First time with a separate room for our kids

LincolnLog

After 8 cruises with our family of four sharing a room, we are FINALLY springing for another room for our 15 and 13 year old kids, woohoo! I booked a balcony for us with an inside for the kids directly across the hall. As excited as we are for this, the thought just now hit me that this might cause some problems. I listed myself and my son in one room and my wife and daughter in the other with the intention of us just switching once onboard. But will Carnival allow us to do that? I never thought that it might be frowned upon for two minors to be in a room without adults. If we go to guest services will they let us have an extra key to each other’s room? 

• Like 1

GTG, they will have no problem with that. You could even book it that way if you use a PVP or call in to book. The online booking engine won't allow it as someone MUST be 21 or over in each cabin. Guest services will get you any additional keys to accommodate your sleeping arrangements as you require. You should have no problems getting squared away once onboard.  

• Thanks 1

We did that a few times. Nice to have a cabin without clothes on the floor. Rules, required to report in, leave us notes where going etc,. Make sure to keep copies of keys for adults to get into their cabin. Also if break your rules they will be sitting by you on a chair as your sidekick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am so jealous! I have 3 year old twins and I cannot wait for the time that we can do that! Some of these 3rd & 4th person charges are so high I could easily buy another room. We’re just not there yet unless we really want the parents to split up for the night with the kids. 

I always put our kids in a separate cabin. My youngest is 10. It's nice to have that extra space. As cruisingguy said, kids are allowed to have their own cabin without an adult being booked in the same cabin. You just can't do it on the website. 

• Thanks 1

Be sure to let us know how it goes LincolnLog! My wife and I are doing same thing for first time this August.  Our 14 and 11 year old daughters will be getting an inside cabin while we chillax with a balcony.    This has become necessary since kids can check themselves out of camp and interrupt things that they cant unsee. 😉

• Haha 4

We are doing the same thing on our Spring Break cruise.  My boys are 14 and 16.  It was was cheaper to book 2 cabins than have all of us in one room.  Not to mention how nice it will be for all of us.   I just realized that we will probably need to link our reservation so our dining tables are with each other.  I can't wait for our cruise!

18 minutes ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

We are doing the same thing on our Spring Break cruise.  My boys are 14 and 16.  It was was cheaper to book 2 cabins than have all of us in one room.  Not to mention how nice it will be for all of us.   I just realized that we will probably need to link our reservation so our dining tables are with each other.  I can't wait for our cruise!

If you booked the cabins they will be linked already. It will show "booked by" you on both reservations. Only folks that book their own cabins need to be linked. I've booked multiple cabins and have never needed to link them except when my buddy cruised with us last time for our birthdays and book/paid for his own cabin. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

6 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

I always put our kids in a separate cabin. My youngest is 10. It's nice to have that extra space. As cruisingguy said, kids are allowed to have their own cabin without an adult being booked in the same cabin. You just can't do it on the website. 

Guest services wouldn't care about the keys and whatnot but "officially" worth mentioning:

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Yes, they will allow you to change rooms and the room keys after you get on the ship. I know this because my mother's 2nd husband once bailed on a cruise so we took my Dad instead and he didn't want to stay with my Mom/his ex-wife so he talked my son into changing rooms with him and he stayed with my brother and my Mom with my son.  CCL was very accommodating.

And, yes, you can book children in their own cabin so long as they are across the hallway or next door to the adults in a non-balcony room...although, I know my last statement is true for younger kids.  It may be that since your kids are over 12 they don't even have to be next door or across the hall.  Mine have to be because they are under 12, but I think there is a different rule for older kids.  You can also limit what your kids can spend on their sail and sign card.  I would recommend doing this.  

My DDs have been across the hall in an inside room since they were 10 and 12 but they also had my mom with them.  I made sure they had singles to tip room service because sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies delivered to your room is fancy living!  Once they reached the advanced ages of 13 and 15 and my mom wasn't available, they had their own inside room.  Oh so independent!  They still had to check in with us but overall it was fun seeing them step up into "big girl" living, even if we were just across the hall.😉

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

My DDs have been across the hall in an inside room since they were 10 and 12 but they also had my mom with them.  I made sure they had singles to tip room service because sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies delivered to your room is fancy living!  Once they reached the advanced ages of 13 and 15 and my mom wasn't available, they had their own inside room.  Oh so independent!  They still had to check in with us but overall it was fun seeing them step up into "big girl" living, even if we were just across the hall.😉

My boys are so excited to have their own room.   I love cruising with my kids because we spend so much time together.   It will be interesting how this trip differs.  We have all decided we will not be getting any internet packages and they all willingly agreed that they would rather not get it.  I was shocked.  I never thought of room service, you are right I can imagine them ordering it often and living the good life!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

My boys are so excited to have their own room.   I love cruising with my kids because we spend so much time together.   It will be interesting how this trip differs.  We have all decided we will not be getting any internet packages and they all willingly agreed that they would rather not get it.  I was shocked.  I never thought of room service, you are right I can imagine them ordering it often and living the good life!

I also ordered a 12 pack of waters for their room.  My DDs like having easy access to water but not a big fan of drinking bathroom sink water. 😎

9 hours ago, Buckeye_Siggy said:

Be sure to let us know how it goes LincolnLog! My wife and I are doing same thing for first time this August.  Our 14 and 11 year old daughters will be getting an inside cabin while we chillax with a balcony.    This has become necessary since kids can check themselves out of camp and interrupt things that they cant unsee. 😉

There is definitely ZERO privacy in a cruise ship cabin with four people in it 😂

Between that, the lack of enough storage, and bonking our heads on pull down bunks for years, we are definitely looking forward to this. I’m interested to see how this trip is different from past trips. We won’t be getting our kids any kind of internet package either. But they are at the age where they like to sleep late so without us in the same room waking them up, we might not see them until lunch most days anyway. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, csj092809 said:

My PVP just booked my 12 year old and his 14 year old friend in a separate room. It is next door, but not adjoining.  I imagine it is fine if the PVP suggested it. 

I think as long as the kids are within 3 rooms away from your room, Carnival is fine with it.

• Like 2