Popcorn on the Riviera

lel5344

We are new to Oceania and we have booked the Riviera for a British Isles cruise in June 2023.

I understand that popcorn is available for movies on the outdoor screen, but what about in inclement weather such as we are likely to experience? 

Kind of a mundane question, I know, considering the food on Oceania. Popcorn is just a preferred snack for me.

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, lel5344 said:

We are new to Oceania and we have booked the Riviera for a British Isles cruise in June 2023.

I understand that popcorn is available for movies on the outdoor screen, but what about in inclement weather such as we are likely to experience? 

Kind of a mundane question, I know, considering the food on Oceania. Popcorn is just a preferred snack for me.

Thanks!

I think your thinking of another cruise line  like Princess, RCL, Carnival or such..    Never saw any outdoor movie or even a screen   Heck  never saw an indoor movie either...   Likewise  no popcorn in any event     Never seen it in all my cruises

1 hour ago, lel5344 said:

Thank you.  What is the big screen on the pool deck used for?

Looks like the TA picture you saw labeled Oceania must have been a picture of a Princess ship. They call it MUTS, movies under the stars. it's actually a very cool way to watch movies. If the weather is a bit chilly there are lap blankets to wrap up in and popcorn is available.

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

What you are seeing beyond the pool is a screen that shows the ship's position, not a movie screen,

I think it's capable of showing movies, I know it shows pictures and logos. I wouldn't bet on it, but I think occasionally in nice climates they have had movies there. 

Believe it or not, we were on a cruise when they used that information screen to show a musical. It was a disaster. Very bad image, very bad sound, very uncomfortable with pulling chairs in, and cold. Never saw them try it again. Have seen many movies in lounge but they seem to always run out of popcorn very fast. Fortunately, most of the movies are fairly current.

4 hours ago, lel5344 said:

Thank you.  What is the big screen on the pool deck used for?

it is not that big of a screen but have seen movies there on warm weather cruises  but  space is limited

Sometimes they show them in Horizons

Long ago in a far away land they had Movies Under the Stars at the pool - try to grab a lounger for two - they provided blankets for cooler nights. They also had movie matinees in the afternoon. I’m sure the popcorn is near! I’ve attached photos past Currents (they may be rotated). Jimmy59096557-5BE1-469E-9F6C-CC4384A11003.thumb.jpeg.de2858be8b4755574b105cd23c4620ec.jpeg

E7902135-BA65-408D-BAC8-61ECB0D5FE67.jpeg

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Never saw one..... are you sure ? ..

There is a screen on the wall

2 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

Believe it or not, we were on a cruise when they used that information screen to show a musical. It was a disaster. Very bad image, very bad sound, very uncomfortable with pulling chairs in, and cold. Never saw them try it again. Have seen many movies in lounge but they seem to always run out of popcorn very fast. Fortunately, most of the movies are fairly current.

On Riviera this past January, they showed a football game on the outdoor screen (I think you could also have watched it in your cabin.

It didn’t look good on the outside screen as we passed by it.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Never saw one..... are you sure ? ..

Just off the ship last week and "yes" there is a large screen out there.....only saw/noticed it in the evenings.....never with a movie showing however....just advertisement or Oceania logo type notices.

On Riviera 12/13-23/21 all the movies were shown in the Lounge. The "Wednesday Afternoon Movie" was Beans at 1415, the Day 5 "Afternoon Movie" was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation at 1430, the "Saturday Afternoon Movie" was Ma Belle, My Beauty at 1345, the "Monday Afternoon Movie" was Falling for Figaro at 1415, and on Day 10 due to inability to tender they added a 2nd "Wednesday Afternoon Movie" It's A Wonderful Life at 1345. Never went to any so no idea about popcorn. Never heard anyone say anything about popcorn.

The big electronic screen aft of the pool by Waves showed weather, location, travel, time and misc. such information throughout the day and night.