Millennium LIVE Suite Review w/ Kid (3/3-3/7)

GenerationX

6 hours ago, GenerationX said:

REAL CONVERSATIONS FROM MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Gen X:  [scrolling phone] Well honey it looks like there’s only a couple of summer cruises from the US that will work with your summer camp and horse show schedules.  One is to Alaska and the other is another Caribbean.

Gen Z: OHHHH! LET’S DO ALASKA! I always wanted to go to ALASKA!

Gen X: OK! Let me run these numbers…oh…uh oh…looks like the Retreat is sold out on that one, doll.  But no worries! We don’t really need a suite, we can do an Aqua class room instead, they’re very nice and have a private dining room too, we just won’t have Luminae or a butler or the Retreat lounge and the concierges like Ms. Milca and Ms. Patricia.

Gen Z:  WAIT!!!! Um…on second thought, the Caribbean sounds great! We can get suite class on that one, right?

Dear Neptune, what monster have I created?

The thing about Alaska is you can be so busy between the ports & scenery Gen Z will be too exhausted to know she’s in Aqua Class 😉

• Like 1

Really had a lovely time on this cruise! Enjoyed meeting you both very much! I supposed I didn't run into you as much as I expected as I ended up spending most evenings at Cellar Masters, Rendez Vous Lounge, and Martini Bar chatting to the amazing bartenders there (and fellow guests.) I suppose GenZ wasn't a regular at the bars!

That said, the service at those bars (and, of course, really everywhere on the ship) was so top notch. I met several who I will keep in touch with on social media. One thing I had realized is that a couple mentioned that many on the cruise ships take the jobs because they love to travel, so it is particularly hard on them that they can't get off the ship (due to COVID protocols.) Makes the time go much more slowly for them, in a negative way. They also can't access supplies as easily - one asked me in case I happened to see any body lotion if I wouldn't mind bringing her some from Nassau - I picked some up in a pharmacy for her. You'd think I brought her a bar of gold - she was so happy (and her colleagues were jealous - I hadn't even thought to ask others if they need anything - I'm sure that would have been more helpful than cash tips [which of course I also gave.])

I will definitely cruise with Celebrity again!

• Like 7

On 3/7/2022 at 9:23 AM, NBliving said:

Love the matching dresses! I’m sad I’ve probably missed the boat on getting my 26 year old daughter to wear matching dresses if we get a chance to cruise together 😂

I don’t know, I’m nearly 40 and if my mom offered to take me on a free cruise on the condition that we wear matching dresses to dinner every night, I’d probably take her up on the deal. You may have cards to play here! 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

Hi Gen X,

love your reviews and have followed a couple now without joining in but had to this time!

As a fellow gen Xer who has to book cruises around work schedules and horse shows I understand the problems involved. My cruise buddy also runs the horse-racing track in our town so summer cruises are basically out for us, mind you, cruises haven't yet started up again for us Australians so it's not a big consideration for us at the moment!

My show horse, Magic says Hi to Gen Z and says he agrees with her pick of the Caribbean, Alaska sounds way too cold for him!

magic.JPG

Oh I’m so glad you decided to join in!  Your partner is a handsome fellow (and from the looks of those ribbons you’re a talented team)!  Gen Z is just starting dressage lessons and hopes to be an eventer someday.  I ride hunter-jumpers but never had the nerve for the cross country, so she’s already braver than me!

I hope things continue to loosen up so that you can get back to cruising soon.

Cheers to those of us with TWO extremely costly addictions!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChrisNY2 said:

Really had a lovely time on this cruise! Enjoyed meeting you both very much! I supposed I didn't run into you as much as I expected as I ended up spending most evenings at Cellar Masters, Rendez Vous Lounge, and Martini Bar chatting to the amazing bartenders there (and fellow guests.) I suppose GenZ wasn't a regular at the bars!

That said, the service at those bars (and, of course, really everywhere on the ship) was so top notch. I met several who I will keep in touch with on social media. One thing I had realized is that a couple mentioned that many on the cruise ships take the jobs because they love to travel, so it is particularly hard on them that they can't get off the ship (due to COVID protocols.) Makes the time go much more slowly for them, in a negative way. They also can't access supplies as easily - one asked me in case I happened to see any body lotion if I wouldn't mind bringing her some from Nassau - I picked some up in a pharmacy for her. You'd think I brought her a bar of gold - she was so happy (and her colleagues were jealous - I hadn't even thought to ask others if they need anything - I'm sure that would have been more helpful than cash tips [which of course I also gave.])

I will definitely cruise with Celebrity again!

Hi

Dont want to highjack the thread but……

I only read an article a few days ago re crew supplies,deodorants,snacks personal hygiene products etc…..

The do have crew supermarkets on board,,,well on RCL they do,,as the article refers to RCL.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwil2ZySmrn2AhVOXsAKHe_FBCMQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ladbible.com%2Fnews%2Fnews-cruise-ship-worker-reveals-secret-supermarket-for-staff-20210904&usg=AOvVaw30exgPIo_tYmgAY9p9iG26

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Dont want to highjack the thread but……

I only read an article a few days ago re crew supplies,deodorants,snacks personal hygiene products etc…..

The do have crew supermarkets on board,,,well on RCL they do,,as the article refers to RCL.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwil2ZySmrn2AhVOXsAKHe_FBCMQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ladbible.com%2Fnews%2Fnews-cruise-ship-worker-reveals-secret-supermarket-for-staff-20210904&usg=AOvVaw30exgPIo_tYmgAY9p9iG26

Yes! But apparently the supplies (at least in this Celebrity crew member's experience) are so limited right now for various reasons, that certain items get sold out almost immediately, so she hadn''t been able to get body lotion in a long time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisNY2 said:

Yes! But apparently the supplies (at least in this Celebrity crew member's experience) are so limited right now for various reasons, that certain items get sold out almost immediately, so she hadn''t been able to get body lotion in a long time.

Hi Chris

Fair enough,,,,,it’s just that I hear so many posters say crew have to go ashore for basics I was surprised when I found that video,,,,I never knew they had crew supermarkets on cruise ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Chris

Fair enough,,,,,it’s just that I hear so many posters say crew have to go ashore for basics I was surprised when I found that video,,,,I never knew they had crew supermarkets on cruise ships.

We took the ship's tour on Edge.  I've done tours on other ships before, but this was the first time I saw the "supermarket".  At the time, it was pretty well stocked but it's certainly no Walgreens or CVS with all the brands that the crew may prefer.  

12 hours ago, peanut head said:

Magic looks fascinated by whoever is in the dressage arena now.  I bet his AI package includes unlimited carrots.🐴

You would be correct on the unlimited carrots and his other favourites are mints, english Polo Mints or peppermint Life Savers delight him, not that he's spoilt or anything!

@GenerationX we often laugh about our expensive hobbies, oh well, I guess something has to keep us working!

12 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

You would be correct on the unlimited carrots and his other favourites are mints, english Polo Mints or peppermint Life Savers delight him, not that he's spoilt or anything!

@GenerationX we often laugh about our expensive hobbies, oh well, I guess something has to keep us working!

I'm another with the same two expensive hobbies - so glad to know I am not alone!!! Your horse is so handsome @LincolnLegend!  Best of luck to @GenerationX/Gen Z and to you for a fun, safe, and in the ribbons horse show season!

• Like 2

Hey CC!

I’m finally coming back to finish my review of Gen Z and I’s adventure.

First a few post-cruise reports:

I am pleased to share that at no point in our cruise were any positive COVID cases announced (even with removal of passenger masking requirements) and Gen Z and I both took home tests immediately post cruise and then 7 days after and remained COVID negative!

As we were unpacking in STL, I noticed that a few clothing items of Gen Z’s were missing and realized that I must’ve forgotten to pack a drawer in our stateroom (that’s what happens when you do your packing post-martini bar silent disco party).  I filled out Celebrity’s online form to report items left onboard and received an auto reply stating that I would be contacted about my items in 7 business days.  We’re now approaching 3 weeks post cruise and still crickets.  Fortunately most of what was in that drawer are things she’ll have outgrown by summer anyway, but there was one brand new swimsuit in there.  Oh well, lesson learned.

I also noticed when I got home and opened the email from Celebrity with our final statement, that there was a $30 mini bar charge on it for the last night.  I found that vexing given the conversation I’d had with my butler in which he’d said not to worry about charges for any mini fridge beverages as he’d be happy to restock them for me complimentary.  I wasn’t going to try and call Celebrity after the fact and dispute though as I know the official Celebrity policy is that mini fridge beverages are not included in the premium beverage package or in the Celebrity suite perks, so our butler was doing it as a favor for us.  I’d checked our account on the stateroom TV after dinner that last night and the charge wasn’t there (and figured all was well as we didn’t plan to spend any more money in the last few hours of the cruise), so it must’ve been added very late or early the next morning.  

Lesson learned here (fortunately not too expensively learned): always look at the email with your final statement BEFORE leaving the ship while there’s time to have a respectful conversation as needed about any misunderstandings.

Ok so, final thoughts on our trip…

I asked Gen Z to write a quote from her that I could put in the review about what she thought about Celebrity and her first cruise.  In Gen Z’s own words:

“Celebrity Cruises is the best vacation! They make you feel like a Princess all the time!  You can tell everyone is smiling at you even though they have masks on. The captain and hotel boss are really nice.  Camp at Sea rules! Make friends with Ms. Vicky and Ms. Vita, they are so friendly and they give you hot chocolate and gelato!  And you can get all the cupcakes you want at the coffee shop FOR FREE!!!!!!  The ladies at the desk in retreat lounge are fairy god mothers.  You get to just eat scones while they get you whatever you want.  I didn’t want to go home. I had so much fun with my mommy.  If you know how to party do the silent disco.  I really miss the food at the suite restaurant and Mr. MacQueen telling me jokes and getting me donuts every morning.  I hope I get to go on a Celebrity cruise again really really really really really really really really really really really really soon!!!!!!!!!!!!”

TLDR: Mini Me is one of us now!

I am so glad that Gen Z seems to love cruising Celebrity as much as I do. While I think I’ll still want to do solo and just hubby and I cruises, it’s great to know that this is another mother-daughter and family vacation option that will work well for us.

I’ve often seen comments on Celebrity-related forums make the blanket statement that Celebrity “is not a good cruise line for kids”.  After this cruise, I think a more fair statement would be that Celebrity is not a great cruise line for EVERY kid.

As I mentioned in my first post, I think there’s a big difference between kid-friendly and kid-focused.  How excited, bored or overwhelmed a child will be with any given vacation atmosphere will depend a lot on their personality and what they’re accustomed to.  

Celebrity is 100% NOT a kid FOCUSED cruise line.  However based on what Gen Z and I experienced on the Millennium, my personal opinion is that they do an excellent job of being kid friendly.

This kid friendliness may be a controversial shift (hey, when is change ever not controversial?), but I think it makes sense given the (perhaps also controversial) new demographic that Celebrity seems to be targeting.  If you’ve seen a Celebrity tv commercial in the past few months (I’d like to know who hasn’t, it seems like they’re stalking me every time I watch a cooking show or Below Deck) it very much comes off as selling to a younger demographic.  Guess what most people these days in their 30’s and 40’s with the means to afford a Celebrity Cruise have (especially when more are delaying starting a family in order to achieve professional and financial goals first)?  Yep, kids.  

Parents you know your children best, if your kids don’t need the “theme park” atmosphere in order to be entertained, it may be worth trying out a short Celebrity itinerary to see if it’s a good fit.

As someone who has enjoyed and will continue to enjoy also sailing Celebrity sans child, am I at all worried that Celebrity will turn into a cruise line with hundreds of children running around onboard? Absolutely not.

As long as there are cruise ships out there with water slides and laser tag and roller coasters and kids movie character shows/parades/dining experiences, I think most families will gravitate to that experience, and zero judgement for families who enjoy it. 

As for us, while we had a blast during our half day at the water park at the kid filled resort in the Bahamas, I was very much aware that a half day of that atmosphere was just about enough for us, and an entire vacation spent in that vibe would be neither fun nor relaxing for me or Gen Z by day 4 or 5 of it in our faces nonstop.

Plus fortunately, for those seeking a 100% kid free cruising experience, it seems like there are more options available these days.

Gen Z and I made so many special memories during our cruise together and while there were little hiccups here and there, overall the crew of the Millennium made it such a fantastic experience for us both.

So, what’s next for me in cruising?  Well, there have actually been a couple of changes to my future cruise itinerary since my last review!

In July Jeremy and I were scheduled to sail to Alaska on Eclipse, but due to airfare costs and a great price during a fare sale (had to make room in the travel budget for a couple more cruises, see below), instead we will be sailing on Summit to Bermuda!  

After that I was supposed to take a fall cruise hiatus, but I stumbled on a really good price for an E-class solo cabin, so in November I will be sailing solo on Beyond!

Gen Z is also bound and determined to get back on a ship ASAP, so we’re currently shopping cruises that will work over her winter break in December/January.  

A huge thank you to everyone who followed along with us and to everyone hitting the seas this spring, bon voyage!

B096C952-AA41-42D2-89EC-72DC91A6EB3F.thumb.jpeg.09c61e581b1bbe3ab4d91a9c562c13e7.jpeg

778D31DD-9EDD-483D-A620-DB1CB728A120.thumb.jpeg.abda0c2f9c5eb5c07362a4809f976c72.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2