are MSC still insisting on cruise insurance ?

TheGuv316

For Med cruises yes, Travel Requirements Mediterranean | MSC Cruises

To ensure peace of mind, MSC Cruises requires all guests to have a specific and mandatory Covid-19 insurance policy to embark, covering against COVID-19 related risks, i.e cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization.  Before finalizing a reservation, it is possible to add to the cruise on this website the MSC COVID-19 Protection plan to all departures on sales from 2021-2022 Winter season onwards. A proof of the specific COVID-19 coverage insurance policy - which must be in one of the following languages English, Italian, German, French or Spanish - must be presented at embarkation or boarding will be denied.

The coverage that MSC requires is not  provided by bank credit cards as most will not cover for anything Covid related. It is relatively easy and cheap to get health coverage and trip interruption for vaccinated travelers, but not trip cancellation (for Covid reasons). For Canadian cruisers, MSC has paired with an insurance company that will cover all their requirements, but at a hefty cost.

22 hours ago, mackfam said:

The coverage that MSC requires is not  provided by bank credit cards..............

I beg to differ, I have worldwide travel insurance with my bank which definitely covers Covid cancellations and repatriation.  The OP lives in Ireland which is totally different to whats available in Canada.

On virtuosa now and they clearly asked for proof. My policy from travel insured, bought through insuremytrip sends out four page doc where last page says COVID-19 is treated like an illness.

Worked without a hitch 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:38 AM, TheGuv316 said:

im only doing a short 6 night in the Med 1st time with our daughter with us and prob wont even leave the ship so I fell we dont need it are they still insisting on it  ?

On Seaview now. Yes they checked

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, xcell said:

Did they say what they specifically want -- or something that says we will cover Covid...

On the website it lists minimums for medical and evacuation and it is specifically for Covid. Many will pay for quarantine as well.

On the Canadian website they mention cancellation insurance but the US website only mentioned coverage for medical ($25000) and evacuation ($50000). I emailed to clarify but would the specific requirements listed on the US website be the requirements for all passengers? The Canadian website doesn't go into specific detailed requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I would like to know if anyone has been denied boarding because of having non compliant insurance.

Lots were denied last summer on Virtuosa from Southampton. They were able to purchase MSC's own policy in the terminal which allowed them to board. I don't know if they are still selling this before boarding but much better to have your own policy in place, very easy to purchase here in the UK.

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Lots were denied last summer on Virtuosa from Southampton. They were able to purchase MSC's own policy in the terminal which allowed them to board. I don't know if they are still selling this before boarding but much better to have your own policy in place, very easy to purchase here in the UK.

3 weeks ago on Seaview, couple ahead of us were denied as well.

I told them to buy it online right then and there. I gave them my printed policy coverage papers so they could get the same one and they bought it right there.

• Like 2

Anyone ever use Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits for the insurance requirement? It has 100k in evacuation coverage among other things..  I have a big explanation of benefits document that I could show, but nothing that actually includes a name or policy number.

On 4/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, ult_ said:

Anyone ever use Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits for the insurance requirement? It has 100k in evacuation coverage among other things..  I have a big explanation of benefits document that I could show, but nothing that actually includes a name or policy number.

You need your policy number and declaration sheet. Then if the deck sheet does not specify Covid you need to print the policy portion that does.

3 weeks ago they looked at mine as it did not have my name on it. I had the email with me.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:06 AM, mickey89 said:

I beg to differ, I have worldwide travel insurance with my bank which definitely covers Covid cancellations and repatriation.  The OP lives in Ireland which is totally different to whats available in Canada.

I agree mickey89  my bank card insurance covers Covid and has amazing cover, they have sent us a paper copy of our cruise + covid cover. I live in the UK and cannot imagine the OP has much different.

I do not know why anyone would travel without appropriate insurance.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, TheGuv316 said:

im only doing a short 6 night in the Med 1st time with our daughter with us and prob wont even leave the ship so I fell we dont need it are they still insisting on it  ?

I would never travel without Travel Insurance on a ship. Fall down the stairs and need repatriation...I hope you have about £50,000 doing nothing to pay the bill. One visit to the doctor on board varies from £75 - £100 and that is just to be seen. I needed a tablet for a migraine...£80 for 1 tablet!. The last cruise we were on required travel insurance with a minimum of £2,000,000 for any medical treatment.  We have our bank insurance which covers for cruising. (NB cruising is not always covered by travel insurance)

Edited by CRUISENSNOOZE