Amtrak in Boston

Giantfan13

We are doing a TA which arrives in Boston in September. I live in NY and want to take an Amtrak back to Penn station. On going on the Amtrak site it lists 3 different stations in the Boston area. Back Bay Station, North Station and then South station. Is one preferable to the other? I know nothing of the Boston area so would anyone know which of the 3, I should use at a starting point?

Cheers

Len

1 hour ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are doing a TA which arrives in Boston in September. I live in NY and want to take an Amtrak back to Penn station. On going on the Amtrak site it lists 3 different stations in the Boston area. Back Bay Station, North Station and then South station. Is one preferable to the other? I know nothing of the Boston area so would anyone know which of the 3, I should use at a starting point?

Cheers

Len

You can't get trains to New York at North Station. South Station is closest to the port and the one you would want to leave from. Ticket windows, red caps and customer services. Do not go to Back Bay. It has no services. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Unless you are staying near Back Bay there is no reason to board there.  The train starts in South Station, then goes to BB (about 5 minute ride) and boards more passengers there, same fare, then continues southward.

North Station is for trains heading towards the north (Maine) but not towards NYC, so that won't be an option

• Like 1

2 hours ago, feelingnauti said:

Do you think a 9:40am Amtrak from the South Station is possibly docking at 6am? We are on the Arctic Crossing cruise in September.

If you self disembark first and the ship clears quickly upon arrival, and there are no delays in arriving in the first place, that should be ok. You're only about a 5-7 min Uber ride from the pier to South Station. Amtrak doesn't have any airport style security and you can board the train up to a little less than 5 minutes prior to actual departure. 

Figure you are off the ship and through formalities by 8-8:30 at the latest you still have plenty of time to make that. 

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you self disembark first and the ship clears quickly upon arrival, and there are no delays in arriving in the first place, that should be ok. You're only about a 5-7 min Uber ride from the pier to South Station. Amtrak doesn't have any airport style security and you can board the train up to a little less than 5 minutes prior to actual departure. 

Figure you are off the ship and through formalities by 8-8:30 at the latest you still have plenty of time to make that. 

Agreed - but counting on being cleared and off the ship by 8:30 might be a bit optimistic after a trans-Atlantic.  Doesn’t Amtrak run fairly frequently - allowing easier options?

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Doesn’t Amtrak run fairly frequently - allowing easier options?

About once an hour alternating between less expensive Northeast Regional trains and more expensive Acela Expresses. If they were to miss the first train they could always change trains prior to departure in the Amtrak app quite easily, usually for the difference in fare or with a small fee if its a discounted fare. Super easy and not at all the hassle of missing/changing a flight. 

Frankly if it were me I would roll the dice with the understanding there might be a 15% chance I miss it and have to take another train an hour later. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

About once an hour alternating between less expensive Northeast Regional trains and more expensive Acela Expresses. If they were to miss the first train they could always change trains prior to departure in the Amtrak app quite easily, usually for the difference in fare or with a small fee if its a discounted fare. Super easy and not at all the hassle of missing/changing a flight. 

Frankly if it were me I would roll the dice with the understanding there might be a 15% chance I miss it and have to take another train an hour later. 

The rebooked train will be at the prevailing rate, though. So if you buy early on a NE Regional and get a $50 ticket (if that's still a thing), it could be the same price as the Acela for a same day rebook... The $50 tickets have restrictions and fees on exchanges. I don't know if its enforced, but you theoretically have to rebook before you miss your train. It can be done, but it's not like going standby for the next flight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markeb said:

I don't know if its enforced, but you theoretically have to rebook before you miss your train. It can be done, but it's not like going standby for the next flight.

It is enforced but I disagree that it’s not the same as going standby for a flight- generally there is always availability so the uncertainties of “standby” are not a thing. 

Also it only applies to the most discounted fares Amtrak offers- you can choose to pay a little more at the time of booking for flexible change rules, still lower than what’s available last minute,  which might be worth it for the OP.

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

It is enforced but I disagree that it’s not the same as going standby for a flight- generally there is always availability so the uncertainties of “standby” are not a thing. 

Also it only applies to the most discounted fares Amtrak offers- you can choose to pay a little more at the time of booking for flexible change rules, still lower than what’s available last minute,  which might be worth it for the OP.

Random booking for a Saturday in September shows BOS to NYP on the Acela with Value for $107 (pre-purchase requirements but minimal restrictions) and Flexible at $252. The Flexible is essentially the walk up fare. So booking for an hour later train up front while its available could save $145. It would be $110 difference on NE Regional for the same random date. If a traveler buys the $107 ticket and has to change because they're late by an hour, they could end up paying that $145. There's an Acela on that route tomorrow with a saver for $156, but the saver fare will usually increase and no guarantees it would be available to change trains on day of travel, or it might not be there again until hours later. I'd probably just take the later train I was sure of at the better price.

• Like 1