Pay for food onboard?

gatorphin

I've really got some mixed feeling 1 1/2 weeks before I board my first RCI cruise. I'm sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas and I understand they have a Johnny Rockets on board. However, you must pay $3.95 per person to eat anything. They also have a Chops on board, which is $20 per person. There's also a Ben & Jerry's and Seattle's Best Coffee on board, each requiring me to pay up to enjoy. Is this the end of "free" food on cruise ships? After all, are they saying the hamburgers at Johnny Rockets are superior to those of their Windjammer? the steaks at Chops better than the slop the feed you in the dining room? Where does it stop? Soon food will be an extra. :rolleyes:

P.S. - Although I stepped up on my soap box I'll still be eating at all the places I've just mentioned. Just want to hear your feelings.

Luckily so far you can still get plenty to eat at other places on the ship and don't have to spend extra to eat in the other places that cruise lines are adding. I will say that the food in the "pay to eat" restaurants is generally better than what they offer included in the price for the cruise and it does make you wonder how long it will be before they want to charge extra for better food in the dining room.

Have a great next cruise and don''t eat too many meals in the pay to eat restaurants.

Belive me, it's not slop in the dining room. And I've never understood the allure of Johnny Rockets. It's just a burger chain restaurant. And I've had better burgers at home. Coffee is no charge in the Windjammer all day. There is soft serve ice cream almost 24 hours at no charge. Usually the machine is located outside the Windjammer near the main pool. Everyone I've spoken to about Chops says it's well worth the money. We have never felt the need to spend extra money for food, so I don't know first hand. Hope you enjoy the Enchantment.

You can get a fine meal at home for what it costs at the "extra" restaurants, and when I ate at Johnny Rockets on the Mariner in October, I was up all night with indigestion and they didn't even dance. Don't see the allure of that place--incidentally, the milkshakes are TINY.

Yes, you pay extra for the food items you mentioned. However, you are not missing anything by skipping Johnny Rockets or Ben & Jerry's. Chops is an experience and a wonderful meal not to be missed.

I would prefer to have some things as an extra cost rather than increase the cruise price to cover them. Then I can decide if I want to spend my 'cruise dollars' on the extras. :)

It has been my experience that you can also get all the ice cream you wish in the dining room at lunch and dinner. It is offered in several flavors I believe, including sugar free.

On the Grandeur in Apri, at lunch, we even took advantage, several times may I ad, of the small but delicious hot fudge brownie sunday along with a hamburger and fries everybit as good, if not better than Johnny Rockets.

Maybe the alternative dining once during a cruise, but would bet the meat in the Poolside hamburger came from the same cow as the one in Johnny Rockets. Because someone offers you the chance to spend more $$$$, ain't no one twisting your arm to spend it...Unless you have kids, and that is why they invented duct tape (two strips, criss=crossed over mouth usually is sufficient).

I think it's only a matter of time before the cruise lines start charging to eat in the dining room.

I personally can't imagine on what planet that RCL would even consider charging extra for food in the dining room. You already pay for it when you pay for the cruise, if you decide to eat in Windjammers, or Chops, Portofinos, etc, you're just saving the cruise line money. There's absolutely no way they could justify charging extra for food when you don't really have a choice of leaving the ship for dinner on sea days. Just shaking my head in wonder.

Wraithe

I personally can't imagine on what planet that RCL would even consider charging extra for food in the dining room. You already pay for it when you pay for the cruise, if you decide to eat in Windjammers, or Chops, Portofinos, etc, you're just saving the cruise line money. There's absolutely no way they could justify charging extra for food when you don't really have a choice of leaving the ship for dinner on sea days. Just shaking my head in wonder.

Wraithe

Now I'm not suggesting they would, but I certainly could see that they could. It would be purely a marketing and pricing based business decision. I see this as the way it could possibly happen (again, I'm not saying it's going to happen). They lower the price of the cruise even more than it already is, but take food completely out of the equation -- what you eat is what you pay for. Very budget minded consumers may take a cruise and drastically cut their food expenses. The cruise line probably would not stand to make as much money on that deal on the surface, as their is certainly more profit potential in the food than in the travel, but how much might the line save in food costs, also -- a lot of people would not eat nearly as much food if it was pay as you go.

Although they sail considerably smaller ships (around 200 pax), Easycruise is already doing this and more very successfully. They even charge (about $10.50 USD) for cleaning your cabin. But, rates run as low as $16 per person per night.

Remember, the larger lines like RCCL have already cut prices but increased the number of add-on charges compared to years ago, so anything that makes financial sense is fair game. Would charging as you go for food make financial sense? Beats me, but you can bet they have accountants and analysts that can figure it out!

After 14+ cruises, 10 of which have been on Royal Caribbean, I would hardly compare the food in the dining room or the Windjammer to "slop". There are a myriad of choices from many different venues, and I am sure that you will find something to your liking.

Once on every cruise, we dine in Chops or Portofinos. They have a few appetizers and entrees which are not available in the dining room, that we enjoy. If neither of those restaurants was available, we would still enjoy the food in the dining room.

I, for one, am not a fan of Johnny Rockets. We have a few here in Atlanta, and I rarely go there. If you enjoy greasy burgers & fries, then that is the place for you. I can't remember the last time we went to a burger joint and ordered shakes. Consequently, I would not order one on a cruise just because it was available. Too bad you were not on some of our past cruises, I would have happily given you our free coupons.

Soft serve ice cream is also available onn the ship. If you must have Ben & Jerrys which is a more expensoive brand, then, of course, you will have to pay for it. That is your choice.

Enjoy your cruise.

Who knows what the future will bring? Check out the airlines, many of whom are now charging for meals and snacks in economy. If it bothers you, stick to the dining room. Personally, I will not pay an extra $40 (two people) when I can have a great meal in the dining room.

You must think you are going on a voyager class ship.

Enchantment

Gross Tonnage: 80,700

Length: 990'

Beam: 106' Draft: 25'

Voyager Class ship

Gross Tonnage: 138,000

Length: 1020'

Beam: 157.5'

Draft: 29'

I'm sorry. Perhaps I am dense, but I do not understand the meaning nor the point of your post, Mark. Please explain.

I think it's ok to have a nadditional charge for the speciality restarunts. I see it as a 'upcharge' not mearly charging for the meal. The dinner at Chops is far better than you could get at restarunt of equal caliber 'onland'...you would pay far more for the quility of food and service. So the upcharge is a great value to me..we will go once, or twice during he cruise.

I have never paid for an "extra" restaurant or food - and I have NEVER had a bad meal on a cruise ship. As long as the dining room continues to meet and exceed my expectations, I will not go to the other restaurants just because I'm happy as a clam in the dining room. Honestly, I would feel like I'm missing out if I'd eat somewhere other than the dining room every evening. We enjoy getting to know our tablemates and wait staff. Besides, I save all food and beverage money for umbrella boat drinks. :D

Who knows what the future will bring? Check out the airlines, many of whom are now charging for meals and snacks in economy. If it bothers you, stick to the dining room. Personally, I will not pay an extra $40 (two people) when I can have a great meal in the dining room.

Yes, airlines are charging now for food, but in reality, the airfares are pretty much the same now as they were over 20 years ago. (I worked for four different airlines all through the 1980's, in reservations.) It doesn't mean I like it though.

Wraithe

Sorry, don't get the logic here. Windjammer is the buffet alternative to the dining room and has no extra fee. How is eating there "saving" the cruise line money?

Carol: Agreed. I don't see why anyone would be "disappointed" with Enchantment. It's smaller than a Voyager class ship and thus offers a different cruise experience. Different, not worse and not disappointing. (Of course, that's JMHO; I suppose there are those who only want the fanciest, newest, biggest, or what have you. Too bad, they're missing out on some wonderful cruise experiences.)

beachchick

You must think you are going on a voyager class ship.

Enchantment

Gross Tonnage: 80,700

Length: 990'

Beam: 106' Draft: 25'

Voyager Class ship

Gross Tonnage: 138,000

Length: 1020'

Beam: 157.5'

Draft: 29'

I don't get this remark either! ENCHANTMENT is a GREAT ship. She is elegant, and we thouroughly enjoyed sailing on her, and plan to again in the near future!

I don't get this remark either! ENCHANTMENT is a GREAT ship. She is elegant, and we thouroughly enjoyed sailing on her, and plan to again in the near future!

My guess is that this response was posted because the OP assumed there was a Johnny Rockets on the Enchantment.

Archived