Yacht Club Restaurant Question

Cruiser21

Not sure who is where anymore.  When we sailed September on Mera and Divinia, plenty of staff hoping to get on Seashore.  Have seen very little info of who is on Seashore YC.

If Arthur is on, he is the one you want.  Kunal also very good.

That being said, on Mera for dinner, we bumped around where we sat and had different waiters each night.  They were all great.

• Like 2

When I was on Meraviglia in January the YC staff said something about most of them going to Seashore in a few months. So here is a short list of our servers on Meraviglia YC. Kassius, Raymond, Jayson, John, Kevin. And our Sommelier Rudolf (Rudy). I'll be on Meraviglia in 7 days so I'm hoping that some of them are still there. If not I'll see them on Seashore in June.

• Like 1

On Seaside a few years back we had Irwin. He was awesome. 

On a few occasions we'd order something and he would give you a look and shake his head. In other words, don't order that. He would always make sure you were taken care of. Any special request was done without hesitation.

3 hours ago, Europeantraveler1 said:

Hey mscdivina2016,  I see you will be on the Seaview soon!  Please, share with us your experience onboard this ship and your thoughts of YC. 

We are scheduled for a Mediterranean cruise in June on the Seaview and in YC.  

Thanks so much!!

Hi,

Sure I will. I see almost no Seaview on the boards here so I will post daily.

Anything in particular you are wanting to know let me know.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:07 PM, Cruiser21 said:

Specifically MSC Seashore, Sorry

Just got off of two weeks on Seashore.  There is and will be a lot of turnover as many servers have been on since the start of her sailing.  It seemed most of the servers on the starboard side are very new.  Some are clearly not ready to be leads at least.  If you are seated on that side, try and get Gerard.  If in the center or port side, two younger servers, Kevin and Bernin (sp?), are the best.  Kevin has some good assistants, as does Bernin.  The difference may come to preference in style.  Kevin is polite and understated, while Bernin insists on making recommendations regarding dishes. 

Again, all subject to change.  Three servers were leaving the ship with us on Saturday.  We had a change in YC directors from Robert Balla to Robbie Sheriff, and it looked like the maitre d, Luigi, was being shadowed, so I expect he will leave soon (no great loss, IMHO).  Belinda, the sommelier, is excellent and quite knowledgeable.  She got us special wines, and did not try and upsell us on Connoisseur-class wines.

5 hours ago, detwings said:

Paolo went home yesterday, March 12, along with alot of the waiters, hostess aboard MSC Seashore.  We just got off and were sad to see alot of them leaving since we will be back in another month.

True about Paolo and the waiters (including the wonderful Michael as well as Arnold, who was extended to this week), but Ma Ann (the Dining Room hostess told us she had months to go.  In another thread, you are correct about Manoj, and I think a lot of credit goes to Jerome, his junior butler, who took great care of our room the last two weeks, and did it while training a new junior butler the week of Feb. 26th.

I would have assumed, that since this is the YC, all staff working in this area would be the cream of the crop. Just like when they bring out a new build. 

To bring a newbe into this area is totally uncalled for. That is why you are paying a premium. JMHO

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

I would have assumed, that since this is the YC, all staff working in this area would be the cream of the crop. Just like when they bring out a new build. 

To bring a newbe into this area is totally uncalled for. That is why you are paying a premium. JMHO

Not the way MSC works!  Our first night, the head waiter was working for the first time (after his one week COVID isolation for new crew members).  Found out later it was his first contract with MSC.  Two other waiters in the area had less than a week of experience with YC.  After having had to send three things back in the first three meals (Dinner with a wrong meal, breakfast with eggs over hard not soft, and lunch where an ordered soup never showed), the hostess made 'sure' to assign us to a different table area.  That promise was kept for two days, and then broken.

Edited by JAGR
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Not the way MSC works!  Our first night, the head waiter was working for the first time (after his one week COVID isolation for new crew members).  Found out later it was his first contract with MSC.  Two other waiters in the area had less than a week of experience with YC.  After having had to send three things back in the first three meals (Dinner with a wrong meal, breakfast with eggs over hard not soft, and lunch where an ordered soup never showed), the hostess made 'sure' to assign us to a different table area.  That promise was kept for two days, and then broken.

That is a total shame. There is no excuse for that. You pay extra to get a step up and MSC does not provide the service or food to ensure you get their best. 

8 hours ago, JAGR said:

Just got off of two weeks on Seashore.  There is and will be a lot of turnover as many servers have been on since the start of her sailing.  It seemed most of the servers on the starboard side are very new.  Some are clearly not ready to be leads at least.  If you are seated on that side, try and get Gerard.  If in the center or port side, two younger servers, Kevin and Bernin (sp?), are the best.  Kevin has some good assistants, as does Bernin.  The difference may come to preference in style.  Kevin is polite and understated, while Bernin insists on making recommendations regarding dishes. 

Again, all subject to change.  Three servers were leaving the ship with us on Saturday.  We had a change in YC directors from Robert Balla to Robbie Sheriff, and it looked like the maitre d, Luigi, was being shadowed, so I expect he will leave soon (no great loss, IMHO).  Belinda, the sommelier, is excellent and quite knowledgeable.  She got us special wines, and did not try and upsell us on Connoisseur-class wines.

Great, Thank you for your response. We will probably request Kevin, We like trying different dishes and not what someone else thinks what we would enjoy. We had Robbie on Meraviglia, top notch guy.

Thank you 

11 hours ago, JAGR said:

We were in the Yacht Club a few weeks ago.  Service in the restaurant was fine at the time but the servers kept telling us they were leaving--end of contract. Our waiter was Christian (Berne) and Mike. What happened  to Robert Balla?  We have seen him in the Yacht Club since the Seaside.  Hope it gets better, we are going back Saturday.  Thanks for your insight.

12 hours ago, Raintree said:

We were in the Yacht Club a few weeks ago.  Service in the restaurant was fine at the time but the servers kept telling us they were leaving--end of contract. Our waiter was Christian (Berne) and Mike. What happened  to Robert Balla?  We have seen him in the Yacht Club since the Seaside.  Hope it gets better, we are going back Saturday.  Thanks for your insight.

Balla is on vacation for 6 to 8 weeks.  A Scotsman, Robbie is the current YCD.  He is outgoing and friendly.  Berne is still there, and Mike left with us.

Robbie is fairly new to MSC and came from a luxury line IIRC.

He runs a very good operation.  We had him in September and is both a great host and leader.

Now if he is challenged with new staff, that could be a factor.

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

Robbie is fairly new to MSC and came from a luxury line IIRC.

He runs a very good operation.  We had him in September and is both a great host and leader.

Now if he is challenged with new staff, that could be a factor.

Robbie Sherriffs came over from Viking River Cruises in the French wine country, where he was a Hotel Director.  He is fabulous and I understand he was very popular with the YC staff.  You are correct this short replacement of Robert is his second contract.  Personally, I hope he stays with a North American ship, but I think he is slated to return to the Meraviglia in the Med after dry dock.

Dennis

On 3/13/2022 at 1:32 PM, Oxo said:

To bring a newbe into this area is totally uncalled for. That is why you are paying a premium

JAGR's experience with "crew experience" is not a one-off.  HAL bally-hoos in their ads about Grand World Voyages "experienced crew members" that will be serving their guests.  Well, yes, some are; some are not.  My Cabin Steward was on his second contract.  My stateroom was not totally prepared when I embarked the Amsterdam; it was late afternoon of embarkation day when it was properly "ready" for me.  A pleasant man and willing to converse with me during the first half of the cruise; he was unhappy.  In Singapore, he tried to "jump ship", was caught, and was fired.  His replacement had been a Steward for the Amsterdam's Officers.  His work was "OK".  World Cruise quality that I had expected?  No.