R.I.P. Cruise Compass on Navigator of the Seas

seychelle

• 5 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, mcgore83 said:

I still enjoy the printed copies.  Can we just print a few copies for those who enjoy them?

Would be cool if they could be printed out onboard on demand for those who want them. Then no unused extras go unused.

On my last NCL cruise, I was able to take screenshots of the daily schedule from the app. Can something similar be done from RCI’s app, or not so much?

26 minutes ago, alikaalex said:

Would be cool if they could be printed out onboard on demand for those who want them. Then no unused extras go unused.

On my last NCL cruise, I was able to take screenshots of the daily schedule from the app. Can something similar be done from RCI’s app, or not so much?

You can screenshot anything you want on your phone... or you could just look at the app if you have your phone on you anyway. 

FYI:  On my Easter Anthem sail, my son and family who was sailing with me, asked the cabin attendant (CA) as to why I was getting a paper copy and they weren't--he was told that only those 65+ were provided with the paper version.  When he asked if they could get a paper version, the CS was very accommodating.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

You can screenshot anything you want on your phone... or you could just look at the app if you have your phone on you anyway. 

Sorry, I worded my comment poorly. I meant to say that I was able to screenshot an entire day of the schedule on my phone so that I could zoom in and out on the schedule without needing to be in the app.

My last RCI cruse was pre-smartphone era, so I’m excited to see how the daily schedule works using the app. While I am accustomed to a paper copy of the schedule, it has its own drawbacks and includes far more information than I really need. Plus, after I take the time to mark up the events I’m interested in, I inevitably lose the paper schedule and have to start over. 

I’m going to do a little hunting to see if I can find a demo of how the daily schedule works on the app.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alikaalex said:

Sorry, I worded my comment poorly. I meant to say that I was able to screenshot an entire day of the schedule on my phone so that I could zoom in and out on the schedule without needing to be in the app.

My last RCI cruse was pre-smartphone era, so I’m excited to see how the daily schedule works using the app. While I am accustomed to a paper copy of the schedule, it has its own drawbacks and includes far more information than I really need. Plus, after I take the time to mark up the events I’m interested in, I inevitably lose the paper schedule and have to start over. 

I’m going to do a little hunting to see if I can find a demo of how the daily schedule works on the app.

Don't like it on the app. Prefer paper.  Received paper on our December,  and both April Jewel cruises.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, time4u2go said:

For me it's not a matter of not having a smart phone.  It's more that I like not carrying my phone around.

Agree!! The folded up, highlighted Compass in my back pocket is way less obtrusive than a bulky, unused cell phone. We don't like carrying a phone around on the ship. 

BTW On our cruise in May on the Mariner, we discovered many inaccuracies between the printed Compass and the App. The printed Compass was usually correct, and the App had some errors but, more importantly, had many omissions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alikaalex said:

You can actually pull up an existing cruise's schedule and play around with it.

On the app, click on the "person" icon at the top.  Then click on "Select a different sailing >".  If you have other cruises booked, they'll show up in a list.... scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "Get more details on ships we support >".  Then you choose a ship name, and then you choose a sailing date (current or next week will have the most data loaded).  

Once you're in the app, you can see menus and activities, etc. 

While I am accustomed to a paper copy of the schedule, it has its own drawbacks and includes far more information than I really need.

This is one thing I love about the app -- you can use the "filters" to see ONLY what you're interested in.  I don't care about sales in the stores, etc., so I can just click on "entertainment" or "activities" to see when the ice show will be, or when trivia is being held, without having to scroll through and read EVERY DANG EVENT on that day's planner.

Plus, after I take the time to mark up the events I’m interested in, I inevitably lose the paper schedule and have to start over. 

Another benefit of the app is you can click "add to calendar" for things you want to do.  Not only will it show up in your calendar, but the app will also show a reminder notification before the event (I think it's like ten minutes before? Something like that.).  And anything that requires a reservation, you can do that in the app and it shows up on your calendar automatically, too.

The app isn't very intuitive to use (for example, to make a reservation, you have to go through several click-screens until you "purchase" the reservation for $0.00), but once you get used to it, I find it very handy. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

You can actually pull up an existing cruise's schedule and play around with it.

On the app, click on the "person" icon at the top.  Then click on "Select a different sailing >".  If you have other cruises booked, they'll show up in a list.... scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "Get more details on ships we support >".  Then you choose a ship name, and then you choose a sailing date (current or next week will have the most data loaded).

That’s a useful hack. I tried it out and was able to interact with the schedule of a current cruise. It was helpful to see how the schedule works on the app and makes me feel a bit more confident of how to use the system once aboard. Thx!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alikaalex said:

That’s a useful hack. I tried it out and was able to interact with the schedule of a current cruise. It was helpful to see how the schedule works on the app and makes me feel a bit more confident of how to use the system once aboard. Thx!

You're very welcome!  I learned about it from others here on CC, so I'm happy to be able to pay it forward and help others.  

• Thanks 1