What is going on with Scenic Cruises

mvjcruise

10 hours ago, packed already said:

Hi Sissi67

I am one of those people who heard yesterday that Scenic had cancelled our cruise so now I am sailing with you. It was a very stressful day yesterday but all has been sorted without too much inconvenience. I hope you are enjoying Basel, we still fly into Amsterdam, spend 2 nights there and then on the 11th we fly to Zurich and are then transferred to the ship.

I look forward to meeting you.

Enjoy your next couple of days, we fly out from Sydney tonight.

Good for you for taking it all in stride! We are happy to have you join us 😊

Looking forward to meeting you, we all will certainly breathe a sigh of relief once we’re onboard! Safe travels, see you on Monday!

13 hours ago, flyfishing37 said:

We just received word this morning that our April 28 departure on Amber from Budapest to Nuremburg was cancelled. No explanation other than "global conditions." We were given the option to take later dates,  all with reverse itineraries. Less than three weeks out and all of our travel plans made. 

This is really becoming distressing.  

19 hours ago, paul21 said:

Just received docs from my TA 11 calendar days from departure. Car transfer vouchers were included, and the docs said the room tier onboard credit would be applied electronically.

paul21,

First congrats on receiving your final docs.  Crazy that something that should be so normal should feel so out of the ordinary--hope Scenic is getting things settled down and back on track.

A couple of questions for you, please?  Did all the docs from your TA arrive electronically?  Also, could you tell me about the "car transfer vouchers"?  It's somewhat confusing trying to figure out the conditions for Scenic's transfers--in places they seem to suggest they are provided for all and in others only on the day of arrival.  A voucher would seem to suggest there is more flexibility--not just a Scenic rep meeting you at the airport on the day of embarkation.  We're planning on flying in one day before the land portion of our Scenic cruisetour begins and staying a night on our dime at the same hotel used by Scenic.  Trying to figure out if we need to make transfer arrangements on our own or if Scenic will provide them.

Many thanks,

2 hours ago, loriva said:

paul21,

First congrats on receiving your final docs.  Crazy that something that should be so normal should feel so out of the ordinary--hope Scenic is getting things settled down and back on track.

A couple of questions for you, please?  Did all the docs from your TA arrive electronically?  Also, could you tell me about the "car transfer vouchers"?  It's somewhat confusing trying to figure out the conditions for Scenic's transfers--in places they seem to suggest they are provided for all and in others only on the day of arrival.  A voucher would seem to suggest there is more flexibility--not just a Scenic rep meeting you at the airport on the day of embarkation.  We're planning on flying in one day before the land portion of our Scenic cruisetour begins and staying a night on our dime at the same hotel used by Scenic.  Trying to figure out if we need to make transfer arrangements on our own or if Scenic will provide them.

Many thanks,

Yes all the docs were electronic. I would say none of them are really required before boarding, however, as there is no luggage tag etc., and the health form is a simple day-of type thing. The numbers for all the ships are listed if someone needs one. 

For the private car transfer, we have a listed reservation with our flight info, and the docs say to go to a specific place in the airport where a scenic rep would be. However it also lists a number for the car transfer company directly and says to call if we miss the transfer. In a separate doc are two vouchers that say from airport to ship, passenger names, and the company again with a confirmation number. I'm not sure if you can apply the voucher or not to a different pickup location, but there's at least the option to call and try I suppose? I'm not sure what we would have gotten if the flight info was not provided by us.

There is also language in the T&C that says the transfer can be from the airport or scenic hotel to the ship, but I'm not sure how you'd get that officially booked. It also mentions rail stations, but we were told those are not allowed through another channel, so I'm not sure what the final word is there.

As for who gets private transfers, it's either Royal suites or Platinum level club members. I think everyone else is on their own unless there is a pre-cruise tour booked. My guess is a shuttle will be at the hotel, but I'm not sure if you can just hop on it or not. The docs basically say you're on your own otherwise, but they seem at least partially tailored to us. 

• Thanks 1

Paul21 in the U.K. we’ve always had transfers from the airport or train station to the ship and it depends on how many are being carried as to the type of vehicle, but sometimes if transfers are included we have been picked up from home to the airport or Eurostar station, sometimes with a distance clause that you pay for the extra miles, usually still a more economical choice.

52 minutes ago, paul21 said:

For the private car transfer, we have a listed reservation with our flight info, and the docs say to go to a specific place in the airport where a scenic rep would be. However it also lists a number for the car transfer company directly and says to call if we miss the transfer. In a separate doc are two vouchers that say from airport to ship, passenger names, and the company again with a confirmation number. I'm not sure if you can apply the voucher or not to a different pickup location, but there's at least the option to call and try I suppose? I'm not sure what we would have gotten if the flight info was not provided by us.

At least on the U.S. version of the Trip Personalizer, it will not let us add our flights UNLESS we are arriving on the day the package starts.  It gives me an error message and switches the status to "incomplete" when I try.  We've asked our TA to try to find out (if she can reach Scenic without too much trouble.)  Otherwise, we'll give BlackLane a try.

Thanks for answering my questions, paul21!

We are doing an Emerald cruise in June and arriving in Lisbon 3 days earlier. We were able to input our air info.  

On an Emerald cruise in October we arrived a couple days early in Budapest and we’re staying at the hotel they use. We were met at the airport and transported to the hotel. Also at the end we spent extra night in Bucharest and received transportation to airport 

Edited by Buckeye 6
New information

Personally I have never heard of anyone turned down for transport but have heard of several instances where passengers have been added to a group of travellers even though for whatever reason they really shouldn’t have been. Once it was obvious that it was done by the third party company to keep in with Scenic, now this could be a really good reason, helps keep the ‘ contract’ makes the ‘customer happy’ perceived to look good in ‘Scenics eyes’. Ok small country here but the the majority of the transfers in the U.K. are carried out by one company and they are good. 

Just to let everyone know that we arrived in Bordeaux on time and boarded Scenic Diamond without any problems and everything seems fine and well organised on board..The service and attention is excellent. I understand the ship is about 50% full.

Writing this as we spend Saturday morning cruising in really nice spring sunshine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK6 said:

Just to let everyone know that we arrived in Bordeaux on time and boarded Scenic Diamond without any problems and everything seems fine and well organised on board..The service and attention is excellent. I understand the ship is about 50% full.

Writing this as we spend Saturday morning cruising in really nice spring sunshine.

Wonderful news! We sailed the Beautiful Bordeaux itinerary with Scenic in September 2021, and it was one of our favorite trips. If you are in to biking, you will love some of the daily itineraries. 

It was on our Bordeaux cruise that on one bike excursion day so many signed up for it they went out and actually hired more bikes. They split up into several groups which was mainly by ability. That evening it was fairly obvious that great fun was had by all and several had used muscles not often used before.

12 hours ago, Buckeye 6 said:

We are doing an Emerald cruise in June and arriving in Lisbon 3 days earlier. We were able to input our air info.  

On an Emerald cruise in October we arrived a couple days early in Budapest and we’re staying at the hotel they use. We were met at the airport and transported to the hotel. Also at the end we spent extra night in Bucharest and received transportation to airport 

Thanks.  I can input our flight information into the Trip Personalizer, but only by marking the box "I will be making my own arrangements and do not require a transfer."  That brings up a second warning to check:  "By ticking that you/your clients are Under Own Arrangements you understand that transfers will not be provided. Please provide your travel arrangements for the evening prior to joining your cruise/tour to allow us to contact you for any late or urgent updates to your journey."

When I try to input flight arrangements otherwise, it brings up this warning:  "You don't appear to be joining this tour by a connecting flight. To provide a transfer to the tour your flights must match below requirements.
Arrive Rhine with Alpine Highlights & Oberammergau (GOAC150622.2) Vienna (VIE) 15 Jun 2022."

So, not sure if this reflects a change by Scenic--transfers ONLY if joining cruise or tour on the day for departure or if the website is just stricter than actual practice.  Will make own transfer arrangements from the airport to hotel and then be pleasantly surprised if Scenic sends us transfer vouchers.

Many thanks,

If there the same as ours there quite good we’ve collected a few. So as our daughter and son in law are involved with Scouts and Duke of Edinburghs Award we’ve passed them on and have been extremely well received. Not large but more of a days hiking size.

• Like 1

New to site-booked on Scenic Opal leaving Budapest May 9th-anyone else on that one? It's been CRAZY dealing with Scenic. I've heard that they cancelled 2 cruises: April 11 (Jasper) and April 28 (Amber). Any additional that anyone knows of?

On 4/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, paul21 said:

The numbers for all the ships are listed if someone needs one. 

paul21,

Could you post the number for the Scenic Jade, please?  If it's not too much trouble for you, taking a photo of the numbers for the ships and posting the whole thing would likely be greatly appreciated by many.  Maybe Host Jazzbeau could even add it to the sticky on Contacting your River Cruise Line.

Many thanks,