CCL Stock Price

annlee

5 hours ago, Peira said:

Ombud,

I don't understand. What does "bought at 8" mean? The stock hasn't been at 8 since '93.

Bought at 8 and have received:

8/21 Alaska: 100

12/21 Caribbean: 100

Pending:

4/21 Pacific Northwest: 100

9/22 Transatlantic: 250

3/23 Australia -> Asia: 250

Thats 8 so I'm even??

March 29, 2020 CCL had a low price of $7.80 per share. If Ombud bought the shares on March 29, 2020 she overpaid for them.😉

Edit: In addition April 2, 2020, which is the date Ombud states they purchased the shares the low price was $7.80 per share.

Edited by brisalta

When the dividend was paid, CCL/CUK, on the numbers, was not a terrible widows-and-orphans income stock.  Very little debt, reasonable P/E, decent dividend yield.  I could see owning a lot of it if I were an income investor with some risk tolerance (a rare bird indeed) who can weather 2023. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

In addition to buying CCL, I also bought enough for the shareholder benefit on Norwegian and only need 15 shares of RCL to get their benefit.  (As Princess has reduced the benefits of being an Elite- at least to me!, these other lines prices are a lot more competitive, so my loyalty is, on paper anyway, mobile).   

In the PreCovid days, I earned quite a bit of the 'special dividend' that the shareholder benefit provides.  If you use the product (cruise frequently), then this offers a huge benefit, at reasonable prices ( even IF you have to buy the stock to get the credit!).  

IF you had to buy 100 shares at say $22 a share, and get the $100 on board credit, that is already a 4.5% return!  

With mask mandates coming down, and as long as Covid cases are heading back down, more people will return to cruising and profits will soon return.

It may take a while to get back to paying a dividend given the massive borrowing that was necessary to keep running these last 2 years, but I am sure that it wont be long before $22 will be a price people brag about buying at!

(Of course, if you are a contrarian, then $22 is a great price to Sell at IF the price drops to $10!!)

With what is happening in the world and probably a major economic downturn coming and everything costing more I do not believe cruise lines are going to be a prudent buy......cruise line costs are going to go up no matter what.....and American budgets are going to have a lot less spend left for vacations such as cruising......

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I agree with you.  What's more, with the massive dilution, it will be at least 10 years before they'll have an earnings per share amount as large as in 2019.  That's IF they execute perfectly and cruising demand is much more than expected.  

That doesn't even take into account the massive amount of debt they've added, which curtails any expansion plans for growth because they won't have the capital to build new ships (not that I think the demand will be there anyway).  On top of which the huge interest rates on their debt will be a large drag on earnings for years to come.

All stocks are priced on "stories" in the short run.  In the long run, the NUMBERS are the ONLY thing that will matter.  With the hundreds of posts if not more I've seen on cruise line stocks in these forums, I've never once seen anyone actually justify the stock price or the potential for it with any sort of even a half-ass analysis. 

This is all before even considering that CCL is actually subject to go bankrupt in the next few years if things go wrong and the macro environment can easily make that happen.  CCL as with most stocks will invariably have plenty of short term runs with the normal ebbs and flows of the market and/or the cruising/travel industry.   If you're going to buy CCL, unless you need it for OBC, you may as well just buy the entire market to eliminate the risk of relying on one company, let alone CCL whose fundamentals look HORRIBLE for years into the future.

i think you are spot on….. cruising and travel are going to have some significant challenges ahead of them which will not easily be to over come…..the hey day of CCL stock is probably not coming back

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

March 29, 2020 CCL had a low price of $7.80 per share. If Ombud bought the shares on March 29, 2020 she overpaid for them.😉

Edit: In addition April 2, 2020, which is the date Ombud states they purchased the shares the low price was $7.80 per share.

Yes I did not buy at the low of the day on the shares I'm still holding. But the other 200 shares were sold at enough of a profit to wipe out my paper loss (those 300 shares were in IRA. 1st bought at 56, dividends & OBC had me recovering 13, sold at 25. Net loss of $1800 but made that up when I sold 200 shares at 19+. Still say I'm even.) Now I just hold in my brokerage acct to get OBC 

• Like 2

I bought at 8 as well.

It was just an $800 lark.

I'm hoping to not lose money.  🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirclean said:

only need 15 shares of RCL to get their benefit. 

I thought all 3 corps required 100 shares to get shareholder obc 

3 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I bought at 8 as well.

It was just an $800 lark.

I'm hoping to not lose money.  🙂

Cruise 5 times and you won't. 

On March 18, 2020 for a short time, we jumped in at $8.37 . Missed that low of $7.80, but this is the first individual stock pick for us. Saw it go above 30 in June of 21 for awhile, but very happy to have held and gotten the $250  for a soon to be

14 nighter! ☺️👍

Edited by bjworm
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

I thought all 3 corps required 100 shares to get shareholder obc 

Cruise 5 times and you won't. 

I always cringe when I read posts here like:  "I've never bought stock before, how can I get this benefit."

People need to clearly think that this was a stock that went from over $60, to under $8 due to covid.

That's $6000+ investment to less than $800

Just, please be aware of the risk.

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I always cringe when I read posts here like:  "I've never bought stock before, how can I get this benefit."

People need to clearly think that this was a stock that went from over $60, to under $8 due to covid.

Where did I give the impression that I was new to trading?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

The risk was not limited to cruise stocks. Because of Covid almost every stock dropped by significant amounts. Anyone invested in the stock market, either directly or indirectly saw great reductions in the value of holdings.

Some stocks have recovered and gone on to new highs. Some have still not reached their prices before the crash and some are well below their highs such as CCL.

But, as someone pointed out, there is no loss unless you sell the stock.

My CCL stock was not purchased anywhere near its high, but I still have a "paper loss." But I have larger paper losses in other stocks.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

If you are buying stocks expecting a constant upswing, you should not be buying stock.  You buy what you can afford to lose and set your exit points (10% trailing stop?) unless buying Index ETFs in the core portion of your portfolio for the long term (ie: 5+ yrs).  It's no different than any other type of gambling for some.  You win some and you lose some.  

I'm a little suspicious of this counter trend rally. Will my portfolio be worth more in 5 yrs? Probably.  Will it be worth more in 6 months? ⁉️😕⁉️

Does this have anything to do with cruising? No

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

Where did I give the impression that I was new to trading?

When I wrote:

"I always cringe when I read posts here like:  "I've never bought stock before, how can I get this benefit."

...I did not intend that to apply to any poster, including you, personally.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

If you are buying stocks expecting a constant upswing, you should not be buying stock.  You buy what you can afford to lose.  It's no different than any other type of gambling.  You win some and you lose some.  

So true......stock market is nothing more than the biggest crap table in the world.....it is all a gamble nothing more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sirclean said:

(I am aware that I need 100)  I already have 85 shares, acquired at low prices.  I was waiting for the price to drop below 60 for the last 15, but it hasnt!  

Below $60??????? CCL closed the week at $21.10!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/24/2022 at 12:38 PM, Peira said:

Ombud,

I don't understand. What does "bought at 8" mean? The stock hasn't been at 8 since '93.

Bought at 8 and have received:

8/21 Alaska: 100

12/21 Caribbean: 100

Pending:

4/21 Pacific Northwest: 100

9/22 Transatlantic: 250

3/23 Australia -> Asia: 250

Thats 8 so I'm even??

I bought 130 shares on 4/2/2020 at $8.12

• Like 3