2022 Baltic cruises

ETinCA

We are on the Nieuw Statendam for the 28 day cruise on July 6, 2022. The first 10 days is the Baltic leg. The Norwegian Getaway just canceled their Baltic season it seems...June 13 through October 9. Anyone else getting concerned about this being canceled and the ship being redeployed? Final payment is coming up in a few weeks, and it isn't cheap for 28 days 🙂   Just wondering thoughts and what others are doing.

Thanks

2 hours ago, ETinCA said:

We are on the Nieuw Statendam for the 28 day cruise on July 6, 2022. The first 10 days is the Baltic leg. The Norwegian Getaway just canceled their Baltic season it seems...June 13 through October 9. Anyone else getting concerned about this being canceled and the ship being redeployed? Final payment is coming up in a few weeks, and it isn't cheap for 28 days 🙂   Just wondering thoughts and what others are doing.

Thanks

I'm on that 28 day too.  I'm very concerned that it will be canceled... honestly, maybe a little relieved if they did because who knows what will happen in that area.

Anyway, Princess also canceled their Baltic cruises today. I figure Holland will/may follow soon. The problem is that we have many other things going on before the cruise that are all up in the air now.

44 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The new itineraries for the Baltic are on the HAL site and for the most part look good with some new ports for me to replace St Petersburg, Russia.  Provided the Ukraine war has settled or at least hasn't spread, I would still consider going.

Looks like the only port change so far is substituting Klaipeda, Lithuania instead of St. Petersburg.  Also, instead of doing an overnight, as was the plan with St. Petersburg, it looks like they just added a sea day after the 1-day Klaipeda stop.

It seems like the whole region is a bit unstable currently...hopefully that changes, but if not, all three ports of Klaipeda, Tallinn, and Helsinki are in jeopardy I'm guessing. I didn't know Princess also canceled today too. I guess we will take a wait and see approach over the next two weeks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ETinCA said:

It seems like the whole region is a bit unstable currently...hopefully that changes, but if not, all three ports of Klaipeda, Tallinn, and Helsinki are in jeopardy I'm guessing. I didn't know Princess also canceled today too. I guess we will take a wait and see approach over the next two weeks.

With all that's happened over the last 3 weeks, a lot more can change before your final payment in 2 weeks.  If HAL doesn't outright cancel, maybe they will extend the final payment date a month or so, similar to what they have done a number of times over the last year due to COVID.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ETinCA said:

I think what we're going to do is cancel the 10 day part of the cruise that went up to Finland and Tallin and instead do some other land tours in Europe. We'll then join the cruise for the last 18 days that goes from Copenhagen to Boston.

I've never been to Europe so any place we get to visit will be wonderful.

• Like 1

I noticed tonight that the prices dropped dramatically on some cabin classes too. Especially the inside rooms. Looks like people are dropping off.

From what I can see, the Nieuw Statendam only does the Baltics June 10 and July 6 this season. My guess would be they may reroute the ship to closer locations for those two dates, like Norway, or Spain/France/Portugal maybe? Just speculation....

Edited by ETinCA
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:25 PM, ETinCA said:

I noticed tonight that the prices dropped dramatically on some cabin classes too. Especially the inside rooms. Looks like people are dropping off.

From what I can see, the Nieuw Statendam only does the Baltics June 10 and July 6 this season. My guess would be they may reroute the ship to closer locations for those two dates, like Norway, or Spain/France/Portugal maybe? Just speculation....

This would be my guess also. I would assume they will want to sail somewhere if at all possible rather than sit empty for those two cruises. Even if the new itinerary has fewer people onboard. 

I just read today the Russians are accusing Ukraine of,planting mines in the Black sea which could seep through the Bosphorous to the Med …that is a very scary thought …i dont want any ship to be blown up 

this whole war is really getting out of hand …very scary 

if going to Turkey were not possible what alternatives ports could we look at 

i.m a little nervous …I just paid in full 

After 3 years of Covid scares …i really hope this is not the next big scare and …pushing that famous button ….we need a break 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minoushka said:

I just read today the Russians are accusing Ukraine of,planting mines in the Black sea which could seep through the Bosphorous to the Med …that is a very scary thought …i dont want any ship to be blown up 

Take the propaganda with a grain of salt until it is verified by reputable sources. 
If it does become that dangerous, you can be sure HAL won't be sailing there. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Minoushka said:

After 3 years of Covid scares …i really hope this is not the next big scare and …pushing that famous button ….we need a break 

You believe what the Russian government is claiming???????

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Minoushka said:

"Drift" mines haven't been used since WW1.  They are not effective, as they are not targetable, and are banned.  Modern mines are planted on the sea bed, and release when pressure waves or magnetic field from a ship activates them.  Modern mines are designed to deactivate if they break their moorings and float free, like a drift mine.  Also, any mines placed in the Black Sea would be by Russia, not Ukraine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

"Drift" mines haven't been used since WW1.  They are not effective, as they are not targetable, and are banned.  Modern mines are planted on the sea bed, and release when pressure waves or magnetic field from a ship activates them.  Modern mines are designed to deactivate if they break their moorings and float free, like a drift mine.  Also, any mines placed in the Black Sea would be by Russia, not Ukraine.

Hmmm. Whose information do I trust more, Russian propaganda or our very helpful former chief engineer? Actually, that's a no brainer. Thanks as always, Chief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1