Surprised no Fuel Surcharges

Guardsy

In December 2008, HAL hit us with a fuel surcharge for the FOUR of us! This was AFTER final payment. What really upset me was that, the date when they would NOT be charging the fuel surcharge was about 3 days into our cruise. I asked them to refund the appropriate percentage and HAL refused.

Guess who does not go on HAL anymore. I never heard of a lawsuit and this still angers me!

• Like 1

I’m one of those pesky CC members asking where the language is that allows for a fuel surcharge. It’s not in the contract. It’s just not. It IS in the Carnival, NCL and other cruise contracts. But it’s not in Princess or HAL. I keep hearing “all cruise lines reserve the right to . . . “ But you don’t get to impose a payment without having a right to do so, and I’m damned if I can find that right in the HAL or Princess contracts. In other years when Princess and HAL imposed charges (or tried to), was their contract different? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lderochi said:

I’m one of those pesky CC members asking where the language is that allows for a fuel surcharge. It’s not in the contract. It’s just not. It IS in the Carnival, NCL and other cruise contracts. But it’s not in Princess or HAL. I keep hearing “all cruise lines reserve the right to . . . “ But you don’t get to impose a payment without having a right to do so, and I’m damned if I can find that right in the HAL or Princess contracts. In other years when Princess and HAL imposed charges (or tried to), was their contract different? 

I believe you're correct... I see it in the Carnival and Norwegian contracts, but not Holland America. I don't see the cruise contract for Princess published on their website; it just says it varies by origin and destination and to check the contract in your booking. (I don't have a booking with them right now.)

So from the looks of it, existing bookings on Princess and HAL are safe from the post-hoc surcharges.

Really, this rubs me the wrong way. The fuel surcharges are bad enough on their own (just raise the fares rather than hiding it, same as those BS hotel "resort fees"), but to be able instate them after booking (and even after paying in full) with no option to cancel for a refund if you object is even sleazier than what the airlines get away with these days. I wonder if a judge would even consider such a provision to be enforceable, if it went to court?

Edited by strickerj

On 3/7/2022 at 4:23 AM, voljeep said:

MY fuel 'surcharge' was 40 cents a gallon more yesterday than 2 weeks ago - up to $ 4.00 / gallon now.

Prices up - not just fuel

Oh what I would do to have $4.00 per gallon gasoline. They keep showing the national average on TV and I keep asking where do I need to move to pay that little. We live in California. Consider yourself lucky! 😀

6 hours ago, lderochi said:

Well, Holland America sure did in 2008!!! 

On 3/7/2022 at 8:01 AM, alanstarr said:

This was in the quote from my OTA, but I could not find it anywhere on the Princess website:

At this time we can confirm the fare as listed, the total includes port taxes and Gov't fees. All cruise lines reserve the right to add a fuel supplement of up to $12 per guest per day on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel. 

Not in the Princess Passage Contract for my next cruise.

• Like 1

On the P&O UK another Carnival brand this topic is also being talked of.  in their t&c's it says they can charge up to 8% more for fuel increases but you can cancel if it does. Likely other Carnival brands will follow suit. 

6 hours ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Agree.  I've looked over the Princess contract and it is not there.  Nothing to worry about here. 

"Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are subject to change and Carrier reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full."

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

"Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are subject to change and Carrier reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full."

I agree, they can add any fees in when ever they feel it's necessary. 

And yet there's a YouTube channel I listened to last night that promotes booking your future cruises for this year to avoid any extra charges.

Of course they would like your business. 😄

No, they can’t. “Taxes Fees and Port Expenses” is a defined term in the contract, so any fee they want to add must be covered by that definition. The definition does not seem to cover increases in the price of fuel. 

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses” as used by Carrier, may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on the Carrier by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities, as well third-party fees and charges arising from a vessel's presence in a harbor or port. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses may include U.S. Customs fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, as well as fees for navigation, berthing, stevedoring, baggage handling/storage and security services. 

Edited by lderochi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, coopco said:

Oh what I would do to have $4.00 per gallon gasoline. They keep showing the national average on TV and I keep asking where do I need to move to pay that little. We live in California. Consider yourself lucky! 😀

While driving eastbound from El Paso last month, I couldn't help but notice how many vehicles with CA license plates were also heading eastbound. Many pulling U-Hauls. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3