Zuiderdam - A Few Questions

trixiee

Hello,

We are hoping to be on the Zuiderdam in 2023. (Sadly we had to cancel 2 cruises this year).

We sailed on the Zuiderdam 10 years ago or more.  I recall that the main dining room was red and purple, and didn't appeal to me at all.  Have they updated the colour scheme in the MDR?

Any cabin suggestions?  We are looking at a balcony - any suggestions on the best category V cabins on the ship?  I'm a "balcony dweller", and would love to enjoy a nice big balcony!

If we decide to go with an SS or SZ, and add in club orange, would we be able to book an SY?  Is that in the same Meta-category?   Would we be able to collect double Mariner points for these?

Thank you very much in advance!

(And Bruce, I did do a search but didn't find the answers to my questions) 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I haven't been on her in ages myself. 

I highly suggest cabin VB4164 (or VB4166).  These balconies are twice as wide as other V balconies.  (check out HAL Facts for photos).  Eurodam 4166 is the same sized cabin.

• Like 1

SS cabins are the best of the Signature Suite cabins, being on a quieter floor. The SY and SZ are under the Lido and can be noisy. Other than the few (8094 or 8099) that have weird verandahs, they are mostly the same size. We love the SS cabins on Zuiderdam. Yes, the aft VB cabins are great,  too for large verandahs. We've been on the Z'dam more than any other HAL ships since it seems to go where and when we want to cruise. Enjoy!

• Like 2

We've been on the Zuiderdam 5 times over the years. Our last trip was this year 1/2-1/16 through the Panama Canal from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale, Fl. Our cabin was 6141 and it was great. I was impressed with the condition of the ship and the facilities. The ship was only about half full but everything looked good and worked! In fact we felt that the ship was in better condition than in prior cruises on it. 

I don't remember the colors of the main dining room but purple and red would not be an attractive setting. We ate mainly in the specialty restaurants.  With a half full ship reservation were never an issue. Pinnacle was great but the Canaletto had major improvements over past menu options. 

All in all the cruise was pretty awesome. We would not hesitate to go on her again.

• Like 2

I was on Zuiderdam in February.  Colors on the ship seemed more subdued than I remember. I have been on Z for three previous cruises. I was in cabin 5141 and loved it.  The meal in  Canaletto was one of the best I have ever had on a cruise ship.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dogo88 said:

We've been on the Zuiderdam 5 times over the years. Our last trip was this year 1/2-1/16 through the Panama Canal from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale, Fl. Our cabin was 6141 and it was great. I was impressed with the condition of the ship and the facilities. The ship was only about half full but everything looked good and worked! In fact we felt that the ship was in better condition than in prior cruises on it. 

I don't remember the colors of the main dining room but purple and red would not be an attractive setting. We ate mainly in the specialty restaurants.  With a half full ship reservation were never an issue. Pinnacle was great but the Canaletto had major improvements over past menu options. 

All in all the cruise was pretty awesome. We would not hesitate to go on her again.

We're in cabin 6149 in April, so just two doors aft of yours in Jan. Thanks for the info, very good to hear. I live in San Diego, so I went down to the waterfront last week when Zuiderdam was in port here, and it looked like she needed a fresh coat of exterior paint.. but it was still exciting to see her. Hope they give her a little exterior touch-up before we sail mid April, but not a big deal if they don't get to it.🙂

20220227_111140.jpg

• Like 1

I sailed on Zuiderdam soon after her introduction and the interior color scheme was enough different from the previous HAL ships on which I had sailed that I did not care for the colors.  (Such an experience would not have prevented me from booking another cruise on her, however.)   I sailed on her a few years later and the colors were more pleasing to me.  I believe the ship has experienced another refurbishment since that cruise, so, I don't know what the new color scheme may be.  Remember:  Zuiderdam is scheduled to be the 2023 World Cruise ship.  I think HAL would want to have a pleasantly decorated ship that will please the cruisers on such a long cruise.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Here's a link for the most recent photos of Zuiderdam I could find on Cruise Critic. Not sure when they were actually taken, but the MDR photos still show the gaudy (in my opinion) red/purple color scheme.😕

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/zuiderdam-266/

Yup! That’s what I saw too!  Hopefully they will (or have) come to their senses and update that colour scheme! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trixiee said:

Anyone experience Club Orange on this ship?

I have no experience of CO, but note that Zuiderdam does not have the separate CO restaurant, so you will have a priority line for a section of MDR.  

21 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Here's a link for the most recent photos of Zuiderdam I could find on Cruise Critic. Not sure when they were actually taken, but the MDR photos still show the gaudy (in my opinion) red/purple color scheme.😕

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/zuiderdam-266/

Oh egads that’s awful! 😱

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

Oh egads that’s awful! 😱

Those aren't very good pictures.  The lighting is bad.  The real thing is pretty gaudy but doesn't look as bad as in these photos.

Just a thought (and we have sailed on the Z several times).  Your Club Orange idea is interesting, but since this ship lacks a dedicated CO dining area, I doubt it is worth it, even considering the potential upgrade.

I would just buy an SY that you like and then watch for upsell offers 2-4 weeks prior to sailing.  Since the Z has alot of Signature and Neptune cabins we have been very sucessful with this in the past.  Even if you do not get an upsell, the Signatures are very nice cabins, especially so if you pick your location.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, trixiee said:

Any cabin suggestions?  We are looking at a balcony - any suggestions on the best category V cabins on the ship?  I'm a "balcony dweller", and would love to enjoy a nice big balcony!

Look carefully at the deck plans for verandah cabins on the Zuiderdam and its sister ships. On some decks, the balconies are much more shallow depending whether you are amidship or aft.

I don't know if it violates some Cruise Critic rule to post this link, but here is an exhaustive discussion of cabins on Vista-class ships:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k8365331-o460-HAL_Noordam_Zuiderdam_Oosterdam_Westerdam_cabin_choices-Cruises.html

• Thanks 2