Edocs and luggage tags

mbddisney

Slightly off topic but we recently flew Alaska Airlines to San Diego.   They have the option of printing your own luggage tags prior to travel and give you a plastic holder to insert the luggage tag in.   Much larger than cruise baggage tags but found it very convenient and saved time at checkin.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Slightly off topic but we recently flew Alaska Airlines to San Diego.   They have the option of printing your own luggage tags prior to travel and give you a plastic holder to insert the luggage tag in.   Much larger than cruise baggage tags but found it very convenient and saved time at checkin.

I fly Alaska and have not seen free plastic luggage tag holders.  I just looked at their web site and the "luggage tags" are the traditional peal and stick tags they have used for years, just an automated kiosk  option.  Do you have a link of picture to share?

36 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I fly Alaska and have not seen free plastic luggage tag holders.  I just looked at their web site and the "luggage tags" are the traditional peal and stick tags they have used for years, just an automated kiosk  option.  Do you have a link of picture to share?

The give you the holder the first time you use them then you can keep and reuse

Trip Report: Alaska Airlines SMF-PDX-SEA-DEN — Officer Wayfinder

Tips for Touchless Air Travel in 2020 (Part 1 – Arriving at the Airport) —  The Window Flyer

Alaska Airlines began testing a new self-tagging luggage system at Los Angeles International Airport. Passengers can print a tag at home or at an airport kiosk before dropping the bag off at an automated station.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The give you the holder the first time you use them then you can keep and reuse

Trip Report: Alaska Airlines SMF-PDX-SEA-DEN — Officer Wayfinder

Tips for Touchless Air Travel in 2020 (Part 1 – Arriving at the Airport) —  The Window Flyer

Alaska Airlines began testing a new self-tagging luggage system at Los Angeles International Airport. Passengers can print a tag at home or at an airport kiosk before dropping the bag off at an automated station.

Well, that is pretty cool!! Thanks for sharing.  Good information.  I will check it out in person in a couple of weeks. 

Cheers!

🥂

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I absolutely love the Alaska Air luggage tag process. Just like we've been doing for cruises for more than a decade now. So quick and easy. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why other airlines aren't doing it.

3 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

That's odd. I've been flying Alaska Air for years, from Boston to visit family in the PNW, and option to pre-print luggage tags and use the reusable tag holder has been an option for several years; at least 2-3 years pre-pandemic, if not more. IIRC I was able to have a couple holders mailed to me, and they've always had them readily available at the check-in counters.  

But the nice thing is, once you've got the reusable tag holders, you just print your luggage tag once you've checked in online for your flight, slip it in the reusable tag holder, then when you get to the airport, just go to the bag-drop line and off to security. As I mentioned above, pretty much just like I've been doing for cruises for years now. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I absolutely love the Alaska Air luggage tag process. Just like we've been doing for cruises for more than a decade now. So quick and easy. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why other airlines aren't doing it.

That's odd. I've been flying Alaska Air for years, from Boston to visit family in the PNW, and option to pre-print luggage tags and use the reusable tag holder has been an option for several years; at least 2-3 years pre-pandemic, if not more. IIRC I was able to have a couple holders mailed to me, and they've always had them readily available at the check-in counters.  

But the nice thing is, once you've got the reusable tag holders, you just print your luggage tag once you've checked in online for your flight, slip it in the reusable tag holder, then when you get to the airport, just go to the bag-drop line and off to security. As I mentioned above, pretty much just like I've been doing for cruises for years now. 

I haven’t done many cruises.  What cruise lines are you on that do luggage like Alaska Airlines with self check in luggage kiosks?  It’s been so long that I don’t remember how Celebrity does it.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I haven’t done many cruises.  What cruise lines are you on that do luggage like Alaska Airlines with self check in luggage kiosks?  It’s been so long that I don’t remember how Celebrity does it.

Sorry for the confusion, we did indeed get off topic.   It is not the cruise line it is just that I was flying Alaska to cruise out of San Diego.   Unfortunately the Luggage Valet Service has not yet been re-introduced.

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

My apologies as well. Didn't mean to cause confusion or get off topic. I only meant that, since the cruise lines started sending luggage tags via email many years ago for passengers to print out at home (instead of mailing the Tyvek tags), many of us have bought reusable plastic sleeves for these luggage tags (mostly on Amazon), and the Alaska Airlines system works in a similar manner, except that the airline provides the plastic tag holder. 

With respect to cruises, many people feel the reusable sleeves are more secure than merely folding the printed paper tags and stapling them to your luggage (as instructed on the printed tag). You can find many discussions of the reusable cruise luggage tag holders here on CC, if you're interested. Or, if that's something you'd like more information about, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share the info I have. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
to add relevant info

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Those tags are only for celebrities.  Normal people have to order a different product.  🙂

We used those same bag tag holders for RCCL cruise last Nov. We will reuse them for our June Celebrity Cruise. 

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Those tags are only for celebrities.  Normal people have to order a different product.  🙂

Normal people could care less about luggage tags (other than our personal ones) we let the airport and port folks do that work for u$.  

Edited by LGW59
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Normal people could care less about luggage tags (other than our personal ones) we let the airport and port folks do that work for u$.  

With all due respect, I very much consider myself a "normal person" and I do take care of my luggage tags myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

With all due respect, I very much consider myself a "normal person" and I do take care of my luggage tags myself. 

P.s. - I see my winkie emoji is missing, so if it wasn't clear, I was trying to play along with the joke. Upon reflection, it may have fallen flat. 😒

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

P.s. - I see my winkie emoji is missing, so if it wasn't clear, I was trying to play along with the joke. Upon reflection, it may have fallen flat. 😒

Depending on the website I have to double check my smilies.  I have one website that only accepts their very limited set of emoticons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

It's a Boston thing, can't tell you how many times I'm told, not funny, when I "forgot" to add an emoticon, not that I care but I do try, sometimes...

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:35 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure you can use either.   The thinner longer ones work best for Celebrity and can be found by typeing "Celebrity Luggage Tags" 

image.thumb.png.42d19d87446105787e84f5904fda39cf.png

I have a different size that work for my Carnival cruises. (Shhh-don't tell anyone here I also cruise Carnival). Do you think I can make Celebrity tags fit in them?

14 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I have a different size that work for my Carnival cruises. (Shhh-don't tell anyone here I also cruise Carnival). Do you think I can make Celebrity tags fit in them?

Your secret is kept.   LOL

I'm sure they will work.   Just fold them.   The only thing they need to see is room number  and the location picture.    For the Celebrity ones I kinda fan fold them at the top to fit into my holders.  

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your secret is kept.   LOL

I'm sure they will work.   Just fold them.   The only thing they need to see is room number  and the location picture.    For the Celebrity ones I kinda fan fold them at the top to fit into my holders.  

What’s the location picture? The ABC?

16 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Too late.  😂

16 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

One can also just let them do it for you at the port, but that may be to easy and would eliminate an entire thread here