Amsterdam

Amsterdam does use the Euro.  It is a very walkable city, but make arrangements for a canal tour.  Lots of rental companies are available, and you can reserve ahead of time if you want to.  Also some very good museums around.  The Anne Frank house is a must do, but you almost always need advance resrvations for that.  I don't recommend biking unless you are very proficient.  The bikes move with the traffic, and autos are not inclined to slow down for the tourists.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beachnag said:

I have a few questions about visiting this city.  Do I need Euro dollars,    what are the best places to visit.  Home much do we need  for Taxi,  Food,  etc.

Yes, unless you can manage to use your credit card for everything.  

The Van Googh museum is probably a must.   Same for the Anne Frank house. Riijks museum is another.  

Maybe a canal tour.  

22 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yes, unless you can manage to use your credit card for everything.  

The Van Googh museum is probably a must.   Same for the Anne Frank house. Riijks museum is another.  

Maybe a canal tour.  

We're doing a TA from Miami and ending up in Amsterdam in May.  We're only there for 2 nights but our must's are the Anne Frank and the Van Gogh museums.  Also, it's the end of the Tulip Festival, which I hear is spectacular,  but as we are there that very last weekend of the event, I'm not sure how much of it we'll be able to see.

I live in Amsterdam and can answer most questions.

Netherlands uses only the Euro (you may find some random touristy places that accept dollars, but that is the exception and not the rule).

It is important to note that some stores (especially grocery stores) do not take credit cards. 

Instead of taxis, look for Uber. They are plentiful and (usually) cheaper than taxis. Set up an account and link it to your payment method before hand so you won't have to deal with cash.

Dining out in Amsterdam is somewhat expensive, but to lesson the blow you do not need to tip like in the US. Just a couple Euro at most is plenty. Expect to pay at least 25-30 Euro for dinner. Drinks are never free refills (and sometimes beer & wine is cheaper than soda!) Try to avoid restaurants in the tourist areas (just venture a block or two away). One red flag is if the restaurant has someone standing out front with an English menu trying to get you to go inside...go somewhere else. Decent restaurants don't need to beg for customers. 

There are just way too many things to see to try and discuss. Just search for top attractions in Amsterdam and you'll find plenty. One thing to note - the Anne Frank House now requires tickets to be purchased online in advance. They release tickets at random intervals - but the earlier you look, the more likely you are to find the time you want. Don't be discouraged if it is sold out for the dates you are looking at - keep coming back and searching. They release tickets even the day before. 

If you have any other questions that a local can answer feel free to shoot me a message. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

We're doing a TA from Miami and ending up in Amsterdam in May.  We're only there for 2 nights but our must's are the Anne Frank and the Van Gogh museums.  Also, it's the end of the Tulip Festival, which I hear is spectacular,  but as we are there that very last weekend of the event, I'm not sure how much of it we'll be able to see.

I hope not to disappoint you too much, but the flowers are blooming earlier than normal this year (because of a mild winter/early spring). I saw the first spring flowers blooming by my office at the end of February! 

2 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I hope not to disappoint you too much, but the flowers are blooming earlier than normal this year (because of a mild winter/early spring). I saw the first spring flowers blooming by my office at the end of February! 

Yeah, I kinda figured that.  Oh well; maybe soon then.  It looks spectacular though.  Thanks.

It's very walkable, and a day or multi-day pass for public transport is inexpensive.  

Coffee shops do not sell coffee, they sell legal marijuana. A 'tourist package' for about 15 euro includes a pipe and lighter....I have been told.  🙂

Go to Rembrandt Square to see the bronze Night Watch statues.  

Cheese. Go to a local market, get some bread and cheese, and have a nice picnic.  They also sell shopping bags that fold up and fit in your purse or backpack. 

And of course, Anne Frank House (you must make reservations!) and the Rijksmuseum.  Just...walk around, look at the architecture and the drunken houses and the canals.

WATCH FOR BIKES. They have their own lane.  In the morning, sit at a cafe and watch all the bike carriers for toddler and infants going to daycare and preschool.  

It's a beautiful city.  Enjoy.

• Like 2

The tram system is very easy to do.  We used it to travel all over the main attractions to the city in our 2 days there.  Also check out free walking tours (you do tip).  We did a wonderful food tasting free tour that was so fun.  Rijks museum was wonderful and we saw as much as we could for a half day. Anne Frank's house  there is a pancake place ( more like crapes) right by there.  Cheese.  We also walked alot over the many bridges and took a boat ride through the canals.  So much to do!

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Coffee shops do not sell coffee, they sell legal marijuana. A 'tourist package' for about 15 euro includes a pipe and lighter....I have been told.  🙂

I mean, many of them definitely sell coffee. Some of them actually have really good coffee...just, not only coffee 🙂

Edited by Zach1213
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, beachnag said:

I have a few questions about visiting this city.  Do I need Euro dollars,    what are the best places to visit.  Home much do we need  for Taxi,  Food,  etc.

Apply for a Schwab checking account with ATM card. We used this on our trip to Rome and Greek Isles cruise. You can withdraw at any ATM and fees are returned on statements. While in Europe us will get Euros or whatever currency used at specific location. Very easy to use when u don’t want to carry lots of money ie Las Vegas. Limit of $1000 withdrawal per day.

4 minutes ago, LPut714 said:

Apply for a Schwab checking account with ATM card. We used this on our trip to Rome and Greek Isles cruise. You can withdraw at any ATM and fees are returned on statements. While in Europe us will get Euros or whatever currency used at specific location. Very easy to use when u don’t want to carry lots of money ie Las Vegas. Limit of $1000 withdrawal per day.

Our credit card does that as well - check your provider.

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I mean, many of them definitely sell coffee. Some of them actually have really good coffee...just, not only coffee 🙂

Whatever you do, do not smoke it on your rooms balcony or there will be a very angry thread started on here. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

It's very walkable, and a day or multi-day pass for public transport is inexpensive.  

Go to Rembrandt Square to see the bronze Night Watch statues.  

Cheese. Go to a local market, get some bread and cheese, and have a nice picnic.  They also sell shopping bags that fold up and fit in your purse or backpack. 

And of course, Anne Frank House (you must make reservations!) and the Rijksmuseum.  Just...walk around, look at the architecture and the drunken houses and the canals.

WATCH FOR BIKES. They have their own lane.  In the morning, sit at a cafe and watch all the bike carriers for toddler and infants going to daycare and preschool.  

It's a beautiful city.  Enjoy.

One of the last times I was there a friend had a born and raised local join our group for dinner.  The local said it is technically illegal for foreigners to do weed.  I asked how that could be given they are so well known for it, but she swore that was the case.  Interestingly, she said it is illegal to walk around with a beer, but a local can walk around while ingesting marijuana (smoking, eating, or whatever).  

I have no idea if what she said is true.  They may just enforce the law on very rare occasions, or is she was just wrong.  But she was a very intelligent person so I had zero reason to doubt her.  

Edited by topnole

6 hours ago, beachnag said:

As others have said Euros...but realize you can use credit card... and also get Euros, as needed, from ATMs...

Stay somewhere centrally located.  Last visit, just prior to the pandemic, we stayed both pre- and post-cruise at the Kimpton DeWitt...great location near Central Train Station, pick up point for canal cruises...and great "walking around" area...

We also hired a guide for a small group tour OUTSIDE of Amsterdam--to Leiden, Marken, etc...Windmills, countryside, picturesque smaller towns...

In town, the Anne Frank House and Van Gogh Museum often have long lines and it helps to have pre-reserved tickets and slots.  Rijksmuseum is a pretty good art museum with Rembrandt's Nightwatch and a lot of other great art.  We once had a tour that took us straight through the Red Light District at night...very interesting... To me, the Portuguese Synagogue is a MUST--built in 1675 with an incredible history including escaping destruction at the hands of the N*zis during WWII...We had a great tour a few years back of that and the Jewish Museum.

And the Central area of Amsterdam is just great for walking around.  Find a restaurant with outdoor tables next to a canal...Take a canal cruise--find a smaller boat for that--much better than a bigger crowded ship...right near the train station you can find the places selling these...see what the boats look like before you book...

Good luck..and have fun...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topnole said:

The local said it is technically illegal for foreigners to do weed.  I asked how that could be given they are so well known for it, but she swore that was the case.  Interestingly, she said it is illegal to walk around with a beer, but a local can walk around while ingesting marijuana (smoking, eating, or whatever).  

Sadly you spoke to a very misinformed local. This may come as a surprise to many, but in the Netherlands by law the possession of weed is illegal and so is the sale. Yes, the possession of weed is illegal in the Netherlands, for everyone not just tourists. However the (in)famous Dutch tolerance policy, dictates that a person who has less than 5 grams of weed for personal use won’t be prosecuted. Coffeeshops are only allowed to have a limited amount of weed on the premises or else they too can be prosecuted. Those found in the possession of more than 5 grams of weed can and will be prosecuted. 
In order to stop the influx of so-called “drugs tourists” from countries like Belgium, France and Germany, coffeeshops in certain parts of the country are not allowed to sell weed to non-residents. This is basically the case in the entire border region. In these areas you need to be able to prove you’re a Dutch resident before being allowed to enter a coffeeshop. There was talk that this ban would be applied in Amsterdam as well, but they decided against it. So tourists can still enter a coffeeshop in Amsterdam and buy <5 grams of weed. Please don’t take just my word for it, see the official website of the Dutch government https://www.government.nl/topics/drugs/am-i-committing-a-criminal-offence-if-i-possess-produce-or-deal-in-drugs
Then the alcohol ban. In order to prevent disturbances, in large parts of Amsterdam it’s not allowed to consume alcohol in public areas. One of these areas is Dam Square. Amongst tourists the steps of our National Monument are a popular location to sit and drink a beer, but it’s not allowed there and I have personally witnessed police officers ordering people to pour their beer into the gutter. You are of course allowed to drink alcohol on one of the many outdoor terraces. 

• Like 1