJQwdwfKX3FxO56nLezmRg7fJeMQqnevuP5LM3Nj3-CYos-W-52qTI-1FNQrxVTY49BkyG5L5iRIbmLD207eIyyocI=w911-h1214-no?authuser=0

Ā 

Lunch - Burger Queen. I remember it being good but I was anxious the whole time because we were almost late getting back to the ship on time, so I think that's coloring my memory.

With the food on the ship already paid for and so many tours and sights to see spending time dining in unknown places, menus, and possible allergens to worry about I say:

Ship

Ship

& Ship.

If you want to spend the money try the ship's specialties restaurants and eat when you get back from tours.Ā Ā 

sightcrr.Ā Ā 

Edited by SightCRR

Pretty sure we're all aware that we could eat on the ship.Ā 

Ā 

Having never been to Alaska, I'm probably also going to want to sample the local offerings.Ā  I know I'll want to have a local beer in Skagway.

Ā 

So I appreciate the OP starting a thread to ask about these three ports since I'll be on a B2B in June.Ā  I'll have the opportunity to either try a couple of places in each port, or return to one if I think it was outstanding.Ā  Or eat on the ship.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SightCRR said:

With the food on the ship already paid for and so many tours and sights to see spending time dining in unknown places, menus, and possible allergens to worry about I say:

Ship

Ship

& Ship.

If you want to spend the money try the ship's specialties restaurants and eat when you get back from tours.Ā Ā 

sightcrr.Ā Ā 

Ā 

With our current preferred smaller ship cruise line, I can see staying aboard for the quality of the meals. However, in addition to experiencing world wide cultures, we also travel to experience other cuisine & beer/wine.

Ā 

On our last cruise on a mainstream mega ship, we couldn't get off the ship quick enough, as the quality of the meals were poor. Another clue was the crew all heading ashore to eat.

Ā 

BTW - not all cruise line charge extra for the specialty/alternative restaurants. We certainly don't have to pay extra on our preferred cruise line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

How about Talkeetna

Ā 

It's been a few years since I have eaten in this establishment, but Talkeetna Roadhouse was a restaurant that I remember and enjoyed.Ā  2019, my Nephew and I stopped at Talkeetna for lunch on our way back to Anchorage.Ā  It think it was a brew pub type of restaurant.Ā  I do not remember its name, but, I enjoyed my lunch (and beer) that I ordered.Ā Ā 

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

However, in addition to experiencing world wide cultures, we also travel to experience other cuisine & beer/wine.

Ā 

As do I.Ā  That's part of the enjoyment in cruising for me.Ā  A Mai Tai in Hawaii, a Chianti in Rome, Halibut/Chips in Juneau:Ā  they always tastes better than they do in Dayton, Ohio.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 7:38 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Gilmore Hotel; they feature seafood, including three types of seafood chowder (you can order a flight of the three chowders) but have other options. Ā 

You have no idea how intrigued I am by this flight of 3 chowders. Ā It's become number one on my must do list. Ā Do you think we will need a reservation?

Ā 

On 3/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, Sandyrella said:

You have no idea how intrigued I am by this flight of 3 chowders. Ā It's become number one on my must do list. Ā Do you think we will need a reservation?

Ā 

Love Annsbellā€™s