Info about Canada's new rules for cruise lines for 2022?

Harrylinden

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know all the Canadian requirements, but yes, I believe that this is a non-issue, and just a way for folks to press for repeal of the PVSA.  While it passed without debate last year, when it was proposed as a covid economic aid bill, at a time when other covid aid was being enabled, there are interests both in the government, and in private sector that will not sit by idly while this is proposed again.

Thx. That was my feeling as well. Bumpy road for 10 day Alaska cruises from SF. 

I found this on the 2nd website link (post 15) "The Plan should include procedures to log passenger and crew activities in port to facilitate the case and contact management whenever possible." I'm fine with shore excursions (waitlisted on 1: Grouse Mtn). Not ideal but ok if that's what's required. 

18 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I talked to a rep at Senator Dan Sullivan's office yesterday,The rep stated that the whole Alaskan delegation is working on the problem...My guess unless the Ridiculous Canadian Government doesn't fix this it will be like last year.....

May I ask why you are so concerned about Canadian laws?  Clearly, you would prefer to be on a ship that does not port in Canada.  The only issue is your law, which  was successfully suspended in 2021.  Quite sure it will be suspended again for 2022 and you can cruise all you want, wherever you want, using all American ports.  Unless of course, your ridiculous American government doesn’t fix it………..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Maybe I should have said "not interested in cruising to Astoria / Seattle." Just left Seattle. Can drive up the coast to Astoria in less than a day. 

Ha, yeah I can drive there in about 2 hours and do a few times a year.  Something about coming and going by way of a cruise makes it better?

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know all the Canadian requirements, but yes, I believe that this is a non-issue, and just a way for folks to press for repeal of the PVSA.  While it passed without debate last year, when it was proposed as a covid economic aid bill, at a time when other covid aid was being enabled, there are interests both in the government, and in private sector that will not sit by idly while this is proposed again.

Agreed - I think the Canadian requirements will be ultimately workable, but I don't see the PVSA being repealed anytime soon - there are would be a lot of cascading effects.  I could see some modifications to it especially since the original intent was to protect means of transportation for passengers between one US port and another - I feel like RT voyages should be considered for exemption.  I believe part of the modifications to it last year that allowed it to pass was that it was temporary, and ONLY for Alaskan bound voyages from Seattle.  

1 minute ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I feel like RT voyages should be considered for exemption.

If you mean a RT voyage with only US ports, then you come back to the visa problem that ended the "cruises to nowhere", which are specifically allowed by PVSA.  CBP would classify foreign crew as working entirely within the US (which they would, if there were no foreign ports), and this would require H2/B work visas, not the C-1/D crew visa.  The cost and hassle of H2/B visas is the only reason the cruise lines don't do cruises to nowhere anymore.

28 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If you mean a RT voyage with only US ports, then you come back to the visa problem that ended the "cruises to nowhere", which are specifically allowed by PVSA.  CBP would classify foreign crew as working entirely within the US (which they would, if there were no foreign ports), and this would require H2/B work visas, not the C-1/D crew visa.  The cost and hassle of H2/B visas is the only reason the cruise lines don't do cruises to nowhere anymore.

Oh, I didn't realize that.  I recall that RCL or NCL used to run some literal cruises to nowhere from NY, but if this is a more recent interpretation that would make sense why they don't anymore.

Well, back to the topic at hand, I think the cruise lines can make it work, but it's certainly not as easy as it was a few years ago.  If this requirement sticks around for a year or two I wonder how much that will affect Alaskan cruise prices.  Certainly cruise lines make pretty healthy margins on Alaska sailings since they are somewhat constrained by home port (Vancouver can only handle 1 large and 2 medium ships on a turnaround day and Seattle can hand 3 large ships) and port of call capacity constraints.  

Currently all people crossing the border into Canada (including Canadians) must have a Rapid Antigen within 1 day or a PCR test within 72 hours.  When the most recent changes regarding testing were announced which took effect on Monday the minister advised that they were still looking at the cruise ship issue and would advise prior to the cruise ship season starting.  I am HOPING that they may soon remove the requirement for testing for fully vaccinated people.  That would make travelling so much easier .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lovinit2012 said:

Currently all people crossing the border into Canada (including Canadians) must have a Rapid Antigen within 1 day or a PCR test within 72 hours.  When the most recent changes regarding testing were announced which took effect on Monday the minister advised that they were still looking at the cruise ship issue and would advise prior to the cruise ship season starting.  I am HOPING that they may soon remove the requirement for testing for fully vaccinated people.  That would make travelling so much easier .

I think Canada previously allowed US citizens in without a test, or if you were in Canada for less than 72 hours you didn't need to test.  Lets hope that option is picked up again.

6 minutes ago, lovinit2012 said:

We still have the requirement for vaccinated passengers, because there is still a pandemic going on. I don't understand why the Canadian government is supposed to change their stance due to an American Law? Change the American law and skip Canada.     If the same thing happens for a second year in a row, it may be enough pressure to change the mind of the Canadian powers that be!.  But I doubt it.  Their a stubborn bunch of Liberals..LOL   

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I think Canada previously allowed US citizens in without a test, or if you were in Canada for less than 72 hours you didn't need to test.  Lets hope that option is picked up again.

No I DON’t believe that they did, they did at one time allow Canadians to return from a visit to the US for less than 72 hours without a test. 

1 minute ago, cruisingrob21 said:

That was in the days when non-essential travel was not allowed. There are still classes of travellers that do not require tests, aircrew and essential workers come to mind.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

So am I correct that PCL could meet the criteria by:

1. All over 5 fully vaccinated 

2. Onboard testing (like Hawaii)

3. Ship submit digital ArriveCAN for cruisers using data from embarkation + onboard Antigen test??

If so, could this be a non-issue? Yes, I have a vested interest. Not interested in the Astoria & Seattle ports / going for Vancouver / Victoria 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The problem is Step 3.  ArriveCAN App is an individual thing and I do not believe there is anyway for a group entry of random folks.  I don't see Princess setting up ArriveCAN for 1,000/2,000+ passengers.  There are credentials and such.  No way around this one unless Trudeau relents on the current requirements.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

The problem is Step 3.  ArriveCAN App is an individual thing and I do not believe there is anyway for a group entry of random folks.  I don't see Princess setting up ArriveCAN for 1,000/2,000+ passengers.  There are credentials and such.  No way around this one unless Trudeau relents on the current requirements.

ArriveCan simply replaces the paper declaration that was previously used. 

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

ArriveCan simply replaces the paper declaration that was previously used. 

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But it is a MUST requirement to use it for the time being.

So is this something the individual can do once leaving Seattle and just hand to the steward? How else would security know i complied??

Just adding: still sounds less onerous than when 2600 of us passengers had to March through Vista Lounge before entering another country in 2018. 

Edited by Ombud

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

So is this something the individual can do once leaving Seattle and just hand to the steward? How else would security know i complied??

YGIAGAM.  It's like MC App.  On your smart device.  Or there is a web version.  No way to hand that to anyone.  I think it is a bit premature until Canada comes clean with any final requirements.  I am sure cruise line reps are good at explaining how difficult it will be to expect all pax to use ArriveCan for a port stop.  All we know is the current regs.  You can research for yourself on Canadian government website.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I think it gives you a QR code and transmits the info.  Agents in Victoria may scan such a code as you leave the port.  Who knows until Canada provides the additional clarity on what cruise calls will look like.  The first ship arrives in about 32 days.

Edited by cruisingrob21

14 hours ago, whatcruiseisnext said:

The new rules have been announced..... click on the links.  Second one is the actual document that was released a few days ago.

Transport Canada Lays Out Rules for Cruise Ships, Requires Passengers And Crew To Be Vaccinated (cruisecritic.com) 

Canada’s cruise ship instructional reference tool

The new rules have not yet been announced by the Canadian government.  This is at least the third thread on this topic that has linked to this same Cruise Critic article from last week.  The article is misleading and poorly written, and seems to be confusing a lot of people.

When the general changes to border testing requirements were announced on Feb. 15, the government said that further details on requirements for cruise ships would be announced soon, but those details have not yet been announced.  I live in Victoria.  As you might imagine, our local media is following this story very closely, and they are still waiting for the cruise ship specific details from Transport Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In order to go to Hawaii, I've entered all my info into their system and uploaded my vaccination status to get in their state.   Its no different than ArriveCan app.  I don't think we should assume people are that stupid that they can't fill in a app to get in a country. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Just adding: still sounds less onerous than when 2600 of us passengers had to March through Vista Lounge before entering another country in 2018. 

Oops ... added that late. 

• Like 1

Just now, Drews_Cruise said:

In order to go to Hawaii, I've entered all my info into their system and uploaded my vaccination status to get in their state.   Its no different than ArriveCan app.  I don't think we should assume people are that stupid that they can't fill in a app to get in a country. 

Very good point - and ArriveCan is more reliable to use than the MedallionClass app  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I remember having to do something like that on a Vancouver - Victoria - San Francisco cruise.  SF didn't have their new terminal set up yet and didnt have customs agents at the port.  Since there was a stop in Victoria, we couldnt pre-clear US customs at Canada Place.  So yes, it was waiting in a line near the Princess Theater to get to the vista lounge for 3 US border agents to slowly check everyone's declaration.

Then there was the time disembarking from a 1 night cruise in Seattle where the CBP agents were trying to make a statement about their workload and meticulously checking EVERYONES forms.  It took 90 minutes to get out of the pier 91 terminal in Seattle.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But it is a MUST requirement to use it for the time being.

I believe that there has been a relaxation of this rule.

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Yes. One can also use a browser to complete the information. (Years ago Canadians and others had to do this on Caribbean cruises when calling at a US port after visiting a non US port.)

Frankly all the hand wringing is pointless. Although a few politicians are exploiting the situation to push particular agendas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drews_Cruise said:

I don't think we should assume people are that stupid that they can't fill in a app to get in a country. 

I think you might be very surprised at the travel aptitude of many American passengers who primarily sail from the US.

We were on the second Celebrity sailing during the restart last summer, sailing from St. Maarten. Our CC Roll Call was split 50/50 between excitement to be cruising again, and what I'd loosely describe as "generalized mass hysteria about filling out a pre-approval form on the St. Maarten government website." 

A number of passengers were so perplexed/panicked about the international entry requirements, regulations, and the St. Maarten website, they ultimately ended taking Celebrity up on their generous last-minute cancellation policy and just moving to different sailings later in the year. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No, there is no relaxation of the requirement to register arrival info in ArriveCAN app.  Where are you seeing this?

My recollection is that there were a number of media reports concerning individuals completing the process or being unable to and the Minister responsible said accommodations could be made on a by case basis.